Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • transtroll
    • Jun 2009

PT Cruiser Limp-in mode, no codes

This vehicle arrived and was working okay. It was leaking from the front and had a code P0755 2-4 sol. electrical. We resealed the trans and made sure the clutches were good and reinstalled the unit. We road tested the PT and everything worked fine. After the customer picked up the car and left, he called us in 20 min. and said it wasn't shifting anymore. He brought it back and sure enough it was in fail-safe with a code 755. we replaced the soliniod pack and cleared the codes on the trans side and the engine side. after cycling the key (without starting the engine) the trans stays in limp mode. If you atempt a road test it will eventually throw the 755 code. Both 2-4 wires check good from the sol. pack to the TCM. any Ideas?
  • 66superduty
    • Apr 2009

have you checked an tested the transmission control rely ? 2 grounds AND 2 POWERS TO THAT RELY

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

If it stays in limp mode after cycling the ignition it must be a hard code and should show up in the one trip codes menu. Try to command the solenoid with the functional tests. Use n amp probe around the red or white wire at the valve body or back probe the control wire and watch for an inductive kick, most of these soleniods draw around 500 milli amps. If its a hard code there must be an open or shorted circiut somewhere.

Comment

• joenash
        • Jan 2009

I had this problem with the verus , what scanner are you using? & software version? A few chrysler products a jeep and a dodge I had this problem, anyway try if you only have the one scanner to use going into the car obd generic, usually it spits out a code then.
        But if the scanner is talking you must look in the trans codes part of the software , but i have had latley some chrysler problems, but then again I am using a verus!!!
        JOENASH

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by transtroll
          This vehicle arrived and was working okay. It was leaking from the front and had a code P0755 2-4 sol. electrical. We resealed the trans and made sure the clutches were good and reinstalled the unit. We road tested the PT and everything worked fine. After the customer picked up the car and left, he called us in 20 min. and said it wasn't shifting anymore. He brought it back and sure enough it was in fail-safe with a code 755. we replaced the soliniod pack and cleared the codes on the trans side and the engine side. after cycling the key (without starting the engine) the trans stays in limp mode. If you atempt a road test it will eventually throw the 755 code. Both 2-4 wires check good from the sol. pack to the TCM. any Ideas?
          A few years ago I pumped about 3 litres of fluid out the dipstick and refilled the same volume of clean fresh fluid just for a maintenance on a Dodge Caravan.
          Apparently it didn't like having a little clean fresh fluid (no the fluid wasn't burnt, discoloured or smelly, it was just a bit of fluid for maintenance, and I've had trannys last for years this way and done this hundreds of times with no problems)
          After about 5 minutes, the customer returned complaining of the light on and the tranny not shifting properly (he was a regular and had watched the old fluid come out and the new fluid go in) This one had a code (which I can't remember exactly right now) but I did a "clutch volume relearn" and all was well. Apparently they're really sensitive to clean fresh fluid.. LOL..HTH

Comment

• joenash
            • Jan 2009

most dodge products have to learn the fluid viscosity, it tells them how much pressure to apply to the clutches, after a trans service you have to make the trans relearn, or drive it and it will eventlly learn, but after rereading your post it sounds like you have a bad sol pack, I have replaced them manny times on caravans, they leak or have sol problems.
            JOENASH

Comment

• transtroll
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by 66superduty
              have you checked an tested the transmission control rely ? 2 grounds AND 2 POWERS TO THAT RELY
              when a chrysler computer comands limp mode it shuts off the eatx relay to activate limp. If I use a jumper wire in stead of the relay I have good power but still no shifting because of the limp mode command.

Comment

• transtroll
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by joenash
                most dodge products have to learn the fluid viscosity, it tells them how much pressure to apply to the clutches, after a trans service you have to make the trans relearn, or drive it and it will eventlly learn, but after rereading your post it sounds like you have a bad sol pack, I have replaced them manny times on caravans, they leak or have sol problems.
                When the pt yo-yoed the first thing we did was replace the sol. pack....
                I'm thinking a computer problem, I worked on a PT one time before that needed an Ecm instead of a Tcm but I'm not sure why... I was grasping at straws and got lucky. Since I am eating this whole job I can't just throw money at it til it goes away lol

Comment

• joenash
                  • Jan 2009

Well that is why you have the scanner to do test if you use the scanner to acuate the solenoid and it does not you have to guess that the tcm is faulty, that is as long as the harness is okay and their is no other problems found,
                  I know verus wants to link you to mitchel cause snap on owns them, and I use alldata, so I just print out the flow chart and check the car. if you are not sure try another scanner.
                  JOENASH

Comment

• Monzsta
                    • Apr 2009

Your harness is rubbing through either where the harness brackets to the trans case on the side or in the front. It's a red wire, if I recall. Give it a good wiggle and torque test. It'll do it without the road trip.

Comment

• mdeck
                      • Jan 2011

some info

Hi I have worked on alot of these types of odd hard to figure out electric problems. As a general rule it is ussually the wiring harness, due to corosion or friction. The easy fix is always to change the part but it seldome rver works. I have had a short in a caravan interior light basically shut it down and it took me days to fix it right even with all the diagnostic tools, because of the way all off the different computer modules work together in these vehichles.
                      fixit.eprofits.com

Comment

• Magicman
                        • Feb 2018

Where are the rly at

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

D@mn Magic man that thread is rly old. Are you one of the regulars on the Autestic forum like me?
                          Last edited by Witsend; 02-26-2018, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Working...