Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • estorilblu
    • Feb 2013

Which scanner to buy??

Hi Guys i work on a lot of bmw's currently have an Ethos 10.2 but i need something better i work for myself so i don't see the snap on guy any more. i get alot of traction control abs dsc pumps steering angle usual bmw faults,I need to calibrate steering angle sensors and coding would be nice too if possible any ideas what would suit me? thanks for any help.
  • eddie8
    • Mar 2008

You can still buy a snap on scanner even though your dealer isnt around. Any dealer can sell you one or go to the snap on site and buy one.

If I were you i would trade that ethos in and get a verus pro. Updated to 12.4 that tool kicks a**. Has pretty strong BMW coverage as well as alot of other euro cars.
    Edwin Hazzard
    Southeast Mobile Tech

Comment

• brad_m
      • Dec 2012

Would you not be better off looking into a factory BMW tool.

Even then I'd still be trading the ethos in on a Verus, or updating it to 12.4 and buying a pico scope.

Comment

• estorilblu
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by eddie8
        You can still buy a snap on scanner even though your dealer isnt around. Any dealer can sell you one or go to the snap on site and buy one.

If I were you i would trade that ethos in and get a verus pro. Updated to 12.4 that tool kicks a**. Has pretty strong BMW coverage as well as alot of other euro cars.
        Thanks for your advice so you guys think versus pro is the way to go but how do i find out for sure if this unit does what i need and want ie steering reset calibration and ecu coding? or does it do these? i didn't want to go just for bmw scan tool as i work on all makes just have more knowledge on BMW's.

Comment

• Foden
          • Mar 2011

solus ultra cant go wrong

just my two pence m8 but am also in uk and work for myself
          had a solus pro then upgraded with my dealer to a solus ultra when they came out, now i havent really came unstuck with the ultra at all as it does pretty much anything the verus etc do only no scope in it
          the coding etc can be done with solus ultra and covers a real good range of european cars which of course we work on ;-)
          if you have need of a scope then the vantage pro would be the one to go for in my opinion its what ive got so i can have the scanner hooked up on say live data and have the vantage hooked on as well at same time, makes it easier to see when a fault occurs you have the waveform and yer data on scanner whereas i think it may be more difficult with say the older modis which has scanner and scope in same tool.
          to recap the solus ultra and vantage pro as a pair would come in a lot less then a verus or verdict and thats always a bonus to me lol ;-) when yer work for yerself yer watching the pennies lol
          Foden

Comment

• brad_m
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by estorilblu
            Thanks for your advice so you guys think versus pro is the way to go but how do i find out for sure if this unit does what i need and want ie steering reset calibration and ecu coding? or does it do these? i didn't want to go just for bmw scan tool as i work on all makes just have more knowledge on BMW's.

For what you'll pay, I think a solus and a stand alone scope is better value for money. If you look at how much extra you'll pay to get a verus plus buying all the extra gear, You'd get better value buying a full pico kit from autonerdz.

Not that I don't like the snap on scope, I use a modis. Some times I wish i had more record time plus a few of the extra features the pico has.

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

I suggest the Solus-PRO and the Vantage-PRO. two stand alone units for similar reasons that FODEN has said. Also if one goes for a dump, you're not without BOTH tools when it's out for repair.
              The Solus-PRO may not be as "fancy nice" as the Solus-Ultra with touch screen and such but the Ultra is still "teething" AFAIC.
              With the Pico, as good as it is, you still need a laptop or at the least a net-book-?? to run it. The Vantage-Pro is a stand alone unit that is pretty durable and reliable (even with it's shortcomings)

Solus-Pro (ya the personality keys are a PITA but reliability takes precedence over fancy touch screens)
              Vantage-Pro.

Just my 2-cents....er...2-pence....whatever....LOL
              Last edited by Crusty; 03-02-2013, 08:07 AM. Reason: punctuation & spelling

Comment

• GRUSS
                • Nov 2012

I have a texa navigator and laptop and a vantage pro. I did however used to own a 4 channel pico automotive kit but found it too time consuming setting the laptop up then the scope, not to mention the constant battle with daylight (glare on the screen)

In the end I sold the pico and bought myself a VP... I love it!

