Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthias102
    • Jan 2015

mt2500 mode 06

I recently acquired an MTG2500 brick and am trying to access mode $06 data but can not seem to get there.

I'm working on a '99 F250 5.4L and am located in the US.

I have the Gm-Ford-Chrysler primary cartridge thru 2001 along with the K-2A key. But I have not found any way to access mode 06 data with this cartridge. In searching for days all I have found is a reference to some "Global OBD" generic cartridge, but that reference was specific to a UK post.

I've searched and searched but can not find any part number or even confirmation that this "Global" cartridge exists for US domestic much less verify that it will allow me to access mode $06 data.

Can someone tell me how to access mode $06. Is there indeed a "Global" cartridge that is needed for this ? And if so, does anyone have this cartridge for a reasonable price ?

Obviously the MTG2500 is obsolete so I don't want to spend much $$ if any for additional cartridges.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Mode 6 Data

I'm surprised to find that to access Mode 6 data on DS 708 I have to exit out of Ford menu and select OBD2 to find it, so I wouldn't be surprised if you need the Global OBD2 cartridge

Comment

• chaskuss
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by matthias102
      I recently acquired an MTG2500 brick and am trying to access mode $06 data but can not seem to get there.

I'm working on a '99 F250 5.4L and am located in the US.

I have the Gm-Ford-Chrysler primary cartridge thru 2001 along with the K-2A key. But I have not found any way to access mode 06 data with this cartridge. In searching for days all I have found is a reference to some "Global OBD" generic cartridge, but that reference was specific to a UK post.

I've searched and searched but can not find any part number or even confirmation that this "Global" cartridge exists for US domestic much less verify that it will allow me to access mode $06 data.

Can someone tell me how to access mode $06. Is there indeed a "Global" cartridge that is needed for this ? And if so, does anyone have this cartridge for a reasonable price ?

Obviously the MTG2500 is obsolete so I don't want to spend much $$ if any for additional cartridges.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
      I have two MT2500s. I also have the 1996 to 2001Primary cartridge. You don't need the "Global" cartridge. Simply exit out of DATA or CODES and into FUNCTIONAL TESTS to find Modes 1 thru 9. Select Mode 6. You then must select either test 51 or 53 [the number depends on the year and model] This will allow you to view the misfires when [as is nearly always the case] you do not have a code set to show you which cylinder is misfiring. I am going to send you a private message, so that I can email you a few good tech articles on using Mode 6. FYI, you must scroll through the cylinders, to see misfire data on them all.

Charlie

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Re-ID the truck as Global OBDII instead of Ford. mode 6 will be listed there.

Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

A video is worth a thousand words

heres a video on you tube with a solus used on a 02 lincoln (ford)

Comment

• matthias102
            • Jan 2015

Charlie,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately your suggestion does not work for me. When I go into Functional Tests there are only 2 options: Output Tests (which have only Low Fan and High Fan) or Module ID. There is no option to get into mode $06.

Maybe my brick or cartridges are not updated ?? I don't know. The brick software version is 6.0.

Comment

• matthias102
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
              Re-ID the truck as Global OBDII instead of Ford. mode 6 will be listed there.

Joe
              Joe,
              With the Primary GM-Chrysler-Ford cartridge, there is a Generic OBDII option (vs. selecting Ford). But that menu offers only Codes and Data or Custom Setup. Under Codes and Data the options are: Codes Only, Data (No Codes), O2 Monitors, Freeze Frame and Pending Codes. None of which provide access to mode $06.

My brick says it has V6.0 software. Not sure if there is a version associated with the primary card.

Comment

• matthias102
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by chaskuss
                I have two MT2500s. I also have the 1996 to 2001Primary cartridge. You don't need the "Global" cartridge. Simply exit out of DATA or CODES and into FUNCTIONAL TESTS to find Modes 1 thru 9. Select Mode 6. You then must select either test 51 or 53 [the number depends on the year and model] This will allow you to view the misfires when [as is nearly always the case] you do not have a code set to show you which cylinder is misfiring. I am going to send you a private message, so that I can email you a few good tech articles on using Mode 6. FYI, you must scroll through the cylinders, to see misfire data on them all.

