Modis Just "post" beeps , wont power up.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TurboG8GUY
    • Jul 2017

Modis Just "post" beeps , wont power up.

Alright guys I know snap-on themselves arent interested in helping us with their diagnostic tools but Im hoping we can help each other ..

Yesterday I powered on my Modis and like normal it came on everything worked ,I got to live data on a 2008 corvette and all the numbers were far outta wack..I powered down the system and powered it back on then I got a security error contact rep..thought it was a glitch since these things are designed with first gen nintendo style cartridges I removed the scope and obd card parts tried to power it on and now it just "Post" beeps

things Ive tried are powering it up without the cf card in it

resetting the cmos

replacing the cmos battery

powering it with the fan unplugged

Powering it with the battery out

Nothing, it still just beeps...I was told that since march snap-on will no longer be servicing the pre 2006 models nor can a franchisee do a recovery on the truck for it so essentially if we have issues just to buy another Modis...Idk about you guys but I use this tool daily as its the foundation for most diagnostic operations in my shop ...for snap-on to just say your beat is unbelievable and angering to me for the cost we put out on these tools ...and with no more support to not even give a field serviceable manual makes my blood boil

Do I say screw it and buy a maxidas and unload the other 90k in snap-on tools or is there a secret fix here im missing ...this is a pre 2006 model and it does run on windows but I can no longer get the specifics off it past that.
  • stioc
    • May 2017

Sorry to hear and I wish I had more info to help out. Have you opened it up to see what type of EPROM or chipset the motherboard has and then look for the 6 beep code online to see what it's complaining about? could be the memory, could be a dead display etc.

BTW, as nice as the snapon's builtin help/tips and connector info is I think I'll be going PICO + Autel + Identifix/AllData in the future. SnapOn needs to act less like a software company (e.g. Microsoft won't support Windows XP or other obsolete products) and more like an auto manufacturer where they at least publish all the technical data so the users and the aftermarket can repair/fix issues once they stop supporting the product. Because let's be real we're not talking about a $100 upgrade from XP to Win 7 or from Win 8 to Win 10...we're talking $5k+ to upgrade from a Modis to Verus Pro or whatever the latest iteration is nowadays.

Comment

• Tech10
      • Mar 2008

The first thing I would do is a battery reset (drain the caps) it possibly got software locked due to a bad battery. If that does not fix it your SOL too many things can go wrong with a first gen MODIS at this time. Somethings might get you booting again but it still will not work. The CPU, video and memory are part of the MB and any one of them could possibly be faulty, if that's the case you just need another MB. If you would like another MODIS I would suggest eBay. BTW there are like 4 - 6 fuses on the MB that can blow but what caused it to blow is the question. I think at least 2 feed the CPU. Also the CPU and video are BGA and possibly they could need to be reflowed. Just too much that can go wrong with it.

Comment

• TurboG8GUY
        • Jul 2017

Tech10 I just get 3 spaced beeps and the last is 3 unspaced so far without knowing anything other then Im pretty sure it runs windows CE3.0 and a liberator MB I was not sure on exactly who's info I should be looking at for Post beeps though thanks Stioc will do that ,Ive drained it completely , reset the cmos checked all fuses checked the cmos battery V got nowhere so far..I cant even find an MB and trust me Ive been trying lol ,I was hoping snap on would say "yea we can sell you an Mb but your on your own with it" but they flat out just said yea we stopped support in march on those style modis sorry have a nice day.

Ive been scanning ebay for days trying to snatch one up to replace it but coming up short on one with an even or a better update.

I dont expect them to last a lifetime but for the cost they should last longer then a damn car with an eec/aldl system if its obsolete by todays standards where is our real technical info on its system jeeze.. I hear about guys all the time bricking even the new ones with just updates, they say new ones are the same trash in a shiny new box ...My buddy has a verus that freezes about 3 times a work day he uses an actron in between ...

Think its safe to say they aren't the leading edge as far as reliability anymore putting to much trust in a product that has always needed more demo/glitch fix time to me there's no reason to keep going back . Plugging in, turning off and on ,pulling batteries and cards and adapters off and on is embarrassing technical advice and thats all ya get even on their newest .

