X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Scanning GM Cars and correct RPO code selections

My Sister in law changes cars like her underware , and just out of curiosity I asked her if I could scan her new vehicle, and was able to auto VIN ID and auto scan a 2018 Chevrolet Trax with a the Max Cyst but There were multiple 1.4Lengine choices with some 3 digit letter codes to select from and also a couple different audio systems with 3 digit RPO code choices to select the audio system which was a PITA since I couldn't find where the damn RPO code label is on this model. Wasn't in glove box ,WTF
    I was wondering if Snap On scanners, besides auto decoding the VIN#s to tell what the vehicle is, are able to save you time and auto pull the RPO code data and fill in the blanks for you without BS of having to look for some elusive RPO code label or call the dealer and just fill in the correct selection for you automatically?
    Bluetooth and AutoID and scan feature is nice to have but more often than I care to , attach battery maintainer, I have to call VW dealer to get the engine codes I paint on next to the worthless VECI labels, Toyota I have to go Einee Meini on Laser Cruise yes or no and other cr@p selection promps to be entered before I can sit in the air conditioned office and scan the car and have a cold one while I wait for auto scan to complete.
    Last edited by Witsend; 05-29-2018, 08:11 AM.
  • bestdamgarage
    • Apr 2016

Never have been asked on the snap on to select an RPO.
    Common place for them besides glove box is on spare tire cover at least on gm vehicles.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Never have been asked on the snap on to select an RPO.
      Common place for them besides glove box is on spare tire cover at least on gm vehicles.
      If that is true ,, if the Snap On scanner reads the VIN and automatically knows the RPO codes it has instead of you having to look for correct RPO or determine if it has Laser Cruise or active cruise control and making the correct selection before the autoscan can commence that is something that can save you time and make you money, however if scanner doesn't really know the specific RPO codes and just does things more generic way for user friendliness and faster speed and forgoes some useful advanced coding and functionality for lack of knowing RPOs, and where you might have to purchased OE subscription and use a Jbox more often , The money you just saved on 5 minutes times 20 for user friendliness and speed will evaporate when you need to pull out a J box and purchase a sub , so it probably evens out .

Comment

• bestdamgarage
        • Apr 2016

i know for sure it misses thing chevy trailblazer extended for example.My verus wont see rear hvac module at all the 908 does pulls codes and has bi-directional controls for actuators.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
          • Jan 2011

Without having access to the build information from the Vin number it would be impossible for them to add that feature with RPO codes.

BTW the large Vans typically have the RPO code sticker on the Door or door jam even. Seen some of the GM cars do this too... Also Don't forget to look on the passenger side when looking at doors and Jams...

Gm Typically uses the 8 digit from left to right for the engine ID. Even if it's the Same displacement with a different RPO option

I haven't had any thing that new to scan with my scanner.

It is possible that Snap On engineers have not yet got all the engine codes for that make yet...

They don't Copy and Paste the way the Chinese do...

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
            • Apr 2011

Autel and Launch have the same problem. It's why I don't use those tools on american cars. Specially GM. They ask RPO and random questions. Which Snap-On tools do not.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Autel and Launch have the same problem. It's why I don't use those tools on american cars. Specially GM. They ask RPO and random questions. Which Snap-On tools do not.
              It would be better to hold off asking you specific RPO codes until after all the system modules are scanned for codes, then if you need to go into the speific systems further for more specific data, active tests, special functions and or coding , then have you select specific RPO codes. I like to do a quick autoscan of vehicles before doing any work on them , so I know beforehand what is there and not something I might have caused doing the repairs

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Regular Production Option (RPO's) labels have been in several places over the years.

Glove box DOOR, Inside the glove box, Centre console LID, centre console bottom, Truck LID, Passenger visor.
                Cardboard spare tire cover top (under the carpet), spare tire cover underneath, Inside of rear quarter panels behind carpet.

The RPO codes can help deciding which parts fit which vehicle.

Unfortunately recent model years no longer have the RPO (or spid label as some parts departments call it) affixed to the vehicle.

I think this recent omission of the label is a HUGE mistake.

Many times parts houses have asked "WHICH" calipers are on the vehicle in the bay. How the heck do I know-?? Here's the VIN. You're the parts expert.
                Same thing with imports, and Fords, too.

The RPO label was a fantastic idea.

Whenever I order parts, or even ask to check for parts fitment, price, and availability, I provide the serial number of the vehicle to whoever I'm on the phone with.
                Aftermarket parts houses can get to SOME of the information, but the Dealers have all the information.

I'd be willing to bet some Wile Coyote got a bonus for saying "we could save 4-1/2 cents per vehicle by leaving that label off".

