Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dtnel
    • Feb 2017

Modis Edge Questions

Have a modis edge I purchased and have the monthly update subscription. Snap On is my first experience with subscriptions and the more expensive scan tools. With my subscription comes sure track within the tool. I don't have shop key / pro / demand or any of those thee subscriptions but I notice for example if I were to have a scan tool such as the zeus with the monthly subscription I'd be able to get the TSBs which are important with changes that occur. I don't work in a corporate or shop environment. Being that I have the subscription how do I get these TSBs that are out there? When I bough my snap on scan tool I was going to go with the snap on extended contract for payment but they came back and said "whoa he don't work for a shop so he can't do that" I'd been doing it for a year , 7 months under a extended contract program directly from snap on where I'd pay them directly, no issues whatsoever until I traded my solus edge and went to the modis and applied to the EC for the financing.

After they approved then within a few hours later said they couldn't to the franchisee I went ahead and paid all but $1k of the remaining balance to him along with other stuff I had then I paid him off at $500 per mo with my subscription included thru him.

Just seems weird that if someone spends over $15 k in a years time and can make the payments with a 775 credit score that they say "oh you don't work in a shop so we can't finance it for you"

I had many years of heavy truck shop environment, drove for 13 1/2 yrs over the road till a bad neurosurgeon messed the back up and almost killed me due to infection (bacterial meningitis). I've always been a self taught learner. I have about $4k worth of Automotive training books in various subjects up to and including oscilloscope function, testing, evap, smoke testing equipment, pulse sensors and other diagnostic testing equipment, tolls to do the job but yet they blow me off. The franchisee even says I don't see what they don't get especially when it's all paid for. It's not about the EC now but more so just trying to find the access that I pay for monthly. It's somewhat of a grey area with me that I felt I'd deal with once I took care of all the tools, scan tools, Picoscope, etc.

Any help getting in the right direction would be great as this data would greatly help me go even further than I've been and take me further than I'll ever dream. Never been afraid of a dream or job that needs done. There's good and bad and figuring them out is what I like to do.

Thanks in advance for any information that anyone may be able to help me attain that I'm paying for monthly. yes I also do lt semi annual updates and over the net software updates. I am currently running version 17.4 soon to be 18.2 unless I move to the Zeus which had I knew it was coming down the pipeline I would've went after.
  • Tech10
    • Mar 2008

What are you worried about, use your own financing. I'm sure you should be able to get a CC with 0% financing for 12-18 months that would save you $$ anyways. You have the power use it!

Comment

• Dtnel
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Tech10
      What are you worried about, use your own financing. I'm sure you should be able to get a CC with 0% financing for 12-18 months that would save you $$ anyways. You have the power use it!
      ++1 will def look at other options.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
        • Apr 2016

Modis is un supportred no more updates. Why are you paying subscription for tsbs?Better off looking at mitchel or alldata hobby subscription or get a iatn membership for like 30.00 a month

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

IMO, for older cars TSBs are of limited value. Google, You tube ,car forums, and IATN generally seem to offer more help.

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by bestdamgarage
            Modis is un supportred no more updates. Why are you paying subscription for tsbs?Better off looking at mitchel or alldata hobby subscription or get a iatn membership for like 30.00 a month
            The original Modis is unsupported.....
            the Modis-Ultra and the Modis-EDGE are still supported....
            He has the Modis-EDGE...

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
              IMO, for older cars TSBs are of limited value. Google, You tube ,car forums, and IATN generally seem to offer more help.
              I can't count the number of times a TSB addressed a problem, yet the dealer techs never bothered even looking for one in the first 6 years the vehicle was on the road.
              Saw that 35 years ago and still see it today.
              IF, and it's a big IF, the dealer techs addressed a problem, when engineering already identified the problem and the fix, then TSB's for older vehicles become less useful. They're still useful to some extent.
              Once a vehicle is past 4 or 5 years, there aren't many new TSB's coming out though.

Comment

• sbreland73
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Crusty
                I can't count the number of times a TSB addressed a problem, yet the dealer techs never bothered even looking for one in the first 6 years the vehicle was on the road.
                Saw that 35 years ago and still see it today.
                IF, and it's a big IF, the dealer techs addressed a problem, when engineering already identified the problem and the fix, then TSB's for older vehicles become less useful. They're still useful to some extent.
                Once a vehicle is past 4 or 5 years, there aren't many new TSB's coming out though.
                I like to refer to them as Time Saver Bulletins. Use them daily.I go to Youtube as a LAST resort, after searching all other reliable info sources.
                S. Breland

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by sbreland73
                  I like to refer to them as Time Saver Bulletins. Use them daily.I go to Youtube as a LAST resort, after searching all other reliable info sources.
                  That's a fun acronym!

One of my mentors would always tell me, when I ask for help on a car, his first question will be "Did you check all the bulletins?" - because >90% of the time (then), the answer would be in a TSB (BMW called them SIB).

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

That's a fun acronym!

One of my mentors would always tell me, when I ask for help on a car, his first question will be "Did you check all the bulletins?" - because >90% of the time (then), the answer would be in a TSB (BMW called them SIB).
                    Hmmm SIBs for SOBs BMW Meccatronics (push button remote for 72 Virgins)

Last edited by Witsend; 02-13-2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Dtnel
                      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by bestdamgarage
                      I have the Modis Edge. The newer one with oscilloscope and scan tool combined. Next step up from the Solus Edge.

I pay for the annual update. The higher end tools allow you to go right to the forums and suretrack more in depth right from the device.

With my subscription when you go to the online portal (phone, laptop and pc) you can't login but in the registration area it says that the service is for certain users with the modis edge being mentioned. Plus it would be nice to access suretrack beyond just the scan tool such as the pc style interface.

Regarding the TSB I did find a TSB earlier last year about a year to late mileage wise for a 04 Hyundai Santa Fe that regarding the fuel tanks on Hyundai Santa Fe's being extended warranty wise up to 15 yrs or 150k miles. Had I known in 2016 when my mileage was under the proper amount I could've got the tank replaced for free from Hyundai. That was a shocker TSB wise.

I get the part about TSBs normally being for stealerships regarding newer vehicles..

Snap On has some good features built into the suretrack I like. That's not my only go to as I have a bluedriver, yes I joined that cult but it gets a lot. Some SRS for some of my vehicles isn't available on that but the modis edge has that. I also take my innova 3160 d which is handy. FOR heat related issues the snap on thermal diagnostic tool is a great tool to have or have for confirming issues. Luckily the dealer came way down on that otherwise he would've been keeping it. Only paid around $900 for that which I thought was great given the msrp.

Comment

Working...