I feel like snap-on really does stop supporting them when they figure out its only a matter of time before they break and with no more support you'll buy a new one ...But hell no I wont I dont have a snappy credit account I have no issue going to a pico and an autel if I have to.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

If your patience runs very thin and your blood boils easily. A new A.... platform could very well have you taking your aggravation home with you.
          Have you discussed tapping your HELOC with the wife or a line of credit with Strap on? Decisions Decisions It's a tough decision for a dirty job like cleaning the kitchen floor. Do you use a big old industrial mop and bucket to get the job done quick or The Swifter Maxi Pad on a stick
          Last edited by Witsend; 07-08-2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• TurboG8GUY
            • Jul 2017

well I figured it out ...Kinda ...the chip is made by ZF its called a Mach V x86pc Failsafe
            it uses a phoenix bios ...the error beeps mean set key click enable, now whether its a corrupted Bios or something in the cmos itself is beyond my skills , heres a copy of the non corrupted Cf system info
            Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

looks like it needs to see a Modis serial # and a Motherboard version #

Comment

• TurboG8GUY
                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Witsend
                looks like it needs to see a Modis serial # and a Motherboard version #
                has the serial you just never know if the chinese guys need a clone serial so I blue'd it out lol ,the Mb version was zero though , either shes really old or thats an issue lol

turns out Im nowhere closer then before when I started so I threw it on good ol' craigslist for parts , done with snappy I ordered a picoscope and a maxidas and I already have Hptuners for the quick stuff

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

The Maxidas DS708 has not been produced for a couple years you can no longer purchase updates for an older one from their web siteThey replaced it initially with a MaxiSys MS906, but recently a DS808 that is slightly smaller screen with a smaller lith Ion battery. They recently down graded with a update that removed the DS808 and MS906 battery to be charged from the DLC port, claiming doing so can extend the battery life, but I think it has more to do with saving themselves warranty claims and getting more folk to opt for buying the pricier models that still retain the capability.

Comment

• TurboG8GUY
                    • Jul 2017

so your sayin they copied snappy in their business model?

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

so your sayin they copied snappy in their business model?
                      No, but They're learning. Back around 2013 You briefly had tools that could do a lot of OE functionality that normally require a J box and purchasing a subscription and you probably wouldn't need to buy a update for several years .The tools coverage was pretty much up to date, so if you rarely work on something newer than 3 years old you wouldn't have to update, basically because it was more or less thinly veiled OE software it really wasn't as hit or miss until Ford sued , and others threatened to follow suit, they removed all the OE logos and rolled out system updates to change the software architecture to be more uniquely their own style to placate the lawyers and lots of people claimed that some old coverage and functionality got compromised after updating and adding new coverage. Engineers time became more involved with System interface updates to stay one step ahead to baffle the copyright lawyers and functionality of the software got more hit and miss. Folk felt that some updates were downgrading functionality to placate lawyers so folk became afraid to update old platforms and instead just opt to buy a new platform and keep the older platform to fall back on in case something occasionally seems missing or no longer works you could fall back on the old platform. Support used to try to help folk on the user forum , but not any longer. Often,One car make or another software, something on it seemed to end up in the proverbial Sh@tter after updates that you hope they could fix in a new version before the update period runs out. Not sure if they are gonna start to play the slow roll game like some auto repair software where 2017 cars just get codes, definitions, and data pids, then the following year you'll need to buy an update, to get bi-directional in some modules, then you need to buy another update to get some more Bidirectional, and some coding added , etc , etc , where once upon a time 3 years ago a 2013 update for some makes had almost all the 2013 OE tool capability you would ever need for the current year car!
                      Last edited by Witsend; 07-09-2017, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• stioc
                        • May 2017

Congrats on your new toys; I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts once you have some time with both the PICO and the Maxsys.

As for the MODIS that does sound like a hardware problem- may be post it for sale here, could be used for parts.

Comment

Working...