X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob's Garage
    • Nov 2007

GM programming tip

GM Tip.

Programming with the Tech 2, if you ever see the message, "Programming failed", make sure you do not turn off the key. If you turn the key off, you may lose the module. You must try again of course. In the meantime, you must keep the battery voltage up, so even if you do not have a programming charger, use your shop charger because if the battery dies, you will lose the module.

Even if you have to have a mobile tech come out or you borrow another tool you must keep the battery charge up and leave the key oneven if it means an all night 2 amp charge.

I am sure this tip applies to J2534 programming also.

Last week I tried to flash a 2004 CTS doing a "Tech 2 remote". It failed twice. I then got out my MDI and laptop and it took the flash. Not sure what that was all about, but I saved the module.
  • ToltecasChavez
    • Apr 2011

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind if it this ever happens to me when I do a GM. Regards, Chavez.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
      • Apr 2011

Hey bob, quick question, where did you purchase your Tech II? Was it online? Salesman? I'm trying to find dealer tools, but I haven't found a place online that sells them. No chinese knock off and such. I called the company and they gave me the # of the salesman for my area, called a few times and left messages but the salesman never got back to me. I was wondering if u or anyone knew where I could purchase the DBRIII, Tech II, Honda MVCI, Ford VDI, etc. Of course, with updates and codes, etc. A reputable website that someone might have purchased from. Thank you for your time.

Comment

• montgomery
        • Oct 2011

I have bought several tool from him..
        josh

Comment

• Orevin
          • Aug 2010

http://www.oemtools.com/

Give them a call, they have reps all over the country.

Another source would be: http://www.aetools.us/
          -Kai-
          Chicago, IL

Comment

• crackerclicker
            • May 2008

i'll add jamie lazarus to the list:

Comment

• Bob's Garage
              • Nov 2007

Tech 2 sources

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
              Hey bob, quick question, where did you purchase your Tech II? Was it online? Salesman? I'm trying to find dealer tools, but I haven't found a place online that sells them. No chinese knock off and such. I called the company and they gave me the # of the salesman for my area, called a few times and left messages but the salesman never got back to me. I was wondering if u or anyone knew where I could purchase the DBRIII, Tech II, Honda MVCI, Ford VDI, etc. Of course, with updates and codes, etc. A reputable website that someone might have purchased from. Thank you for your time.

I bought all my stuff new, IDS in 2007 from Ford Rotunda, and always renew in January, same with the Tech2. I bought the whole TIS to web package frpom my former Vetronix dealer and just renew every year through AC Delco TDS.

For IDS all you need is a good quality laptop with good RAM and at 1ghz processor with XP Pro or windows 7. about $2700 gets you a new VCM and a years subscription to updates and programming, the its about $600 a year for the subscription.

I haven't bought any used stuff because I need warranty to carry me. I had to return my Tech 2 several times, seems since Bosch took over Vetronix that there is a difference in quality.

I know a guy who has an older Tech2 made by Hewlitt Packard, and has never had any issues. Still uses it everyday. Anyhow new Tech2s are supplied through Bosch now. Good luck!

Thanks, Bob

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                • Apr 2011

Thank you guys for all these websites. I really needed some first hand experiences since I would like to purchase at least one OEM tool and test it against my VERUS and PTPII. I know it's a huge difference in certain areas, which is why I would like to buy 1 at least. Thank you Bob for the Tech 2 info, I'm considering buying this tool first since I get a lot of Chevy's. Specially Impalas, dam their BCM's and radio lock-ups. I will be looking over these websites today and however long it takes me until I get a good idea which one offers a better guarantee as Bob suggested. Thank you for time again guys. Regards, Chavez.

Comment

• Orevin
                  • Aug 2010

I would wait on that Tech 2 purchase. From what I hear, GM is going to release Tech2Win to the AM soon. If you get a MDI instead (~$1600), you'll have a virtual Tech 2 AND will be able to use GDS in the future. The MDI is already the preferred GM tool for most programming work.
                  -Kai-
                  Chicago, IL

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                    • Apr 2011

@Orevin.....I just read the article and it sounds promising. The article was written in april of this year, so I was wondering how long before this app comes out. Is it already out? I did a quick google and people say that the cable for it is very hard to find and expensive. Is this true? How good is this vs the Tech2 itself? I'm going to keep researching and if I find anything, I'll let you guys know as well. Thank you for your time. Regards, Chavez.

Comment

• Orevin
                      • Aug 2010

Tech2Win is already in use at dealer ships. They do the beta testing for us . From what I hear, it works quite well. I don't know when we will have access to it or at what price.

I did a quick google and people say that the cable for it is very hard to find and expensive. Is this true?

The "cable" is actually a box. The MDI is somewhat expensive, but cost less than a Tech 2. It is not hard to find, I think even AZ sells it now...
                      -Kai-
                      Chicago, IL

Comment

• gmworldclass
                        • Oct 2010

Tech2Win is working good had it for 3 mouths

Comment

• USpMD
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Orevin
                          I would wait on that Tech 2 purchase. From what I hear, GM is going to release Tech2Win to the AM soon. If you get a MDI instead (~$1600), you'll have a virtual Tech 2 AND will be able to use GDS in the future. The MDI is already the preferred GM tool for most programming work.
                          Yea! tech2win rocks, I dont even use my tech 2 any more unless its a Isuzu or other asian supported make, MDI is the only way I will flash GM stuff any more, Next to my IDS its the second best tool I own....
                          "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• Nevin_Mc
                            • Sep 2011

I do know you dont want to use a battery charger because of the ripple. You can get corrupted files. You are going to want to use a jump box.

Comment

• twincity
                              • Feb 2008

Gentlemen,

Will the Tech2Win do everything the Tech2 does; from 1996 and up? Where do you get the Tech2Win software and what is the cost?

Thank you ,

Robert

Comment

Working...