Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Kirkbarrow Garage, I think the guy or gal on the other end of phone will politely try to help you out and maybe send the link to the instructions of the SD card software reinstall you already tried, but most certainly say the platform is no longer supported with parts or repairs, and Jack Mehoff their former Solus repair Guru won't be back in town from an Android Forum in SingUrPoor until Thursday, but she could transfer you to his voice mail, or send you a special promotion discount code for a new Zuess
    Definitely worth a try.
    Maybe the repair tech has an entire Solus button sequence chart that can be de-classified and put out there so we be able to set time and date of Solus in Windows CF safe mode, but that might require a sign off from some Higher up Joe.
    Last edited by Witsend; 10-02-2017, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Witsend
      Kirkbarrow Garage, I think the guy or gal on the other end of phone will politely try to help you out and maybe send the link to the instructions of the SD card software reinstall you already tried, but most certainly say the platform is no longer supported with parts or repairs, and Jack Mehoff their former Solus repair Guru won't be back in town from an Android Forum in SingUrPoor until Thursday, but she could transfer you to his voice mail, or send you a special promotion discount code for a new Zuess
      Definitely worth a try.
      Maybe the repair tech has an entire Solus button sequence chart that can be de-classified and put out there so we be able to set time and date of Solus in Windows CF safe mode, but that might require a sign off from some Higher up Joe.
      Hi Witsend, my thinking is/was that Snap On would rather I " junk " or ' trade up ' and neither is what I am desiring with a secondary/backup unit.
      But, yes, a " declassification " of normal technical information that should be in free domain for us to use is what I think too.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
        Hi Witsend, my thinking is/was that Snap On would rather I " junk " or ' trade up ' and neither is what I am desiring with a secondary/backup unit.
        But, yes, a " declassification " of normal technical information that should be in free domain for us to use is what I think too.
        Strictly out of curiosity, why the aversion to calling Tech Support?
        You asked, and were answered a week ago, and you're still looking for an alternative answer, like someone is hiding the truth from you.
        I'm not trying to be combative. Just trying to figure out your strategy.
        the folks on this board are very helpful. If I had an answer, I'd give it. So would Steve.

Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
          Strictly out of curiosity, why the aversion to calling Tech Support?
          You asked, and were answered a week ago, and you're still looking for an alternative answer, like someone is hiding the truth from you.
          I'm not trying to be combative. Just trying to figure out your strategy.
          the folks on this board are very helpful. If I had an answer, I'd give it. So would Steve.

Joe
          Hi Joe, I see you quote what I wrote and also ask why the " aversion " to call tech support.
          Hmmmmm ?

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

It wouldn't hurt to call support and see if they can help you and let us know how it goes. See if it goes better than the fictitious scenario

Comment

• sbreland73
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
              Hi Joe, I see you quote what I wrote and also ask why the " aversion " to call tech support.
              Hmmmmm ?
              We are all wondering why you have not contacted Tech Support for this issue is what he is saying.
              S. Breland

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by sbreland73
                We are all wondering why you have not contacted Tech Support for this issue is what he is saying.
                Fair question. It would be impractical for anyone to call tech support about a scanner that isn't in front of them. I couldn't answer a single question about it other than what has been posted here, and couldn't try a single thing they suggest to fix it.
                Those guys have really short hold times, and are happy to help.

Joe
                "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                Henry Ford

Comment

• demarcjp
                  • Oct 2017

Follow up

I have tried tech support - they no longer support. I also have the 2037 date issue and I am wondering if a solution has ever been discovered? If I do the setcoldboot will it hurt anything on the CF card??

