Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aautomaan
    • Oct 2007

MDI needed for GM

is it possible for the PSP II to be used in place of the MDI?
    the more i learn, the more i realize what i really don't know
    http://www.hightechautoandtruck.com/

Geoffrey Bell
    Master Technician
    Dale City, VA
  • eddiesverus
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by aautomaan
    is it possible for the PSP II to be used in place of the MDI?
    No, The MDI is to be used exclusivly with the GDS software, but the PSP2 can be used for flash reprograming only of PCM or ECM. note that PSP2 may not support all modules especialy on GMLAN 1 wire low speed systems. Seems to work all Class2 and 2wire GMLAN high speed. A substitude for the MDI is the Bosch VCI Mastertech which is the same tool as the MDI but green rather than blue.
    Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• aautomaan
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by eddiesverus
      No, The MDI is to be used exclusivly with the GDS software, but the PSP2 can be used for flash reprograming only of PCM or ECM. note that PSP2 may not support all modules especialy on GMLAN 1 wire low speed systems. Seems to work all Class2 and 2wire GMLAN high speed. A substitude for the MDI is the Bosch VCI Mastertech which is the same tool as the MDI but green rather than blue.
      i didn't think so. thank you
      the more i learn, the more i realize what i really don't know
      http://www.hightechautoandtruck.com/

Geoffrey Bell
      Master Technician
      Dale City, VA

Comment

• Rich Barton
        • Sep 2007

Morning eddiesverus,

If I was going to buy an mdi am I better to buy it as a bosch vci and then get the mdi software and have both or should I just buy the mdi and forget about the bosch vci?

I dont really need more aftermarket software but if I can get aftermarket/gds and not pay much more why not.

What way do you recomend?

Thanks for your time.
        Rich Barton
        C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• eddiesverus
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Rich Barton
          Morning eddiesverus,

If I was going to buy an mdi am I better to buy it as a bosch vci and then get the mdi software and have both or should I just buy the mdi and forget about the bosch vci?

I dont really need more aftermarket software but if I can get aftermarket/gds and not pay much more why not.

What way do you recomend?

Thanks for your time.
          Sorry for the late response, but I think thats totally up to you, The VCI and MDI are identical hardware, only diffrence is the firmware and software and Price. If you have TIS yearly subscription and don't don't have a Tech2, now there is a WinTech2 emulator that is available for the MDI. This will load the Tech2 into a PC and use the MDI to interface to vehicle. The MasterTech VCI will also work but you need to have the Firmware changed. The MDI or VCI are also good pass-through J-tools. So its totally up to you and what you want.

Comment

• Earl Davis
            • Jan 2009

Sorry for the late response, but I think thats totally up to you, The VCI and MDI are identical hardware, only diffrence is the firmware and software and Price. If you have TIS yearly subscription and don't don't have a Tech2, now there is a WinTech2 emulator that is available for the MDI. This will load the Tech2 into a PC and use the MDI to interface to vehicle. The MasterTech VCI will also work but you need to have the Firmware changed. The MDI or VCI are also good pass-through J-tools. So its totally up to you and what you want.
            Are you using the WinTech2 emulator? I have and MDI and a TIS yearly subscription, but I did not know that the TIS subscription included WinTech2.

Comment

• eddiesverus
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Earl Davis
              Are you using the WinTech2 emulator? I have and MDI and a TIS yearly subscription, but I did not know that the TIS subscription included WinTech2.
              Yes I have downloaded it, but I haven't been able to make it work yet on my VCI, I'm waiting on Bosch to get me the Firmware I need for the VCI. But I will not be able to use my Master tech software anymore once I upgrade it so I'm waiting to decide. To get the WinTech2, just go to the Software Download update Screen to update your Tech2, It will ask you if you what to download the latest version of WinTech2. just read the instruction and follow all screen prompts. as for the GM subscription make sure you have to full package subscription's including Tech2 updates.

Comment

• Earl Davis
                • Jan 2009

Yes I have downloaded it, but I haven't been able to make it work yet on my VCI, I'm waiting on Bosch to get me the Firmware I need for the VCI. But I will not be able to use my Master tech software anymore once I upgrade it so I'm waiting to decide. To get the WinTech2, just go to the Software Download update Screen to update your Tech2, It will ask you if you what to download the latest version of WinTech2. just read the instruction and follow all screen prompts. as for the GM subscription make sure you have to full package subscription's including Tech2 updates.
                Thanks for the explanation, I will follow these steps and see how well it works compared to the Tech2. I know you can use the VCI software with the MDI so maybe you can use the MDI software and VCI software with your VCI. Here is a link to the mastertech software for the MDI.

