Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mduss3
    • May 2011

dependability (verdict D7)

I would like to have a dependable piece of equipment, not one that requires me to have a second scanner to see if the vehicle actually has a problem or if it is the scanner (verdict d7) that has a communication problem, I have had at least 4 different vehicles that have had communications issues with the verdict but no problem with the cheap store type scanner.
    So I guess the question is, is this going to be resolved with firmware updates, online updates through shop stream or what?

Question 2 would be, what is the return policy on something like this?
    Not very satisfied.http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...lies/frown.gif
  • mduss3
    • May 2011

Just an update no word from snap-on, who claim to monitor this forum.
    I ran a test with the verdict, I have 4 different vehicles in the yard a 2001 chevy silverado 4.8 liter, no communication with verdict scanner, communication o.k. with cheap scanner and modis, 2006 chevy 4.2 liter trailblazer no communication with verdict scanner, communication o.k. with cheap scanner and modis, 1998 mazda b4000 4.0 liter no communication with verdict scanner, communication o.k. with cheap scanner (snap-on retailer did not give me keys can't test that one), finally 1998 hyundai elantra 1.8 liter whoa!!! what do you know there was actually communication with that one.

Now that is reliability and dependability 1 out of 4 vehicles, I should be able to repair vehicles quickly with this unit, after spending a lot of time on the phone with the tech dept. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

I appreciate my time and money being wasted thanks.

Comment

• jrorl63
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

If your Snap-on franchisee can't help resolve your issue, I would suggest asking him to have his DSD contact you. Your issues can be resolved and you should'nt have to use another "cheap" scanner.

I am helping customers in my assigned area everyday with their VERUS' and VERDICTs. The most common problems I see are:
      1) Atlas software hasn't been updated to the most current service release (10.4.4 or 11.2.1). These are free fixes that are delivered over the internet directly to the tool.
      2) User's aren't following proper vehicle ID, or scanning processes (i.e not paying attention to the VIN # that populates in the VIN table, or not backing all the way out {back button turns grey, then selecting change vehicle} when ending scanner communications)
      3) User's not ensuring that the S3 Scan Module is first connected to the vehicle and has power (green LED) prior to selecting the "Scanner" icon on the display. No Green LED = problem with the vehicle power supply at DLC.
      4) Turning the tool/computer off with the power button instead of proper windows shut down procedures
      5) S3 Scan module needing to be re "paired" to the display
      6) S3 Scan module needs a firmware update
      7) S3 Scan module and/or DA4 or DA5 cable may be defective in that it will communicate with some vehicles and not others. A replacement S3 Scan module or data cable would resolve this issue.
      The FAQ section contains other helpful tips as well. http://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/FAQ
      HTH, good luck and keep your tool expectations up there!

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

So out of those seven most common problems, it appears as though #7 (Defective cable or S3 module) is NOT user error, unlike #1 - #6. I had posted a while back how these new devices DO require a bit above average computer skills. Keep up, or get left behind huh?
        S. Breland

Comment

• mduss3
          • May 2011

Thanks for the reply, someone is coming out next Thursday to check out the unit, guaranteed it is not user error, I did not just start using snapon scanners yesturday, and I can and do have a good set of computer skills.
          I even went on the snapon training site when I first got the verdict so I could familiarize myself with the new operating system, I know about the little green power light and I assure you there was no problems with the data link, 2 other scanners prove that, I know how to back out of the system , how to connect and disconnect from a vehicle, I went out of my way to know this machine, we will see what happens on Thursday next week, I will post the results then.
          Thanks.

Comment

• sbreland73
            • Jan 2009

Hey mduss3

My post was not directed at you, sorry if you saw it that way, I was just pointing out that it is likely that a lot of the complaints these tool users have is from lack of PC skills. By PC skills I mean debug, troubleshooting, hardware checking, corrective action, etc. Not to be confused with every day usage.

I partialy base this statement on reading the Solus, Verus, and Verdict threads.
            S. Breland

Comment

• mduss3
              • May 2011

No problem, sbreland73
              I am all about keeping my computers maintained and working properly, I always look to take care of any vomited issues I might have myself.
              Dealing with computer techs on the other end of the phone is not my cup of tea, that is why I will learn everything I can about my equipment and how it or the operating system works, anyway no offense taken and thanks for your reply.
              sbreland73
              I did notice that you specialize in drivability issues, I have an issue that I just can't seem to resolve with a hyundai, can I p.m. You for a littlehelp with this?

Comment

• mduss3
                • May 2011

O.K. Snap on guy came out yesterday checked out system and found no operator error just a problem with the s3 module, the fix was a replacement, all seems well for now anyway.

Comment

• jrorl63
                  Snap-on DSD
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by mduss3
                  O.K. Snap on guy came out yesterday checked out system and found no operator error just a problem with the s3 module, the fix was a replacement, all seems well for now anyway.
                  Great to hear that you were taken care of. As I mentioned previously, there can be alot of different issues to verify when it comes to the newer windows os based tools. Although data cable and S3 scanner module failures have been rare in my area, it is still is something that needs to be checked, just like data cables, keys and adapters used with Solus' & Modis'. This past week a new Verdict customer contacted me because he had a "no communication" issue with a 99 VW Passat. I directed him to Appendix B in the VW/Audi VCS manual and further inspection revealed that the vehicle had the "K-line issue". Fortunately, the customer identified the problem before damaging the S3 scanner module.

Comment

• Nick_Rock55
                    • Jan 2016

Hey jrorl63
                    How much is a s3 Communication module??? I believe mine is water damage. Everything works, just won't Communicate

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Hey jrorl63
                      How much is a s3 Communication module??? I believe mine is water damage. Everything works, just won't Communicate
                      That post is over 4 years old, you might want to call tech support. For the interim, can it also be connected via USB cable like a Maxi Flush Pro?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                        Snap-on DSD
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Nick_Rock55
                        Hey jrorl63
                        Talk to Tech Support about repair costs. I bet it is cheaper than replacing. I think your Dealer is going to have to quote the communication module for you.

Joe
                        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                        Henry Ford

Comment

• Addam
                          • Nov 2016

need help

I have Verdict D7 and I lost S3 wireless module I want o buy new one should update it or I can use it directly,Thanks

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

That S@cks, Does Verdict have option to run a cabled USB connection to be able to use it for interim until you can find a resolution to the wireless issue?

Comment

• Addam
                              • Nov 2016

need help

I have verdict D7 and I lost the S3 wireless module I want to buy new one sould update it or can use it directly . my scanner has 61.4
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...