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by demarcjp
                    I have tried tech support - they no longer support. I also have the 2037 date issue and I am wondering if a solution has ever been discovered? If I do the setcoldboot will it hurt anything on the CF card??
                    Hi demarcjp, no, setting " coldboot.bak " will only reload the software and definitely not allow access to the utilities we need to get at here.
                    As Snap On do not service these, and would recommend junking a unit with years of possible life in it, I fail to see why I should dump $$$$$$$ into a dumpster and spend a gazillion more $$$$$$$$ on something that possibly is ' technically ' superior, but will it do exactly what I want, when I want, and do it the way I want it too !
                    My Solus ( Solii ? Ethii ? Solus Pro & Modis ) all do what I want, if and when I want, and maybe they are ' obsolete ' by Snap On standards, but they made them and I like them, so why should I trade up, just because " they say so ! "

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Hi demarcjp, no, setting " coldboot.bak " will only reload the software and definitely not allow access to the utilities we need to get at here.
                      As Snap On do not service these, and would recommend junking a unit with years of possible life in it, I fail to see why I should dump $$$$$$$ into a dumpster and spend a gazillion more $$$$$$$$ on something that possibly is ' technically ' superior, but will it do exactly what I want, when I want, and do it the way I want it too !
                      My Solus ( Solii ? Ethii ? Solus Pro & Modis ) all do what I want, if and when I want, and maybe they are ' obsolete ' by Snap On standards, but they made them and I like them, so why should I trade up, just because " they say so ! "
                      There is more than one person that mans the phones for tech support and your experience versus Demarcjp's experience could vary depending on who you talk to and who you had contact with before. Tell tech support that you understand that the platform is no longer supported by updates or repairs but Joe Rappa sent you. Tell them that you are technically saavy and it shouldn't take too long to explain what you could try. Good luck and let us know what happens

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                        • Jan 2015

RE :- ' tech support ' 😱😱

Sorry for the delay to respond, but my father has recently been quite ill and necessitated several stays in hospital over the last few weeks, so I had to keep my family ( closest 3 days travel ) updated on this.
                        I have finally managed to contact ' tech support ' and basically they said " we have no parts or software for the Solus and it appears the back up battery has failed.
                        Now, as a very experienced Radio, TV, Video, Audio & Satellite technician, before retraining as an Auto technician, along with numerous extra computer courses, which gives me ability to build and repair any PC or laptop, along with repair of tablets, cell phone et al, I know a back up battery can be either a 2CR style battery ( eg 2CR2032 normally ) or a special capacitor designed for the purpose of use as a backup battery.
                        However as there is no 2CR type battery, and I also have no circuit diagram for a Solus, it currently appears to be a doorstop, unless or until I work out which is the capacitor being used as the backup battery on this unit.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Sorry for the delay to respond, but my father has recently been quite ill and necessitated several stays in hospital over the last few weeks, so I had to keep my family ( closest 3 days travel ) updated on this.
                          I have finally managed to contact ' tech support ' and basically they said " we have no parts or software for the Solus and it appears the back up battery has failed.
                          Now, as a very experienced Radio, TV, Video, Audio & Satellite technician, before retraining as an Auto technician, along with numerous extra computer courses, which gives me ability to build and repair any PC or laptop, along with repair of tablets, cell phone et al, I know a back up battery can be either a 2CR style battery ( eg 2CR2032 normally ) or a special capacitor designed for the purpose of use as a backup battery.
                          However as there is no 2CR type battery, and I also have no circuit diagram for a Solus, it currently appears to be a doorstop, unless or until I work out which is the capacitor being used as the backup battery on this unit.
                          (Sorry to hear your Dad isn't doing well, Prayers and best wishes for a fast recovery )
                          So in in a Nut Shell with support , Jack Mehoff was absolutely of no help for at least providing you a Declassified Schematic of the board. Doesn't "Joe Rappa sent me" carry some clout ?

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Witsend
                            (Sorry to hear your Dad isn't doing well, Prayers and best wishes for a fast recovery )
                            So in in a Nut Shell with support , Jack Mehoff was absolutely of no help for at least providing you a Declassified Schematic of the board. Doesn't "Joe Rappa sent me" carry some clout ?
                            Hi Witsend, Thankyou got your kind thoughts, sadly my father is 79, and had a major cancer operation 4 years ago, and not been really ' well ' since, so I know we will lose him at some point, just wish that point did not occur.

And not seen any response from a Jack Mehoff so I am guessing that is just a pun to play along with ' tech ( no ) support ' from our friendly ( let's sell em a Zeuss ) Snap On selling team ��
                            Last edited by kirkbarrow.garage; 12-05-2017, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Working...