Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JamesO
    • Dec 2014

Solus Ultra Questions

Fairly new to the Solus Ultra and I have a few questions, possibly I am missing the answers or the obvious part of what I need. I currently have Version 16.2 on my Solus Ultra.

1. BMW/Mini Battery Registration. I do not see this listed on a most of the BMW or Mini models. BMW/Mini has required battery registration for 10 years!!! Does the Solus Ultra support BMW/Mini Battery Registration? Have I missed this?

If BMW/Mini Battery Registration is not supported, when/if will be be added. Again, this has been needed for a decade!

2. Tool settings. Setting Units seems to be a bit on the slim side. How is Distance, Airflow, Electrical Power, Consumption and any other measurements adjusted that are not specifically listed.

The Solus Ultra only has Temp, Speed, Pressure, Weight, Volume and Torque/Power listed under Units that can be adjusted.

Any input would be appreciated.
  • BMW JEDI
    • Feb 2012

I also have 16.2 on my SOLUS Ultra, and have performed multiple battery registrations on both BMW and MINI.

This function is usually found under:

Engine > Functional Tests > Special Functions > Battery Replacement

and

Engine > Functional Tests > Special Functions > Change Battery Type

Comment

• JamesO
      • Dec 2014

Thanks for the reply. I need to connect up to a newer BMW/Mini and locate this.

I was looking over the options without being connected to the car so I was not able to see more in depth.

Kind of expected it to be a stand alone option or under some other location other than the Engine/DME.

Need to go back and see if Battery Registration was in earlier version as well, may have missed it.

Comment

• JamesO
        • Dec 2014

Interesting that there is not an option to change the MAF or some other settings from Metric to English/Imperial. Seems at least that the MAF reading defaults to Grams/Second on OBDII mode, but was listed as kg/Hr in Scan mode as I recall. Not sure how kg/Hr is very useful.

Seems all the values need to be user adjustable. I have a $4 App for my smart phone that has 12+ individual values settings for Metric or English/Imperial.

Not sure why these Professional tools cannot offer the same level of user customization as a $4 App?

Comment

• BMW JEDI
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by JamesO
          Interesting that there is not an option to change the MAF or some other settings from Metric to English/Imperial. Seems at least that the MAF reading defaults to Grams/Second on OBDII mode, but was listed as kg/Hr in Scan mode as I recall. Not sure how kg/Hr is very useful.

Seems all the values need to be user adjustable. I have a $4 App for my smart phone that has 12+ individual values settings for Metric or English/Imperial.

Not sure why these Professional tools cannot offer the same level of user customization as a $4 App?
          Your scan tool is reporting the value just as the vehicle reports it.

Comment

• JamesO
            • Dec 2014

I do not believe this is the case. Most PID's have conversion factors that are used to convert the data to a value that means something to the end user.

But there seems to be a need for many values to be displayed as Metric vs English/Imperial.

I think the problem is where you have software developers that do not work with the product or on vehicles that do not understand the requirement and need for individual Unit conversions.

I have worked with a number of tool vendors to make changes/adjustments that would allow for individual Unit settings vs wholesale Unit settings as well as tweaking some of the options for Units.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by JamesO
              I do not believe this is the case. Most PID's have conversion factors that are used to convert the data to a value that means something to the end user.

But there seems to be a need for many values to be displayed as Metric vs English/Imperial.

I think the problem is where you have software developers that do not work with the product or on vehicles that do not understand the requirement and need for individual Unit conversions.

I have worked with a number of tool vendors to make changes/adjustments that would allow for individual Unit settings vs wholesale Unit settings as well as tweaking some of the options for Units.
              On the vehicles where I have noticed some PIDs being displayed in a value not consistent with my preferences, the OEM tooling also uses the value specified by the controller, and thus I believe in these cases the aftermarket tooling is doing the same.

Comment

• sbreland73
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by BMW JEDI
                On the vehicles where I have noticed some PIDs being displayed in a value not consistent with my preferences, the OEM tooling also uses the value specified by the controller, and thus I believe in these cases the aftermarket tooling is doing the same.
                I second this thought. Considering the USA is one of a very small few countries that uses the English/Imperial system, it only makes sense that the imports are using some type of metric system. As for the conversions, if country X uses Kpa as a form of measurement, then it stands to reason the engineers would write the software in a controller to calculate based on said measurement. To go with this, why would they output a different measurement? Repair info may state "so and so at x Kpa" so this aligns with what should be output of the controller. I agree that it would be handy for the scan tool to allow for automatic conversion, but if your repair info gives you specs in one form, why would you want to view them in another?
                S. Breland

Comment

• dgsnap
                  • Nov 2009

On the home screen go into tools,settings,configure units and you can change your data pid values imp to metric

Comment

Working...