Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trindaddy
    • Jan 2010

Modis Ultra

By request, a quick description of the new Modis. I've never used a solus Ultra, but my tool guy says the layout is the same, The Modis however is a little bigger. Its touted as the fastest processor and so far and I agree, its fast. Now I've never used a verus, verdict, solus ultra, vantage etc. I'm going from the old modis to this one and many things strike me as cool. I love how you can jump all over the menu's and come back to where you were super fast. Its very bright, light, and intuitively laid out. Touchscreen is nice. Its basically same features as the original Modis: component tests, scope, meter etc but the scope is only two channels. The heavy scope users may find this troublesome. Truth be told, I've only used all 4 channels at the same time 2-3 times in 7 years so that doesn't bother me too much. I'm told by someone much better versed than I that it doesn't have the zoom function now, nor or a way to put annotations on captures. This is a bummer. I guess I was also disappointed by the lack of printing support too. No IR printing (so my IR printers and chargers are useless!), no bluetooth, wi-fi...I would like to at least have seen an accessory Snap-On printer offered.
    I suppose a lot of what is negative can be traced back to the partnership with Shopstream. Manipulation of files (zoom and naming etc) and printing can be done once "connected to PC". It just takes more time and relies on 2 things to work right together. Already I'm having a problem with a saved VW screen shot that doesn't show up on shopstream! Support has made it clear that this is still a "beta stage" (now they tell me). It powers up instantly when plugged into DLC and can actually charge the batt from the car! No keys but still a wired connection to DLC. Older car dlc connectors and stuff still work here and are not included. I also ordered a soft case (not included).
    It's funny, there was NO heads up on this before the diag sales rep showed up and gave me a look almost 2 weeks ago. I am told its "rolling out" from the northeast from my tool guy. Don't know how he knows that. Something tells me he had no idea either and that this is an early release to the diag sales team guys. In fact I know someone from northern central states who had it a month ago! Strange PR campaign. I really haven't had a lot of time to use it yet. The touchscreen icons are gonna take gettin used to. No case, no printer, and the usual early bugs, but I really like it so far. Oh, only 4 pid graphs (another negative). I suppose its been trimmed down a bit but perhaps thats why its so fast. If I get a minute I'll try to get a photo for you guys. HTH

Neil
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

Good to hear it's fast, and I'm sure the bugs will be worked out quick. But, hearing that it's only 4 Pid Graphs, that's strike 1 for me. I always use 8 graphs while doing a Ford Cylinder Contribution Test or GM Misfire Counter. 2 Channel scope, that's strike 2, I've actually used 3 channels quite often when doing CMP/CKP/Coil On Time with Chryslers, etc. Well, can't wait to get my hands on one. I'm in the Southeast Zone, so it might be awhile till I see one. Just my opinion, per your info here, hoping Pricing is $5500 or less, seeing that this tool is not wireless, and only equipped with a 2channel scope.
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Trindaddy
      • Jan 2010

Here's a few pics for ya:
      In the second photo is my most powerful tool, the crystal ball! Ahhhh.Ooooooo
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Trindaddy; 09-20-2013, 07:26 PM. Reason: crystal ball revealed

Comment

• Skip
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2008

You're right about big time scope users. The happiest customers will be ones moving up from a Solus. If you keep your Modis, you have the best of both. I can't imagine they will give much $ for a Modis on trade in.

Comment

• K2356
          • Aug 2007

"Ultra" huh?

Why would you want to trade your original modis in for a modis ultra when your original modis has a "4" channels labscope. It also has the 5 gas software in it at no extra charge. These are the best features of the "Modis"

This doesn't sounds like an "Ultra" to me. I guess I am part of the small percentage of techs that actually wants a tool that helps fix/diagnose a vehicle. As I shake my head.
          Kevin Suttorp[/SIZE]

Comment

• Modis500
            • Sep 2012

You are exactly right. Losing 2 channels, along with only viewing 4 PID graphs at a time is a big loss. As far as the keyless and fast refresh rate goes, I personally don't know if this would be a great replacement for my current Modis. Talked to my rep this week, and he's saying look for a $6K price tag. A bit much, but we'll let them get some used ones in, or try out a demo and see how it work. Who knows, many had great things to say about the Verdict when it was new, then complained when the bugs slowed it down.
            Zig Ziglar

Comment

• meatwad
              • Mar 2011

The name is a little misleading...... you would at least expect the same basic features as a modis. With that out of the the way though- this is exactly what I'm looking for. Appears to be a little bigger than my Solus ultra and will be easier to see than my vantage pro. The fact that its not wireless is ok by me. Most of the issues I had with my Verus all wrapped around communication issues. With a $6k price tag I think I'm going to give it a shot (if there is ever one on the truck).

Comment

• 69-Charger
                • Feb 2008

sounds like its just a solus ultra with the vantage pro added to it. I have the solus pro now so it might be worth it for me to upgrade to the modis ultra.

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by 69-Charger
                  sounds like its just a solus ultra with the vantage pro added to it. I have the solus pro now so it might be worth it for me to upgrade to the modis ultra.
                  Whatever you do, don't let go of your Solus-PRO. Keep it on hand. Any "trade-in" value either won't be much or buried in the price of the new tool.
                  I'm going to jinx it now, but mine has been RELIABLE as heck. It scans and has some bi-directional. It's not encumbered by other add-ons in the same package.
                  Are there advantages to the other all-in-one tools? Yes, but a basic RELIABLE tool is of primary consideration.

Comment

• tripler54
                    • Jan 2013

I think its just what I was looking for I seldom use the modis caus the battery is always and its too slow and cumbersome im always grabbing the solus ultra or fluke. this thing is soo fast for a scanner I cant get used to it and the new diesel features of 13.4 help a lot. the only bummer is scope and meter are 50v max

Comment

• Modis500
                      • Sep 2012

13.4 on Modis Ultra...

So what type of improvements/ updates are we seeing on the 13.4 update? Functional testing? Ford testing improvements on late model vehicles?
                      Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Skip
                        Super Moderator
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by tripler54
                        I think its just what I was looking for I seldom use the modis caus the battery is always and its too slow and cumbersome im always grabbing the solus ultra or fluke. this thing is soo fast for a scanner I cant get used to it and the new diesel features of 13.4 help a lot. the only bummer is scope and meter are 50v max
                        Mine goes to 400 volts on the lab scope, graphing meter, and DVOM.

Comment

• Trindaddy
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Modis500
                          So what type of improvements/ updates are we seeing on the 13.4 update? Functional testing? Ford testing improvements on late model vehicles?
                          Haven't been in too many places with it to find out. I don't have the usual "improvements" list yet and nothing came with the ultra to indicate any new features for 13.4. I do know it has Fiat now.

Neil

Comment

• tomtec
                            • Jun 2013

modis 13.4

Skip do you know when 13.4 will be out? Thanks Tom

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                              Snap-on DSD
                              • Aug 2007

13.4 is available now.
                              "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                              Henry Ford

Comment

Working...