X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Electronic Parking Brake

Most decent Scan tools today should be able to fully retract the parking brake screw inside the rear calipers for the past decade already, but sometimes you need to just use a power probe.(2 wire connector)
    A friend of mine was trying to save a few bucks and do the rear brakes pads on his girlfriend's VW himself and out of the blue he called me in a bind to see if I had the special tool with 3 slots to fit the VW rear caliper to rotate the piston in. Not knowing her car had electronic parking brake I told him I don't loan out my tools to my customers to fix their own cars, but if the auto parts store don't have loaner tool that work then try Harbor freight. I asked what year car , and told him it might have electronic parking brake, if you don't see a cable. He didn't know but said he has the one caliper with him at the auto parts store. I said cool, bring it by. He comes by with it and sure enough it's got 2 wire EPB. I have a 12v jumper box and a PowerProbe but not knowing what the polarity is to run the internal screw inboard instead of out, I had to shove a piece of steel, wood and some fender washers to keep the piston from coming out if I got it wrong, and I'm glad I did , because the piston applied pressure, so I had to reverse the polarity and ran the
    EPB motor briefly several times until the piston could push in fully.
    If you got 2 wire EPB it might actually be just as quick to disconnect the connectors at the rear calipers and have a couple junkyard EPB pigtails off a Farfignueegen junks to retract these parking brake screws.
Working...