Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trindaddy
    • Jan 2010

Chrysler programming help please

Hey folks. I am researching using the PSP1 on the last of the US made cars, Chrysler. It seem you can't do much preliminary stuff on the TechAuthority without purchasing the subscription first.
    Before i purchase could you guys give me some more advise? Here's the scenario:
    Another shop wants me to take over this 2005 Neon (1B3ES56C35D262157) that they put a used PCM in. Now it only starts and stalls. I have been doing a lot of reading on this but have not found specific instructions. Saw Steve's post regarding skim and toolbox. I apparently can't use the Toolbox2 with my Actia PSP1 so forget that. I have used the write VIN function of the Modis before, but i suspect you'll tell me i need to do more.
    -Is the BCM going to be damaged (written to w/wrong skim code)?
    -I haven't seen car or keys yet. Shop Key suggests it has skim mod. Do all Neons/Chrtslers of this vintage?
    -Can i do this job using the jbox.
    -Where at Techauthority can i find if my PSP1 (ActiaXS) is compatible?

Sorry i'm such a pain about this programming stuff now. I promise after i get familiar i'll start helping instead of asking all the time.

Gratefully,

Neil
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Don't think you can do it with out a DRB lll, even if you enter the VIN, you'll have to enter the 4 digit security code from the SKIM and key. Look up PCM replacement on Shop Key. Not sure I'm explaining right. But even if you have a DRB lll I think you have to ask a Mopar dealer for the code.

Comment

• Skip
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2008

The SKIM code can be retrieved by the vehicle owner by calling Chrysler or by the dealer with the VIN#. There shouold be information in the owners manual, if it is still there, about who to call for the number. So far, only Chrysler scan tools can do SKIM as I know it. I wouldn't take this one on without a factory scan tool.

Comment

• Trindaddy
        • Jan 2010

I have found much conflicting info on this specific topic on IATN. If you subscribe, check this out:

I always disconnect SKIM module and go to function of changing VIN. When no SKIM module offline DRB does not bother you asking for PIN and let you change VIN like car has no SKIM. After changing VIN connect SKIM back and start the car. I have change more than ...

Question is if this can be done with a Jbox.

Comment

• Kris H
          • Apr 2007

I did a neon several months ago with the passthru proII and it had a skim and all I had to do was re-wright the vin and it started. I installed a used pcm the computer had 4 connectors but I can't remember the year or customer name so no specifics but I do have the old pcm and will give you the part number of it tomorrow.

Comment

• Trindaddy
            • Jan 2010

Hi Kris. The other shop sent the car to the dealer because i was procrastinating! Thats ok, as much as i want to try a "j-flash" on everything, this particular job seemed sketchy. I have read the yeahs and neahs all over IATN and here. Only one way to know for sure (and learn Chrysler SPS) but it looks like i missed this chance. Thanks again to you and everyone else. Till the next one--

Neil

Comment

• Steve6911
              • Feb 2007

Skip
              There is a tool called Dmax which is made just for retriving SKIM codes for Chrysler vehicles, if I remember right it's about $1,500.00
              Way to much to spend unless you do a lot of these. I have a friend at a Dodge dealer that get me the SKIM codes when I need them.

Neil
              You keep trying to flash vehicles that are difficult. Try cutting your teeth on a few easy ones (ie older GM and Fords) This way you get a few under your belt and see how the programs work before you try and tackle a tougher one. People can tell you all day longer how to do it and what to expect but NOTHING comes close to doing it for yourself. You will learn A LOT!

Steve

Comment

• Trindaddy
                • Jan 2010

Steve,

I know what your sayin, i'm just goin where it takes me and tryin to discover what i can about each job before i do it. Of course i drive everyone crazy here in the meantime. I figured this is a good place to ask, lots of smart techs. If they (and you) don't mind helping, others can read about it too. Unfortunately, in the case of this Neon, the more I read the more conflicting info I got. I think each man. site should allow first download /document free, or allow you to poke around without downloading anything. That way people can learn a bit before having to pay while "under the gun" during working hours. I for one, enjoy this forum and appreciate every minute of everyones time.

Comment

• Diagnostic Guru
                  • Apr 2011

On Chrysler Vehicles with SKIM, you simply "Unplug" SKIM Module before you program PCM. Reprogram PCM, write the VIN, and plug SKIM back in and your done. If you don't do this, then you will have to use the DRB-3 on Non CAN Chryslers or the WiTech on CAN Chrysler vehicles to reset the SKIM. Remember that J-2534 is simply "Aftermarket" programming and they do not make it easy. I recommend the Factory Tools if you are doing much programming, they are very easy to program with.

Comment

• Trindaddy
                    • Jan 2010

Hello Mr. Guru, Welcome aboard and thank you for taking the time to address my concern regarding the research i have done. What you have stated is what i have read on IATN, though not as concisely written as your post. I don't believe I have read this on this site yet. When stated as confidently as you did, I believe myself and others will be very interested in this process. How is the process any different when using a used PCM? Is there any truth to the theory of damaging BCMs w/used PCMs?

