X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

completed OBD monitors in a 10 minute roadtest

I want a F'N scantool with Bi Directional that can make a PCM Sh@t or get off the pot by forcing it to expedite some tests to complete monitors and make up it's mind in an automated Key On Engine running matter in park without having drive a car several days to be completed. I would dump a shot of vodka on each O2 sensor, to get the O2 heater monitor to set ,and the rest in the gas tank for a completed Evap monitor. Been road testing a 2003 Chrysler Town and Country 2 days already. Sh@t something out or die B@tch!
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
    I want a F'N scantool with Bi Directional that can make a PCM Sh@t or get off the pot by forcing it to expedite some tests to complete monitors and make up it's mind in an automated Key On Engine running matter in park without having drive a car several days to be completed. I would dump a shot of vodka on each O2 sensor, to get the O2 heater monitor to set ,and the rest in the gas tank for a completed Evap monitor. Been road testing a 2003 Chrysler Town and Country 2 days already. Sh@t something out or die B@tch!
    Any time you have one that takes a long time to run the monitors take a look at the Mode 6 info to see if any tests are failing. Wanna bet some O2 test are flunking on your Chrysler? I've got screen shots from a Dakota that had 1500 miles on it and it wouldn't run EGR, EVAP and Cat monitors. Had bad o2s. No codes.
    Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• sbreland73
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Witsend
      It's not up to the "scan tool" to set monitors, it's a manufacture thing. VW and Audi have that built into their PCMs, and you can run most of the tests in the shop.
      S. Breland

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Any time you have one that takes a long time to run the monitors take a look at the Mode 6 info to see if any tests are failing. Wanna bet some O2 test are flunking on your Chrysler? I've got screen shots from a Dakota that had 1500 miles on it and it wouldn't run EGR, EVAP and Cat monitors. Had bad o2s. No codes.
        Joe
        No dedicated fuse for O2 heater circuit in wiring diagram and other than Ohm check or put a light bulb in series , What should I look at
        All the monitors were complete before with no codes related an O2 heater circuits failure, only had a code P0456 for very small evap leak.and My brother already replaced the Diagnostic pump and some hoses I told him to , and cleared the P0455 gross leak code , but 3 days later a very small evap leak code set.
        I told him that the filler neck at the top inside of it looks to have a hairline crack that's barely visible, but as common as cracked filler tubes are , I could be wrong and it might be just a casting mark and I can't find tiny leaks with out a decent smoke machine with tracer dye
        The test lane here will pass a car with an incomplete evap monitor, if it hasn't failed before, so if all else is ready and no codes are set or pending I could get it through for him without dropping more cash . So I sparingly smeared some dielectric grease at the area of the crack in filler neck and put the cap on and hoped several rides over 2 days would be enough to complete monitors and get a pass.

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

I usually find SMALL LEAKS in tires/rims/valves using soap and water mixture.
          It works on EVAP systems too when you put a small amount of pressure on a closed system.
          It takes a bit of experimenting to get the soap concentration right.

Bubbles is bubbles....LOL

Joe has a good point about checking Mode-$06

Making sure of coolant and IAT temperatures at start-up is important and the self testing takes less time when the fuel tank is kept near 60% to 70%.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

I'm just concerned with completing the O2 Heater monitor because most cars will get a pass here with an incomplete Evap monitor as long as it didn't have a past failure or any pending leak codes, then all be Golden (just like my genuine MGD Hoagie formula GL5 antifreeze)

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

I looked further at the O2 heater circuits. Downstream O2 sensor heater ckt is straight forward battery power from the auto shutdown relay, unmonitored ,and has a direct path to ground. Downstream O2 sensor Heater measured about 5 ohms and draws about 1.4amps according to my amp meter in hooked in series with my power probe.
              The upstream O2 sensor has a monitored Heater circuit, that both the power and ground side of it's heater circuit wires go to the pcm. The O2 heater circuit measured 2.5 ohms (half resistance of downstream sensor heater)and draws about 3 amps of current (nearly twice the amperage of the downstream o2 sensor heater).
              My MGD meter in my head tells that I'm not drawing enough beer, but the upstream O2 sensor Heater is drawing more juice than it's brainbox can handle
              to make up it's mind, sh@t out a heater code and basically to tell me to slam a new upstream o2. Found a handy chart that shows what helps to complete some monitors on chryslers

Last edited by Witsend; 12-19-2014, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...