2007+ GM Idle Learn & Ford PATS Relearn??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DougMontgomery
    • Jul 2007

Eddie,

Lets not turn this thread all political and grass-roots. I'm pretty sure if we all look at our equipment (scantools), you'll find most are not made here. The SW MIGHT be written here...but the hardware was built out of country. I'm talking Ford IDS, Honda GNA-600, OTC (Pegisyss, Genesis, etc..), Snap-On..., Vetronix, etc..

Was showing my attendees a car show before class. New Dodge Challenger. Engines made in Mexico, body's in Canada.

The intent of the thread was to point out a function that Snap-On currently does not support. Then it was asked to list what tools we, the board members, know will work.

Thanks,

Comment

• randalpho
      • Oct 2010

Scan tool manufacturers have to buy the security algorithm from Ford to get into the secured area of erasing & programming keys, parameter reset, spare key, etc....

It's not that expensive, information can be found at ETI (www.etools.org) which Snap On is a member of. I don't know if Snap On does not want to deal with the legality of vehicle theft with their tools or some other reason(s).........

FYI, besides NGS being capable, so is the NGS MachII and NGS PC.

I believe any version of a web flash cable approved by Ford with www.motorcraftservice.com can access the secured area.

Comment

• jrorl63
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

I'm only speculating here but, with the automotive manufacturers moving towards the SDRM registry, thus requiring technicians to obtain a LSID. Why should Snap-on develop Key reprogramming & access to security related systems in their scan tools? See NASTF info http://www.nastf.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3539#2 and Ford info http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...&menuIndex1=25 . Of course with an approved J2534 device and proper credentials a tech can complete key reprogramming, not only on Fords. Seems to me that if Snap-on developed this capability for their scan tools it would definitely have it limits, just like it is now if one owns an IDS. From the Motorcraft service web site -"This product is only available to automotive security professionals that are registered with the National Automotive Service Task Force (NASTF) Automotive Security Professionals Registry. You MUST provide a valid registry Username and Password at the time of the actual keycode request after purchasing the subscription"

Comment

• eddiesverus
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by DougMontgomery
          Eddie,

Lets not turn this thread all political and grass-roots. I'm pretty sure if we all look at our equipment (scantools), you'll find most are not made here. The SW MIGHT be written here...but the hardware was built out of country. I'm talking Ford IDS, Honda GNA-600, OTC (Pegisyss, Genesis, etc..), Snap-On..., Vetronix, etc..

Was showing my attendees a car show before class. New Dodge Challenger. Engines made in Mexico, body's in Canada.

The intent of the thread was to point out a function that Snap-On currently does not support. Then it was asked to list what tools we, the board members, know will work.

Thanks,
          No Problem Doug, I just wanted to point out what Those Chinese Scan tools have done. Yes I know everything is now made overseas and I understand this is not a political forum. But you get my point. Thanks..
          Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• randalpho
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by jrorl63
            From the Motorcraft service web site -"This product is only available to automotive security professionals that are registered with the National Automotive Service Task Force (NASTF) Automotive Security Professionals Registry. You MUST provide a valid registry Username and Password at the time of the actual keycode request after purchasing the subscription"
            I think this only applies to obtaining the actual cut of the key for that vehicle by VIN, not the programming of it.

Comment

• DougMontgomery
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by eddiesverus
              No Problem Doug, I just wanted to point out what Those Chinese Scan tools have done. Yes I know everything is now made overseas and I understand this is not a political forum. But you get my point. Thanks..
              Yup...I understand what almost ALL manufactures have done and some of why...I get your point

Comment

Working...