Comment

• USpMD
                  • Oct 2010

I use the win tech2, works circles around my old tech 2, wonder why it took them so long to put this out, GM should have made this available years ago
                  "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• eddiesverus
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Earl Davis
                    Thanks for the explanation, I will follow these steps and see how well it works compared to the Tech2. I know you can use the VCI software with the MDI so maybe you can use the MDI software and VCI software with your VCI. Here is a link to the mastertech software for the MDI.

http://www.gmdesolutions.com/equipme...00&s=819&p=281
                    Well Bosch say's I can't use my VCI for the GDS2 and WinTech2 only the GM MDI works. Bosch also didn't want to allow me to update and change the firmware to make the VCI work, they want me to purchase a new MDI. That realy sucks on Bosch's part. Now that I'm working at the GM dealer I really need this MDI usage. Has anyone figured out a way to change the firmware on the VCI to the MDI?

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                      • Jan 2011

Well Bosch say's I can't use my VCI for the GDS2 and WinTech2 only the GM MDI works. Bosch also didn't want to allow me to update and change the firmware to make the VCI work, they want me to purchase a new MDI. That realy sucks on Bosch's part. Now that I'm working at the GM dealer I really need this MDI usage. Has anyone figured out a way to change the firmware on the VCI to the MDI?
                      Its the same equipment. I was told unofficially it can be done since its the same equipment. I was also told they were working on getting GM to allow them to license the VCI so you can use it as the MDI with the MDI software. Untill Bosch and GM have controll on how to license and use it as such I don't think there gonna be much help...

Comment

• jm43130
                        • Apr 2008

I am also looking into purchasing a MDI, Bosch rep came in and told me VCI is same tool, and after first of year, there will be a firmware update to allow Bosch VCI to run GM MDI. Seems there is a compatability issue of running two different operating systems on VCI for now. Remember, MDI software is GM's, not Bosch. Bosch just makes equipment for GM. Firmware update in next year involves partioning a section of harddrive in your laptop to allow MDI to work in one partition, and BOSCH VCI to work in other. You know Snapon already partitions drive in Verus. Cost of BOSCH VCI includes 2 years of whole updates, but does not includes MDI .GM MDI diagnostics is an extra fee over and above TIS2WEB all subscription. But , after MDI covers all models in any given model year, we shouldn't have to update Tech2 anymore, and we can stop that part of updates, and just stay with Global MDI subscription.

Comment

• USpMD
                          • Oct 2010

Bosch VCI looks good, But; I may be wrong , the latest info they have is for 2008 vehicles right? What about 2011, maybe I'm wrong , we need more than just PCM or TCM data to diag vehicles, what about all the other modules? The 2012 are out as we speak, how are we going to diag these with outdated systems? Most vehicles have 23 onboard computers, I've tried , but being a small business man i'm having a hard time keeping up with the Manuf. subcr. fees all the fed,state and local taxes to stay in business, when is the last time they compared themselves to say ,,, the others for coverage?
                          "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by USpMD
                            Bosch VCI looks good, But; I may be wrong , the latest info they have is for 2008 vehicles right? What about 2011, maybe I'm wrong , we need more than just PCM or TCM data to diag vehicles, what about all the other modules? The 2012 are out as we speak, how are we going to diag these with outdated systems? Most vehicles have 23 onboard computers, I've tried , but being a small business man i'm having a hard time keeping up with the Manuf. subcr. fees all the fed,state and local taxes to stay in business, when is the last time they compared themselves to say ,,, the others for coverage?
                            I think the original point was why buy both. The MDI is only for gm and the VCI has general coverage. At the present time they won't allow you to use one as the other. But they are working on that so you can use the VCI as the MDI with the gm software. The VCI also works as a passthrough device for Toyota programming and has been validated by Bosch.

There Coverage and user interface is another discussion. Not sure if SO will allow us to discuss that in the forums. Might be good though as some of have experience with both devices.

Comment

• USpMD
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
                              I think the original point was why buy both. The MDI is only for gm and the VCI has general coverage. At the present time they won't allow you to use one as the other. But they are working on that so you can use the VCI as the MDI with the gm software. The VCI also works as a passthrough device for Toyota programming and has been validated by Bosch.

There Coverage and user interface is another discussion. Not sure if SO will allow us to discuss that in the forums. Might be good though as some of have experience with both devices.
                              This was more a poke at snap-on, if there customers are looking for answers with another company, they should take notice, I bought the verus as my general tool, however it like all others has its limitations, I would like to beleave snap-on is trying to bridge the gap between aftermarket and factory scan tools, but I am also aware after serving the factory for 20 years that they have a lot to say about just what gets released, which is why I have doughts that GM MDI and Bosch will run each others software any time in the near future, my point is.. how good is the Bosch as compared to say 11.4 software, My passthru pro works flawlessly for Toyota, not just as for programing but also for techstream, the MDI is also a J2534 device, however I havent tried it on Toyota, I have access to just about all scanners out there except the Bosch VCI thru my position at a well equiped college, with out question the verus is the tool I reach for when I dont have the factory tool to diagnose vehicle concerns, but like others I am always looking for more coverage

Comment

Working...