X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orevin
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
    @gmworldclass

So if I buy the MDI from Bosch(blue one), I'll be able to program any module from a GM car? I've had problems with 01 and 02 Chevy Impalas and Malibus where I change the BCM and when I buy a subscription from GM I can only program the PCM. So my question is, does the MDI give me more functions like programming the Airbag Module and Unlocking the Radio after swapping used BCM's? Or is the Tech2 THE ONLY tool that can program these modules? I have a PTPII, so I'm upset that I can't program nothing else but the PCM, does the MDI have the same functions as the Tech2 when it comes to programming modules? Thanks for hearing me out and for your reply. Regards, Chavez.
    Don't be too disappointed if you find out, that you can't (re)program that BCM on a 01 Impala with the MDI or Tech 2 either.

@eddiesverus
    Thanks a lot!!! That answers a million questions I've always had. You are a life saver!!! I was thinking of buying a Tech2, but if the MDI does the same and according to you MORE, then I'll stick with the MDI. Just one more question, where can I buy the MDI? Does Bosch have it? I buy starters from them for european cars. So they should have the Blue GM MDI? Thanks again for all ur help and everyone else who has read my questions. Regards, Chavez.
    Bosch has it, I think AZ sells it. AESWave will be more than happy to send you one... many vendors to choose from.
    -Kai-
    Chicago, IL

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
      • Apr 2011

@Orevin
      Really? That sucks. When this happened, I took the car to the dealer and they reprogrammed the Airbag and unlocked the Radio. As far as security, you can do the key relearn and the car starts right after 1 cycle, antitheft light goes out and car turned on. So reprogramming the BCM is no big deal, it's programming the Airbag and unlocking the Radio that I have a problem with. Either way, I would like to buy the MDI since it's cheaper and has the same functions as the Tech2. I guess I'll decide later. Also, AESwave states that they sell the hardware only, so this means I have to buy the 1 year subscription? Thanks again Orevin and everyone. Regards, Chavez.
      Last edited by ToltecasChavez; 11-23-2011, 09:22 AM. Reason: unlocked BCM. Should've wrote "Unlocked Radio"

Comment

• Orevin
        • Aug 2010

@Orevin
        Really? That sucks. When this happened, I took the car to the dealer and they reprogrammed the Airbag and unlocked the Radio. As far as security, you can do the key relearn and the car starts right after 1 cycle, antitheft light goes out and car turned on. So reprogramming the BCM is no big deal, it's programming the Airbag and unlocking the Radio that I have a problem with. Either way, I would like to buy the MDI since it's cheaper and has the same functions as the Tech2. I guess I'll decide later. Also, AESwave states that they sell the hardware only, so this means I have to buy the 1 year subscription? Thanks again Orevin and everyone. Regards, Chavez.

On earlier GM, the BCM and other modules can't be programmed by means of SPS. You have to set them up, but that's a scan tool function and SPS is not needed. Read the service info for setting up these modules. My (and others) take on this: your SO scan tool should be able to do this...

Most vendors of the MDI sell the tool only, some offer a bundle with a 1-year subscription.
        -Kai-
        Chicago, IL

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
          • Apr 2011

@Orevin
          Ha ha ha!!! I know right, for that price is should at least do what the Tech2 does. I looked around and tried to see if the ToolBox 2 software had anything to set up the Airbag or unlock the radio, nothing of the sort unfortunately. Since this is a scan tool thing, I guess the Tech2 should be the tool to get since I get a lot of '00, '01, '02 and '03 cars. New cars don't show up over here that much in my neck of the hood, I mean woods. Just to clarify, I HAVE TO GET a 1 year subscription for the MDI or the Tech2? IF yes, then I have to add that to the total in case I want to purchase either one. Thank you again Orevin and the community. Regards, Chavez.

Comment

• Orevin
            • Aug 2010

@Orevin
            Ha ha ha!!! I know right, for that price is should at least do what the Tech2 does. I looked around and tried to see if the ToolBox 2 software had anything to set up the Airbag or unlock the radio, nothing of the sort unfortunately. Since this is a scan tool thing, I guess the Tech2 should be the tool to get since I get a lot of '00, '01, '02 and '03 cars.
            I would expect Tech2Win to be able to setup modules, maybe someone can confirm. I think GM is going to drop the Tech 2 and Tech2Win will be the scan tool to use.

New cars don't show up over here that much in my neck of the hood, I mean woods. Just to clarify, I HAVE TO GET a 1 year subscription for the MDI or the Tech2? IF yes, then I have to add that to the total in case I want to purchase either one. Thank you again Orevin and the community. Regards, Chavez.
            The yearly subscription includes Tech2Win. There is a short term subscription available, but without access to SPS.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome
            -Kai-
            Chicago, IL

Comment

• eddiesverus
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Orevin

On earlier GM, the BCM and other modules can't be programmed by means of SPS. You have to set them up, but that's a scan tool function and SPS is not needed. Read the service info for setting up these modules. My (and others) take on this: your SO scan tool should be able to do this...

Most vendors of the MDI sell the tool only, some offer a bundle with a 1-year subscription.
              Also keep in mind that many BCM can't be reprogrammed at all if they are used. Some BCMs store the VIN and Mileage and are locked out it so they can't be reprogrammed at all. Using the Tech2 only or WinTech2 can only configure or set options as well and program the SDM to the BCM.

If you want to buy a GM MDI try your local GM Chevy Dealer, They can get you one for a better price than aftermarket suppliers. Many Dealers don't know the price of the unit and will market it up 10 to 20% of the cost which is about $900. Bosch sells it about $1700 for one as well as AES Wave which is a distributor for Bosch and don't include a subscription to TIS2Web.
              Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                • Apr 2011

@eddiesverus
                That's what I was looking for. I don't mind not programming the BCM w/ the mileage, I just want to configure the Airbag and unlock the Radio. If the GM MDI or the WinTech2 can do those 2 things, then I rather go for the MDI. Thanks a lot for your input guys, I appreciate it very much. Regards, Chavez.

Comment

• eddiesverus
                  • Dec 2008

@eddiesverus
                  That's what I was looking for. I don't mind not programming the BCM w/ the mileage, I just want to configure the Airbag and unlock the Radio. If the GM MDI or the WinTech2 can do those 2 things, then I rather go for the MDI. Thanks a lot for your input guys, I appreciate it very much. Regards, Chavez.
                  Thanks Chavez,,
                  Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• USpMD
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Orevin
                    I would expect Tech2Win to be able to setup modules, maybe someone can confirm. I think GM is going to drop the Tech 2 and Tech2Win will be the scan tool to use.

The yearly subscription includes Tech2Win. There is a short term subscription available, but without access to SPS.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome
                    Yes the thec2win can set up modules like the tech 2, if you have the MDI and tech2win you can do everything GM currently has to offer, all programming thru 2012 and all module setup that requires tech 2, this will include GDS2 as well, I use this system every day with much success
                    "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by USpMD
                      Yes the thec2win can set up modules like the tech 2, if you have the MDI and tech2win you can do everything GM currently has to offer, all programming thru 2012 and all module setup that requires tech 2, this will include GDS2 as well, I use this system every day with much success
                      That is gold information as well USpMD!!!! Thank you so much. I'll def be buying the MDI since it does the samething as the Tech2 AND goes all the way to 2012. Thank you very much for this great info. If I have questions about the GM MDI, I'll def come to you guys. Regards, Chavez.

Comment

Working...