Dodge SKIM Clear problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Very cool, today a shop in town called me. They had just installed a used steering column into an 02 caravan, and you guessed it. They plugged in the SKIM module from the used column. Started and died. Not content with that they tried to start it several more times. I unplugged the SKIM module and used the SKIM clear function with the J2534 tool box. Left the SKIM module unplugged and the vehicle started. The little red light stays on now in the information center but it's an old rusted out 02 Caravan, that's the least of it's problems. Shop happy, customer happy. Hero status for 10 minutes. I'm wondering if after clearing the SKIM if I could have plugged the old SKIM module back in and had everything functioning again.

Comment

• jbakers1
      • Oct 2007

Clear skim problem

I Believe Chrysler has two anti theft devices one is the skim and the other is Vtss. The clear Skim function will clear the skim but not the Vtss. The VTSS can be turned off on a Vehicle that has Vtss enabled with a DRB3 but only on a vehicle that it is enabled on. So if you have a vehicle without skim and without VTSS and you install a module without skim but with VTSS the it still will not start unless you get VTSS Disabled. This can be done but can be tricky. Had to install a key swicth in drivers door once to get system turned off by first enabling it with DRB and The disabling it with the key in driver door also if vehicle has remotes operating the remote unlock disables the system. There is some info for this problem on IATN Also. Try to stick with new modules and the headaches are not as bad.
      jbakers1, Yakima Wa
      I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
        • Apr 2011

I see people with the SKIM problem. What I do is call the dealer to get the original part number of the PCM if it's not the original one or one similar. Then I look for that part number instead of guessing if the PCM I bought is the right one. U can also tell just by the KEYS if the car has SKIM. Not sure why people have a problem with these cars when purchasing or installing used PCM's. That's my deal and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• jbakers1
          • Oct 2007

skim problem

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
          I see people with the SKIM problem. What I do is call the dealer to get the original part number of the PCM if it's not the original one or one similar. Then I look for that part number instead of guessing if the PCM I bought is the right one. U can also tell just by the KEYS if the car has SKIM. Not sure why people have a problem with these cars when purchasing or installing used PCM's. That's my deal and I'm sticking to it.
          The parts # can be the same and still not work also if you get one from the recycle center you do not get a chance to see the keys of the donor vehicle. That is why we have problem with the skim ones.
          jbakers1, Yakima Wa
          I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Comment

• Ruston11
            • Feb 2015

I have also heard the clear skim feature is for clearing skim from pcm so it can be used in a car without skim. I have tried many times and have had no success.
            One of the vehicles i was trying to get this to work on i took the steering column cover and the harness plug was there for a skimmodule. I then called the dodge dealer and gave them the vin and they gave me a security pin for a car with no skim. I am curious if i plugged in a skim module and taped a random security(gray) key into the module would i then be able to use a used pcm. If anyone has any input on this please respond. Rusty

Comment

• sidepipe87
              • Oct 2015

I came across this thread a while ago as I was having the same issue. It seems to me based on the posts I've seen across the forum that the people that are having luck with this working are trying it on cars that have an SBEC pcm. The cars that it does not seem to work on are mainly pre CAN NGC pcm cars. My theory is that the ToolBox is always looking at the same address in ROM to disable the SKIM but the SKIM enabled flag is NOT in the same location on all PCMs. I have verified this using the DRB since it will show you the location in memory where the feature resides. I have emailed Drew Tech about this hoping that I could talk to one of the developers to try to get this resolved for us but so far they haven't even responded to me.

Comment

• diesel71
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by sidepipe87
                I came across this thread a while ago as I was having the same issue. It seems to me based on the posts I've seen across the forum that the people that are having luck with this working are trying it on cars that have an SBEC pcm. The cars that it does not seem to work on are mainly pre CAN NGC pcm cars. My theory is that the ToolBox is always looking at the same address in ROM to disable the SKIM but the SKIM enabled flag is NOT in the same location on all PCMs. I have verified this using the DRB since it will show you the location in memory where the feature resides. I have emailed Drew Tech about this hoping that I could talk to one of the developers to try to get this resolved for us but so far they haven't even responded to me.
                that is some good information, hopefully drew tech can make this work in the future.

Comment

• sidepipe87
                  • Oct 2015

If I don't hear anything back I may take it upon myself to try to get it done. They have their implementation of the J2534 programming API on their website and I am an application developer by day with pcm reprogramming just being a hobby for me.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                    • Apr 2011

That would be amazing!!! If you do this please let us know. I need this bc the Pod is expensive and the Clones tend to fail. They cost almost $500 and it would suck if I purchase one and it dies on me. Hope you get to do this one day. 😁

Comment

• sidepipe87
                      • Oct 2015

I will certainly post back here and let you all know

Comment

• Ruston11
                        • Feb 2015

Skim Clear

You can only use used pcm on chrysler vehicles with security it will not work on non security.

Comment

• sidepipe87
                          • Oct 2015

I'm not sure who told you that but it is wrong.

If you have a used non SKIM computer you can put it in any non SKIM car, or SKIM car IF you disconnect the SKIM module.

If you have a used SKIM computer you can put it in any SKIM car as long as you flash the VIN of the new car into it OR you can put it into any non SKIM car if you use the SKIM clear functionality in the Drew Tech tool box. The problem is it only works on SBEC computers and they don't care. I called and talked to their development department and they basically said it is what it is and I can talk to their sales dept... So they can try to charge me to fix something that is intended to work already and just doesn't and they don't know why? No thanks. I'll figure it out on my own.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                            • Apr 2011

Ok, so I just programmed the VIN and mileage on a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country. What gives??? Only 2003 the PPT doesn't work on? I have done 2004 and 2005, but only 2003 has given me problems. Any ideas???

Comment

• sidepipe87
                              • Oct 2015

02-03 should work the same since they are both SBEC as should 04-05 they are both NGC. Was the 03 on a van with SKIM? If so you cannot do it while the SKIM module is plugged in, it must be unplugged when you program the VIN in my experience.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                                • Apr 2011

Yes, the 2003 ones I have done had SKIM. I will try this next time and report. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...