Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phil Kleis
    • Oct 2008

4 Channel Vantage Pro.

I have been using a Modis and like the scope. I like the Vantage Pro and would like it even better if made available in 4 channels with better graphics like the Modis. I don't like having a scan tool tied to a scope. Who else is with me? If enough of us tell Snap On maybe we can have it our way.
  • sdlindsey
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Phil Kleis
    I have been using a Modis and like the scope. I like the Vantage Pro and would like it even better if made available in 4 channels with better graphics like the Modis. I don't like having a scan tool tied to a scope. Who else is with me? If enough of us tell Snap On maybe we can have it our way.
    I primarily use my MODIS as a scope. I use a SOLUS as my aftermarket scanner of choice. I find the SOLUS's size, weight, and speed to be desirable when using a scan tool. I've had a Vantage Pro in the past, and it is a very good tool -- but the 4 channels and the nicer screen really make the MODIS scope stand out.

If Snap On made a 4 channel Vantage SuperPro with a MODIS screen it might be too pricey

Comment

• Phil Kleis
      • Oct 2008

I would rather not buy a Modis and a Solus Pro to have a 4 channel scope and scan tool seperate.

Comment

• sdlindsey
        • Mar 2008

I would rather not buy a Modis and a Solus Pro to have a 4 channel scope and scan tool seperate.
        I wasn't suggesting that, I was saying that is what I have ended up with. Originally I just had the MODIS and made do with it. I traded a Vantage Pro and a MTG2500 in for the MODIS -- a decision that came with some drawbacks but which ultimately was a good move.

To a guy with no equipment looking to make the move up into owning his own scope and scanner I would recommend a Vantage Pro and a Solus Pro. Hard to beat both tools individually, and always good to have two tools in the event of catastrophe. Plus, with seperate tools, you can use bidirectional controls and the scope at the same time.

Have you considered a Pico Scope? I'm not overly fond of a laptop and extra dangling stuff, but the Pico Scope looks like a fantastic scope, and is quite affordable if you have a laptop.

Comment

• No-Start
          • Oct 2006

Would it be safe to say that you're looking for something like this?

Sorry, it doesn't exist.

No-Start.
          Attached Files

Comment

• cdrbrnr
            • Apr 2008

Dreamer

I have been asking reps from Snap on and OTC for a dedicated hand held 4 channel for 3 years now.

From what they have told me I don't see it coming.

I purchased a Modis to go with my heritage Vantage, and after the smoke clears in Verus land, I plan to add a Pico 4 channel to the arsenal.

It does not hurt to ask.
            If you want it, then figure out how to get it.

Comment

• No-Start
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by cdrbrnr
              I have been asking reps from Snap on and OTC for a dedicated hand held 4 channel for 3 years now.

Obviously you missed the OTC Solarity.

Consider yourself lucky.

No-Start.

Comment

• cdrbrnr
                • Apr 2008

Negative

Originally posted by No-Start
                Obviously you missed the OTC Solarity.

Consider yourself lucky.

No-Start.
                It took my months to get the Boss's money back from a Solarity ( we got the Mac red case version ) purchase. That is also why I purchased my own Modis. All I wanted was the hand held 4 channel at the time.

That run also helped me make contact with Otc only to find out there were no fixes coming at the time.

Comment

• Steve6911
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cdrbrnr

I purchased a Modis to go with my heritage Vantage, and after the smoke clears in Verus land, I plan to add a Pico 4 channel to the arsenal.

It does not hurt to ask.

If you have a Modis and maybe and Verus in the future(???) why do you want to purchase a Pico?

Comment

• cdrbrnr
                    • Apr 2008

Reasoning

Originally posted by Steve6911
                    If you have a Modis and maybe and Verus in the future(???) why do you want to purchase a Pico?
                    I need a Verus in my hands to see what it will do for me first.

And I will probably add the Pico anyways when I can make fit in the budget because there are times I could have two running in different bays going after intermittent problems.

Comment

• Phil Kleis
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by sdlindsey
                      I wasn't suggesting that, I was saying that is what I have ended up with. Originally I just had the MODIS and made do with it. I traded a Vantage Pro and a MTG2500 in for the MODIS -- a decision that came with some drawbacks but which ultimately was a good move.

To a guy with no equipment looking to make the move up into owning his own scope and scanner I would recommend a Vantage Pro and a Solus Pro. Hard to beat both tools individually, and always good to have two tools in the event of catastrophe. Plus, with separate tools, you can use bidirectional controls and the scope at the same time.

Have you considered a Pico Scope? I'm not overly fond of a laptop and extra dangling stuff, but the Pico Scope looks like a fantastic scope, and is quite affordable if you have a laptop.

I have thought of Pico but the idea of wires connecting to both the car and laptop and Pico box and my clumsy work habits just don't sound like a good combination. Get into fast mode with a high car count day flinging that laptop and Pico bundle around is just asking for trouble. I can fly with my fluke scope or vantage pro and go out to the parking lot to look at a car then to the guy next to me and look at his car and back to my bay while holding onto the handheld scope and probes in one hand. I would like that ability with 4 channels even though I hardly ever need more than 2 channels. Maybe I should buy an older Modis off ebay for cheap and just use the scope. Is there any advantage with the scopes between the older Modis and the Modis elite?

Comment

• No-Start
                        • Oct 2006

Is there any advantage with the scopes between the older Modis and the Modis elite?
                        Not really.

The new style Modis is just a little faster when responding to your inputs.

No-Start.

Comment

• Phil Kleis
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by No-Start
                          Not really.

The new style Modis is just a little faster when responding to your inputs.

No-Start.

Thanks

I have another question. I did some secondary ignition today on the Vantage Pro. I did parade and raster. When I transfered the files to shop stream connect the movie play back showed parade with the wave forms doubled up on top of each other. The raster movie play back only showed vertical lines going from the bottom of the screen to the top of the screen. Do you know what caused the files to play back like that?

Comment

• No-Start
                            • Oct 2006

Incompatibility between the Shopstream Connect software and the Vantage Pro. I don't think the SC software was ever designed for the Vantage Pro. We just found that we could use it for the Vantage Pro files also.

No-Start.

Comment

• MasterWrench
                              • Oct 2006

There is an issue with SSC and using a certain KV and/or time that SSC does not do well with. I'd have to do some searching here to come up with it exactly. I'll take a look and see what I can find.
                              MasterWrench

Comment

Working...