Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinisterwillys1940
    • Feb 2016

Something goofy with mt2500

I just bought a mt2500 and its not working correctly. I'm new with this thing but I have all these books for it so I know how to use it. But when I hook it up, or when I bush the quick Id button I get 2 rows of black square dots. I don't know if its normal or if I'm doing something wrong or what's wrong
    Attached Files
  • twincity
    • Feb 2008

Check your internal 9 volt battery. If that is good; then remove and reinstall your cartridges. If that doesn't fix it; hopefully someone else will know.

Good Luck,
    Robert

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Hey Looks like your clear screen has Bio-degrading to a frosted glass appearance too like my old POS MT2500. I'm also starting to see that double row of ominous black boxes displaying at times and I could not communicate with a 93 Jeep with CCD connector to pull ABS codes last time I used my black cartridge, so I tried the older red primary domestic cartridge and all I got was the black boxes. Even though my present old Port Freight 08 is a POS compared to the newer generation of Tablet scanners it is so so much better than my old MT2500 ever was, and I believe owner's of new Snappy scanners like owners of present new American motor cycles should be thankful that if it weren't for the competition rice rocket bikes and the Launch-a-das scan tools to put some scare into our American Laurels we might be still strapping our red bricks to knucklehead Sporties.

Comment

• Sinisterwillys1940
        • Feb 2016

It makes sense if the screen is getting bad it's from January 1989. I put in a new battery still same thing, I ripped it apart to check connection and I found this. I don't know if it's normal but it's like a bad connection between the screen and the mother board. They've corroded and some look like they've been rusted through. I'll post a picture of it

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

well i fixed the no abs communication problem with a 93 jeep grand Cherokee Ltd by doing some tests and found only 2 volts at CAB connector pin that i should see power from fuse 15. Restrained myself from major loom surgery and found I had voltage at the ABS system relay terminal that gets power from the same fuse . unrolled some 14gauge wire stripped a little off and shoved it in correct female terminal for relay and shoved the relay in to recepticle routed the wire across the top of radiator support and , cut the wire only getting 2 volts and spliced the new Rube Goldburg wire to the wire to the end going to the CAB. Now I got communication with MT2500 and the ABS light went out after bulb test. Can't count this Old Tool out yet.
          ( Both Me and the Brick, LOL)
          Last edited by Witsend; 02-10-2016, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• scottjh9
            • Dec 2015

I had the same problem

I had the same problem with an mt2500 bundle I bought on ebay. I knew the scanner was bad but was hoping I could fix it. The problem ended up being the small plug in connectors that go from the screen to the motherboard. Two of the plug in needles were burnt off. If I knew how to solder relly good I think I could fix it. If you do split the case be careful of the data ribbons that connect the screen to the board, they are tricky to put back in. On the flip side I only paid 40 bucks for everything and got a couple of adapters I did not have including a functional can1b adapter I have been looking hard for and at a decent price. So it worked out great for me. If you feel like splitting the case you may find the problem there.

Comment

• Sinisterwillys1940
              • Feb 2016

Thank you for the info that makes sense. I know someone who knows electronics and there's evidence of water damage. The main black chip thing was rusted out too. So it's gotta be something along the lines of what yours has
              Last edited by Sinisterwillys1940; 02-10-2016, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Probably just years of condensation from going from cold to warm for the last 25 years. Before I turn on the heat in the morning I can sometimes see my breath. I need to remember to drain my compressor water before I turn off the heat, I hold any Chinese impact gun and sockets in front of the furnace for a couple minutes so they warm up before hand and won't shatter when I go to use them. After 2 cups of coffee or a beer , Sometimes have to pee in an antifreeze container until the toilet thaws out, creates a fog in the shop that condenses to frost on everything

Comment

Working...