As a newbie to "flashing", I believe the hardest part is knowing the process and limitations without having to pay website and spend time doing "trial and error" (and possibly doing damage) to find out how/if it can be done. Thanks again, can't wait to try.

Comment

• Steve6911
                      • Feb 2007

[QUOTE=Trindaddy;22832]I don't believe I have read this on this site yet. How is the process any different when using a used PCM? Is there any truth to the theory of damaging BCMs w/used PCMs?

QUOTE]

Read my posts #1 and 3

Comment

• Trindaddy
                        • Jan 2010

[QUOTE=Diagnostic Guru;22831]On Chrysler Vehicles with SKIM, you simply "Unplug" SKIM Module before you program PCM. Reprogram PCM, write the VIN, and plug SKIM back in and your done. If you don't do this, then you will have to use the DRB-3 on Non CAN Chryslers or the WiTech on CAN Chrysler vehicles to reset the SKIM.

It was this statement that i haven't seen here, found interesting, and was referring to. Didn't you find this new/valueable? I had read your earlier post Steve, but found it was "tied", to some extent, to using the "Toolbox2" which I (and many others) can't use. Your post clearly outlines the danger of using used modules and the capabilities of the "Toolbox" if that is what you are re-illustrating. It was your post that prompted me to continue to research this topic. Again, thanks.

Comment

• tech12
                          • Oct 2010

Tech Authority Programming

Thanks Guru - Your method worked great for me today. I was called to program a 2004 Dodge SX 2.0. My cust had installed a used ECM. He said that he had not turned on the key with the used ECM installed. This was my first time programming a Dodge/Chrysler. I followed your instructions - Unplugged the SKIM module, installed the program, reset the VIN and re-plugged in the SKIM module. Flashed it up and the cust is happy. But I do have a question. The reflash program stated that the calibration in the module was the latest calibration. Could I have just gotten away with resetting the VIN? I did not know if the actual calibration install had anything to do with the process so I went ahead and did the install. Could I have gotten away with just a VIN relearn?

Comment

• aautomaan
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by tech12
                            Thanks Guru - Your method worked great for me today. I was called to program a 2004 Dodge SX 2.0. My cust had installed a used ECM. He said that he had not turned on the key with the used ECM installed. This was my first time programming a Dodge/Chrysler. I followed your instructions - Unplugged the SKIM module, installed the program, reset the VIN and re-plugged in the SKIM module. Flashed it up and the cust is happy. But I do have a question. The reflash program stated that the calibration in the module was the latest calibration. Could I have just gotten away with resetting the VIN? I did not know if the actual calibration install had anything to do with the process so I went ahead and did the install. Could I have gotten away with just a VIN relearn?
                            I think you could have. i haven't had a used controller yet that I have had to flash (not that I am an expert at them yet)
                            the more i learn, the more i realize what i really don't know
                            http://www.hightechautoandtruck.com/

Geoffrey Bell
                            Master Technician
                            Dale City, VA

Comment

• aautomaan
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Trindaddy
                              Hey folks. I am researching using the PSP1 on the last of the US made cars, Chrysler. It seem you can't do much preliminary stuff on the TechAuthority without purchasing the subscription first.
                              Before i purchase could you guys give me some more advise? Here's the scenario:
                              Another shop wants me to take over this 2005 Neon (1B3ES56C35D262157) that they put a used PCM in. Now it only starts and stalls. I have been doing a lot of reading on this but have not found specific instructions. Saw Steve's post regarding skim and toolbox. I apparently can't use the Toolbox2 with my Actia PSP1 so forget that. I have used the write VIN function of the Modis before, but i suspect you'll tell me i need to do more.
                              -Is the BCM going to be damaged (written to w/wrong skim code)?
                              -I haven't seen car or keys yet. Shop Key suggests it has skim mod. Do all Neons/Chrtslers of this vintage?
                              -Can i do this job using the jbox.
                              -Where at Techauthority can i find if my PSP1 (ActiaXS) is compatible?

Sorry i'm such a pain about this programming stuff now. I promise after i get familiar i'll start helping instead of asking all the time.

Gratefully,

Neil
                              If i remember correctly "IME ACTIA XS" (may not be exactly how it is written but close) which i am pretty sure is the SO PSPI is the approved tool listed. i don't think they have approved the PSP II, but i have used that on for the ones i have reflashed. I believe the PSP I came with the original toolbox software that had the vin writing function and mileage write but i don't believe it had the skim functions like toolbox 2.

here is a link from tech authority that i got without a subscription at the bottom of the page "related documents" and the vehicles i have done have run fine with the code set in it.

the more i learn, the more i realize what i really don't know
                              http://www.hightechautoandtruck.com/

Geoffrey Bell
                              Master Technician
                              Dale City, VA

Comment

Working...