Charlie
                Perhaps there is some "sequence" of entering into DATA or CODES and then exiting ? I just now tried going directly into FUNCTIONAL TESTS without going through DATA or CODES. That's what my previous response was based on.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                  Snap-on DSD
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by matthias102
                  Joe,
                  With the Primary GM-Chrysler-Ford cartridge, there is a Generic OBDII option (vs. selecting Ford). But that menu offers only Codes and Data or Custom Setup. Under Codes and Data the options are: Codes Only, Data (No Codes), O2 Monitors, Freeze Frame and Pending Codes. None of which provide access to mode $06.

My brick says it has V6.0 software. Not sure if there is a version associated with the primary card.
                  My memory isn't perfect, but unless I'm mistaken if your MT2500 reads Generic OBDII then it doesn't do Global OBDII. You're going to need a newer cartridge.

Joe
                  "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                  Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

My memory isn't perfect, but unless I'm mistaken if your MT2500 reads Generic OBDII then it doesn't do Global OBDII. You're going to need a newer cartridge.

On link below Referring to page 7 of the article there is mention that the MT2500 needs a newer cartridge than 2001.

Comment

• matthias102
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Witsend
                      heres a video on you tube with a solus used on a 02 lincoln (ford)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W17lsww6toE
                      Sent you a private message. Please take a look.

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

A DS 708 presently still has more Bi Directional Capabilities than Solus and some immobilizer key programming ability but the DS 708 Graphing in my opinion pales compared to a newer Solus Ultra and Edge graphing.(But I have an oscilloscope to go to if I really have to see something at the component level.

The Solus Line offers Guided diagnostics through it's handy time saving trouble shooter so it saves you walking to a PC or pulling a service manual for connector pinout chart and you get a Subscription to Sure Trak information everytime you update a Snap On Scanner.
                        A DS 708 offers little in the form of guided diagnostics, and even IDing some older European cars from the menu if you aren't a Walking Farfignuegen Encyclopedia , it'is a Ein-ny Mein-ny Hitler's Toe kinda proposition to pick some of the older models that may not auto ID themselves like the newer models.
                        I don't like the idea of having to pay extra just to have the privelege to work on a Euro Turd when I'ld rather not,and think they should actually give you a discount just for saying yes to doing European cars in your shop, and the customers are more of a PITA then their cars, but they run rampant all across the USA . The DS 708 is The Bomb for EuroTurds if you don't want to pay extra for the privelege to have to deal with one, and you don't have much of a choice but to deal with them Triple Square Nightmares, now a days. LOL. In all Fairness, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the addition cost with Snap On for the optional European coverage versus just having the Domestic and Asian is a one time charge of $500 to unlock the European , not an additional $500 additional each time on top of the $999 updated Quaker List?
                        If you work at a production shop and you don't want to be running to the PC each time to see the component connector pins to test or even locate a certain diagnostic connector, having trouble shooter is a time saver. If you bought a Solus you still would have OBD1 so you could then sell your MT2500. If you got a DS 708 instead you would have to keep your MT 2500 for the older OBD1 cars and you would not have guided diagnostics. Pure Capability wise you got way more bang for buck with DS708, but don't shoot yourself in the foot if you need the troubleshooter for guided diagnostics that might save you 5 minutes if you don't need to access a PC every time.
                        If you are a bottom feeder looking for the most capabilities wise bang for the buck a DS 708 can't be beat followed by the newer, bigger, better, faster more capable, improved graphing (but double the price) MS 908 Pro, that with the optional scope might outshine anything offered anywhere if you can live with out Snap On guided diagnostics
                        Last edited by Witsend; 01-23-2015, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• chaskuss
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Witsend
                          On link below Referring to page 7 of the article there is mention that the MT2500 needs a newer cartridge than 2001.

http://resources.aeswave.com/old/Art...00611mode6.pdf
                          I had a 2000 Ranger in my shop today. It appears that Witsend is correct. Using my 1996 to 2001 cartridge, there is no way to access Mode $06. Using my black VCI programmable cartridge [software bundle 7.2 This differs from the 7.1 red cartridge. It covers US models up to 2006 and Asian up to 2005] It can be found in the section called GENERIC FUNCTIONS. That is in the model specific area. My apologies for the bum steer earlier.
                          The customer was waiting, so I did not have time to ID the truck as Generic OBD II to see if I could access it that way.
                          Charlie

Comment

Working...