However I am now looking at a verus for a better scanner. The texa is good but just slow and I have to cart the laptop around with me...

Comment

• brad_m
                  • Dec 2012

I've had a laptop with wireless internet permanently set up on my diagnostic bench for years.

It stores all of my electronic manuals, all of my notes and info on various repairs
                  and carries a license for my data subscriptions.

How you can get by without it I'll never understand, Unless you are running to a desktop pc somewhere else in the shop/office every time you need the next bit of info, then printing it and taking it back with you?

I'm actually planning on replacing it with a Desktop and large LCD screen, with the box under the bench and the screen off a wall bracket mounted on an extension from the back of the bench. Then using a back up power supply with a 1 hour run time, that will keep it all turned on when I need to move it around the shop.

There should really be no setup time for your laptop/pc as it should already be there running.

I'd prefer to do battle with sun light, then with ultra short record times on the scope.

Comment

• GRUSS
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by brad_m
                    I've had a laptop with wireless internet permanently set up on my diagnostic bench for years.

It stores all of my electronic manuals, all of my notes and info on various repairs
                    and carries a license for my data subscriptions.

How you can get by without it I'll never understand, Unless you are running to a desktop pc somewhere else in the shop/office every time you need the next bit of info, then printing it and taking it back with you?

I'm actually planning on replacing it with a Desktop and large LCD screen, with the box under the bench and the screen off a wall bracket mounted on an extension from the back of the bench. Then using a back up power supply with a 1 hour run time, that will keep it all turned on when I need to move it around the shop.

There should really be no setup time for your laptop/pc as it should already be there running.

I'd prefer to do battle with sun light, then with ultra short record times on the scope.
                    Most of my work is mobile which I forgot to mention, don't get me wrong I also have lots of technical info on my laptop but using the vp whilst out in the field is good enough for me!

Comment

• estorilblu
                      • Feb 2013

I'm really liking the look of the solus ultra i just missed out on one for £1650 off ebay 12.4 software good price? how much are they from dealer?

Comment

• estorilblu
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Foden
                        just my two pence m8 but am also in uk and work for myself
                        had a solus pro then upgraded with my dealer to a solus ultra when they came out, now i havent really came unstuck with the ultra at all as it does pretty much anything the verus etc do only no scope in it
                        the coding etc can be done with solus ultra and covers a real good range of european cars which of course we work on ;-)
                        if you have need of a scope then the vantage pro would be the one to go for in my opinion its what ive got so i can have the scanner hooked up on say live data and have the vantage hooked on as well at same time, makes it easier to see when a fault occurs you have the waveform and yer data on scanner whereas i think it may be more difficult with say the older modis which has scanner and scope in same tool.
                        to recap the solus ultra and vantage pro as a pair would come in a lot less then a verus or verdict and thats always a bonus to me lol ;-) when yer work for yerself yer watching the pennies lol
                        Foden
                        Nice how much was the ultra if you don't mind?

Comment

• king Barr
                          • Jan 2013

If you primarily work on BMW, I would get an autologic, by far the best tool for BMW. You can code, program, and initilize with it. it is a FULL function tool. it has a learning curve but i use it along with my verus everyday.It also comes with call in car repair and tech support. I didn't know you could code with SO euro, can you initialize?

If you are looking to spend around $3500 I would go with iscan2. Good/fairly complete euro and really good Asian coverage. I know you can code BMW with it. The domestic side isn't great.

I would go for a SO souls and a pico scope if I was starting out again. I like my verus pro, but find on some of the scoping, I don't get enough detail and time base, and settings. Also with vantage, you have to purchase all the add ons and they are way over priced through SO.

Like all scanners, there are holes. It depends on what you work on and what you need to do ie air bags, engine diAgnostics, trans, electrical ect...

Comment

Working...