I'm sure my vote doesn't count, but my vote says put the spid label back on the vehicles.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

I'm sure my vote doesn't count, but my vote says put the spid label back on the vehicles.
                  Better yet The manufacturer should make the RPO information easy to access from a scan tool or display manually by voice command from the Vehicle information center pressing On Star button .Just imagine how much time in the day that their dealer parts pros and service advisors have to dedicate wasting valuable time to looking up and provide this information where it could be better spent helping their own techs and service customers.

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                    Better yet The manufacturer should make the RPO information easy to access from a scan tool or display manually by voice command from the Vehicle information center pressing On Star button .Just imagine how much time in the day that their dealer parts pros and service advisors have to dedicate wasting valuable time to looking up and provide this information where it could be better spent helping their own techs and service customers.
                    The information is available in the Dealer parts system very easily and quickly. Simply enter the VIN and the correct part number shows up.
                    No time is wasted IF you get a Dealer parts person who knows what they're doing.

A simple example for an older vehicle is the A/C systems, which a particular vehicle may have been built with.
                    C60, C65, C68 (RPO codes)
                    C60 = manual.
                    C65 = semi automatic
                    C68 = fully automatic.

Some vehicles could have been built with any of the 3 systems depending on how it came down the assembly line. The VIN lookup in the Dealer system finds which one very quickly.

SOME aftermarket parts systems specify different parts for different RPO builds such as JB2 or JB6 for a couple of brake systems (example)

SOMETIMES the SnapOn scanners query the vehicle and automatically select the appropriate vehicle system it was built with. Sometimes we have to tell the scanner which system is in the vehicle but they rarely (if ever) ask us for an RPO number.

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

The information is available in the Dealer parts system very easily and quickly. Simply enter the VIN and the correct part number shows up.
                      No time is wasted IF you get a Dealer parts person who knows what they're doing.
                      Are there links to GM and other manufacturer websites that doesn't require a paid subscriptions and or a log in where I can just enter a vehicle VIN # and it will give me an as built list of all the specific RPO codes without me having to actually search for label or call the local dealer for the information? Even a link to a free PDF chart of the model ,year , The RPO codes and what they mean for given year/model can help at times where the glove box is locked or lots of things in rear of vehicle preventing access to find RPO code label? VW and German car Engine codes/ KW ratings is another PITA .

Comment

• Crusty
                        • Dec 2007

Are there links to GM and other manufacturer websites that doesn't require a paid subscriptions and or a log in where I can just enter a vehicle VIN # and it will give me an as built list of all the specific RPO codes without me having to actually search for label or call the local dealer for the information? Even a link to a free PDF chart of the model ,year , The RPO codes and what they mean for given year/model can help at times where the glove box is locked or lots of things in rear of vehicle preventing access to find RPO code label? VW and German car Engine codes/ KW ratings is another PITA .
                        The short answer is NO
                        I wish there was.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                          • Jan 2011

There is a site but you have to pay... They have some reasonable options like 5 vins for $5 dollars. I have not used it since it went to a pay site so I don't have any experience with it. In the past, it was very helpful with a list of full RPO codes.

Comment

• jables2006
                            • Dec 2015

New GM RPO Process

For 2018. Get your smart phone. Download a QR reader (recommended Data Matrix or I-Nigma) Scan the vin label (typically on the b pillar) Vin & all RPO codes should POP up. Thanks to ATRA for this info)

Comment

• Tech_A
                              • Jul 2014

My Sister in law changes cars like her underware , and just out of curiosity I asked her if I could scan her new vehicle, and was able to auto VIN ID and auto scan a 2018 Chevrolet Trax with a the Max Cyst but There were multiple 1.4Lengine choices with some 3 digit letter codes to select from and also a couple different audio systems with 3 digit RPO code choices to select the audio system which was a PITA since I couldn't find where the damn RPO code label is on this model. Wasn't in glove box ,WTF
                              I was wondering if Snap On scanners, besides auto decoding the VIN#s to tell what the vehicle is, are able to save you time and auto pull the RPO code data and fill in the blanks for you without BS of having to look for some elusive RPO code label or call the dealer and just fill in the correct selection for you automatically?
                              Bluetooth and AutoID and scan feature is nice to have but more often than I care to , attach battery maintainer, I have to call VW dealer to get the engine codes I paint on next to the worthless VECI labels, Toyota I have to go Einee Meini on Laser Cruise yes or no and other cr@p selection promps to be entered before I can sit in the air conditioned office and scan the car and have a cold one while I wait for auto scan to complete.
                              I would assume auto RPO would be difficult since their is no easily identifiable standard. Unlike other manufacturers where the last 7 digits of the VIN or a combination of engine VIN and other vin characters can offer a greater insight to the vehicle's characteristics; such as the specific engine.

Comment

Working...