X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Quick Go -No Go Piston TDC depth checker

Got a 98 ranger with no compression on #6 that had overheated and exhaust valve has high leakage. The Ford Dealer that originally checked inside with camera and told the guy the cylinder wall and piston looked ok when they took a look inside. Being leery of possible Hydrolock damage , I brought #2 to TDC , slowly turning crank by hand and made a hasty makeshift tool to make sure #2 and #6 (paired cylinders on the coil pack) pistons were about the same height as one another before I take engine apart and find a piston is lower because of a bent rod.
    Attached Files
  • dodge90
    • Oct 2014

interesting, never thought of that. usally if I get a overheat and no to low comp. i drop it there and just replace the motor or pull head depending on more info as to how hot and how long it was hot, milage on eng. Question though. you checked "paired cyl" from coil pack. Reason for that?? Wouldn't checking Cyl 6 and say Cyl 1 be the same? Now thinking maybe the reason for that elusive slight/faint miss I see once in a while, bent rod cause if the valves are sealing their still should be compression. right or wrong?
    I've tried and tried, but can't seem to fix stupid!

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by dodge90
      interesting, never thought of that. usally if I get a overheat and no to low comp. i drop it there and just replace the motor or pull head depending on more info as to how hot and how long it was hot, milage on eng. Question though. you checked "paired cyl" from coil pack. Reason for that?? Wouldn't checking Cyl 6 and say Cyl 1 be the same? Now thinking maybe the reason for that elusive slight/faint miss I see once in a while, bent rod cause if the valves are sealing their still should be compression. right or wrong?
      Depends on the firing order and the cylinder numbering system and WHICH cylinders are "paired" where one cylinder is on TDC COMPRESSION and which cylinder is on TDC EXHAUST. (intake, compression, power, exhaust, four strokes)
      THAT is where he was looking for the difference in piston height. TDC is the same height.

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

James

You have waaaaaaaay too much time on your hands!!!

Steve

Comment

Working...