Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McCalls Garage
    • Jul 2010

compact flash card question

Sorry to ask such basic questions. My modis does not have the u.s.b port to connect to a p.c. and I purchased a flash card(4gb)to save to, but the modis says that there isn't enough room to save to card. So....

What size should I buy?

I am wanting to use S.S.C. and be able to print. I don't really want to buy another printer just to use the infrared port.

Do a lot of you print test results for customers? I feel it could supply good evidence of why you are suggesting a repair and/or show fix.

Once again sorry for the basic operational question
  • crackerclicker
    • May 2008

i hate to post something without having facts to back it up, but i will in this case. as far as i know, the 4 gig card is actually too big. you need to use a 2 gig or smaller for it to work properly. OR the brand of card you have isn't compatible (i am actually less sure of this statement, but may be true).
    hope this helps until someone more knowing answers your question.
    Last edited by crackerclicker; 07-25-2010, 11:46 AM. Reason: bad grammer

Comment

• kebo1970
      • Nov 2008

printouts for customers

most customers just want the vehicle fixed they don't care about printouts of data or waveforms. i tried printouts for my customers and most said they did'nt understand them. people are interested in price and getting back on the road. i think you need a smaller volume card.
      Last edited by kebo1970; 07-25-2010, 05:33 PM. Reason: added a sentence

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Make sure you have the Modis set up to save the the Top CF. If not, it is still trying to save to card under the left handgrip. That may be why you are getting the error message.
        Also, you only need a 512MB card. Your Modis can only keep track of a certain number of saved files. Using a larger card does not allow you to save more files, but it does slow it down.

Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• McCalls Garage
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
          Make sure you have the Modis set up to save the the Top CF. If not, it is still trying to save to card under the left handgrip. That may be why you are getting the error message.
          Also, you only need a 512MB card. Your Modis can only keep track of a certain number of saved files. Using a larger card does not allow you to save more files, but it does slow it down.

Joe
          Thanks for the info I had the top CF selected, I can't seem to find a 512mb locally...just on some "memory web site stores"

Anyway, Thank you all for your time. Guess I should worry about learning to use the modis as a diag. tool and not about transferring data

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by McCalls Garage
            Thanks for the info I had the top CF selected, I can't seem to find a 512mb locally...just on some "memory web site stores"

Anyway, Thank you all for your time. Guess I should worry about learning to use the modis as a diag. tool and not about transferring data
            The "DATA" file created by the machine and it's program has the usual Windows limitation of 500 files per FOLDER.
            Save the files. Rename the folder to whatever makes sense for you, or you can create another folder on your PC using customer names or vehicles, etc.
            Make another empty "DATA" folder under the "USER" folder on the CF-card and away you go. Store another 500 files and save the data again.
            This way you never lose what you have done and you now have your own database of known good or bad waveforms from the labscope or known good or bad datastream signals from the scanner portion.
            Referring back to known good or bad information helps you recognize what's good or bad on the vehicle you're currently working on, so saving data actually can help you "use the modis as a diag. tool"

If you attend any SO trainers sessions, they are constantly pulling up old recorded, saved files to show you what you can do and what the data means.

Saving and RETRIEVING files can also cover your fanny when someone attempts to come back 6 months later claiming things were never right last time they were in for repair.
            The proof is right on the screen (IF the SSC program works) show them the bad data/waveform file (which has a date & time stamp) and then show them the corrected data/waveform (which has a date & time stamp) that you saved after you VERIFIED your previous repair.

Saving and retrieving data can be very usefull both as a learning/training tool as well as a CYA tool (again, as long as SSC works, but that's an ongoing issue with SO)

2-gig cards seem to work fine for lots of people. The "DATA" folder is just limited to the "windows" limit of 500 files per folder.

Comment

• Kronz070
              • Aug 2010

I had the same problem.

I also bought a 4gb card that didn't work. Called tech support and they did inform me that I had a card that was "too big" for the Modis to recognize. I asked the Snap-On rep about it & asked if he had any leftover cards from Modis updates. Indeed he did, a whole drawer I got to choose one from. I believe I picked up a 512 which is more than enough room, from what I'm told.

I just made sure to format it using the computer first & it works great. This would be the first time I've come across this issue, & still don't understand it.

Hope this helps ya. I'm still stuck with a 4gb CF card that I'm gonna try to unload on ebay. Good luck.

Comment

• McCalls Garage
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Kronz070
                I also bought a 4gb card that didn't work. Called tech support and they did inform me that I had a card that was "too big" for the Modis to recognize. I asked the Snap-On rep about it & asked if he had any leftover cards from Modis updates. Indeed he did, a whole drawer I got to choose one from. I believe I picked up a 512 which is more than enough room, from what I'm told.

I just made sure to format it using the computer first & it works great. This would be the first time I've come across this issue, & still don't understand it.

Hope this helps ya. I'm still stuck with a 4gb CF card that I'm gonna try to unload on ebay. Good luck.
                Well, I bought a 512 off of an internet store....but then there was a smoking deal for a newer modis w/ euro and 10.2 and a few euro adapters and s keys. So I decided to buy that one and now I need to sell the older one.

So if anyone knows someone that needs a nice clean older modis w/ 10.2. pm me

Comment

Working...