Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedybon
    • Jan 2012

Is the Solus Ultra Better then the Pro?

I am thinking upgrading to a Ultra, What do you guys think.
  • Skip
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2008

I like the Ultra better than the Pro because of the speed and larger screen. Also no keys is a major plus. Will your dealer allow a test drive with it?

ps.
    nice dog

Comment

• Chevytruckman1234
      • Mar 2008

Quicker, touch screen, no keys, and bigger screen very quick less than 45 secs and I am diagnosing problems. Great investment

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Speedybon
        I am thinking upgrading to a Ultra, What do you guys think.
        While it may be quicker to get to the main menu (boot time), it's actually SLOWER to do anything else.
        In previous vehicle you have to re-enter half the info again.....
        Saving movies and screen shots to review is ABYSMAL as you can't select jpg for a screen save and they use BITMAP......
        Save 5 screen shots on the Pro.....5 seconds
        Save 5 screen shots on the ULTRA.....you'l be over half a minute-!!
        If you want to save your data to a computer, it's S.L.O.W to connect to a PC and you have to physically cable it to the computer. There is no provision to save any of your files to a CF-card or USB-stick.
        Touch screen sometimes requires you to hit the desired selection several times before it recognizes the input.
        No personality keys is nice but the machine itself needs some serious modifications, and it STILL has MISSING PIDS for some vehicles.
        The file structure for getting to your saved files is very, very cumbersome, so you have to make note of the exact time you went into a particular data group or vehicle. Then at least you can take the time to connect to your PC and group your files into folders that you can find later. If you happen to plug into 3 vehicles in one hour, the files follow a sequence that jumps from 6, 7, 8 to A, B, C, and then back into numerical again.

Is it a good tool?? Possibly
        Does it need revisions?? Definately
        Is it better than the Solus-Pro?? Not in my opinion.
        True functionality takes precedence over convenience which is about all the Ultra has over the S-Pro right now.

The Ultra has potential but I would wait right now.
        ( now SO are REALLY gonna be mad at me-!!! )

Comment

• ephratah service center
          • Oct 2007

I bought a new Ultra thinking it would be an upgrade but I question the purchase at times I use my scanner to record a lot of info.
          The Ultra may be a better tool when they get all the the issues worked out of it. Right now it is ok if you use it as a code reader and dont save a lot of movies it is slow when it comes to save files.It also takes you longer to shut it down if you want to switch vehicles as the button for home does not work so you have to push the N (X) button multiple times to back out of a vehicle before you can shut it down. The only advantage that i see is not having keys to deal with. I kept my old Solus and I find I use it as much if not more than the Ultra due to the slow speed of save features and having to take forever to shut down I am dont want to miss valuable data that is going on while I am waiting the 90 seconds for it to save a file. It could mean that you miss the glitch in the P.I.D. that you have driven the vehicle to catch.
          I dont feel it is an upgrade at this point it is alot of $ to spend for a tool that is actually slower.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
            • Nov 2007

Data movies save quickly now.

Guys,

I know for a fact the file saving time issue has been fixed. It takes seconds now.

I took a 10 minute movie the other day and it saved in seconds. there are other improvements also.

The tool is good now and evolving quickly.

Bob

Comment

• Steve6911
              • Feb 2007

Yup, file saving is now very quick, did a 20 minute road test on a Ford in bypass cold soak, file saved in under 10 seconds.Connect to PC takes between 20-30 seconds. Touch screen issue also appears to be fixed, I like the thumb pad myself but worked all morning on two vehicles and just used the touch screen, not one problem. And no keys is great.

Steve

Comment

• Speedybon
                • Jan 2012

Thank you for the information

Is it worth 2800.00 + to replace my Solus Pro.

Comment

• Skip
                  Super Moderator
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Speedybon
                  Is it worth 2800.00 + to replace my Solus Pro.
                  Only you can answer if it is worth it or not. You may be able sell you Pro for that much. A friend of mine paid $3900.00 for one with Euro.

Comment

• ephratah service center
                    • Oct 2007

Is it going to cost $500.00 to fix the file save issue Via an update to 12.2 or is it a free update? How do you get the update if it does not cost?

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                      • Nov 2007

service release

Originally posted by ephratah service center
                      Is it going to cost $500.00 to fix the file save issue Via an update to 12.2 or is it a free update? How do you get the update if it does not cost?
                      Service release. Possibly.

Comment

• Crusty
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                        Guys,

I know for a fact the file saving time issue has been fixed. It takes seconds now.

I took a 10 minute movie the other day and it saved in seconds. there are other improvements also.

The tool is good now and evolving quickly.

Bob
                        Try saving a BITMAP........It'll take almost SIX SECONDS......
                        AND the machine "loses" the live data while it's saving the screen shot-!!

As for the length of time recorded, if you look closely, you'll see that it saves sometimes only 4 minutes of drive time and others it'll be over 8 minutes.
                        Also when it's played back, if you look at the "time" pid in graph, you'll see a sharp rise in the angle. I measured and counted the data points gathered. In the first lower slope, it was gathering about 8 points per second, then after the sharp rise, it gathered 4 or 5 points per second, so it isn't consistent.
                        Without a "buffer bar" you never know how much data has been collected and when to save that first movie, and then when to save the second one so you don't miss anything.
                        Again this is dealing ACCURACY and COMPLETENESS of true functionality.

At least they dealt with saving movies to an external device, which the micro-SD card is.......Too bad they didn't listen to me when I told them about saving to an external device with my Solus-Pro FOUR YEARS AGO-!!!
                        I'll have to try it again with My SP. I've been saving to internal and then copying the files to a USB stick, which is a whole lot easier to carry to my computer than the entire scan tool.

Comment

• Crusty
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                          Service release. Possibly.
                          Key word........Possibly........
                          And that'll only deal with movies
                          And you still don't know how long the movie will be without a buffer bar.....
                          And it'll be another 500 smacker to get rid of the bitmaps and six second screen shot save, IF they ever deam it important enough to fix......
                          Hell, it only took 'em FOUR YEARS to deal with saving to an external device.

Comment

• Trentofdestiny
                            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ephratah service center
                            I just bought mine with 11.4 and dealer on the truck said free update to 12.2 when it comes out. He does it on the truck, plugging the Ultra to his PC and programming the microSD card, I believe. I don't think he touches the scanner itself; just uses the scanner as a big expensive memory card reader, lol, same as when you use ShopStream Connect.

Comment

• Speedybon
                              • Jan 2012

I Purchased the solus Ultra

So far Its been great, the speed and simplicity of its so much better. It ended up costing me 2500+tax including European, I wish the 16 pin cable was just a change over but the good out weights the bad. Thumbs up so far.
                              Last edited by Speedybon; 04-15-2012, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...