Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Green
    • Oct 2009

Modis

Ok I own a Solus Pro carbon fibre edition, which is probably a little over 12 months old, and I also own a Vantage Pro which is within the last 12 months which both items were bought from Snap On brand new. My dealer today advises that he has a second hand trade in Modis, and he asked me if I was interested in part exchanging my Solus for the Modis?

My problems now are that his Modis is second hand although my Solus is the same, but I can count the number of vehicles it has been used on and is in new condition, the Modis has no history attached?

I was also considering buying a Pico four channel scope, I have a CD with demos and the software updates for Pico are free for life, and life means life not limited time. The Pico advanced kit is only £1995 GBP, my dealer never mentioned a price, but common sense says it's in his favour and not mine?

David
  • hefaus
    • Dec 2007

Modis

Hi David. There is an old Modis and a newer design Modis. I believe the newer design has the operating system on the side where the older version design has the cf card on the top. I like What the Pico can do. It seems like an excellent machine. Enjoy. Keep Smiling Austin

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

The best way to make sure you are getting a new style Modis is to make sure the screen is replaceable (it is raised a little, and has a small opening on the right side of the screen to insert a removal tool).
      You also want to make sure you have the faster motherboard. Remove the left hand grip. If there is a mini USB port, it is the faster board.

hefaus, both old and new Modis' ran from a CF card under the left grip. I bet you were thinking of the USB port.

David, if you have both a SP and a VP I don't think there is a great advantage to changing platforms. The scanner and meter coverage is identical to what you already have. What are you looking to gain?
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• hefaus
        • Dec 2007

Modis

Thanks Joe. That was what I was thinking.

Comment

• MikeyT
          • May 2010

David,

Consider the lower cost of the updates for the Solus Pro vs. MODIS. Both platforms have their advantages/disadvantages over the other, such as 4 channel scope vs. 2 channel scope. And the ability to scan and scope simultaneously vs. having both tools in one unit. But it is hard to justify the cost difference between updates for the Solus Pro vs. MODIS.

Comment

• hologram
            • Mar 2010

having used the modis and now upgraded to the verus i would sat to you the modis is by far a more powerful overall machie then the pico as it combines the scope(4 channel) the ability to record,review,and save test drives scope traces,it has built in component test and repair data.
            however what i would say is get the training voucher and USE it to get the full idea of exactly how good and helpful the machine can be for your buisness
            hope this helps

Comment

• David Green
              • Oct 2009

Thanks for all the replies very much appreciated. Joe I didn't think about gaining anything, it was my Snap On dealer who asked if I wanted to trade in the Solus for the Modis?

I appreciate what has been said about having a Solus and a VP against the Modis, but my initial thinking was along the lines of "How many channels" have I got, i.e. 2, against the Modis with 4, but after Pico sending me a package through the post with loads of info and a CD, I have read and seen that Pico do a Mixer which they say will work with "ANY" scope and then the operator can have up to 12 channels ALL at once on screen. I thought this is good because suppose I have a six cylinder vehicle with a misfire? Should I do them one at a time or two at a time, or plug in the Mixer and show all six at once?

My initial idea now is to buy the Mixer and make some money back with my investments, and buy the Pico scope with a large monitor for the workshop

I am still unsure about the brightness of the screen with the VP, it seems that during the day I still feel that the quality of backlight could be better because it is difficult to observe data, which I also found the same problem with the early Modis on demo a few years ago?

Maybe Snap On might look into this area for us?

David

Comment

• leemack
                • Jul 2010

I use a MODIS which is about 12 months old and will say that using it in sunlight isn't easy especially if your looking at the scope screens.

Do like it though and find it fairly simple to use but its a shame you can't have some live data on screen whilst scoping away.

Such things as AFM02 sensor readings through scantool compared to actual reading on scope.

thanks
                lee

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by leemack
                  I use a MODIS which is about 12 months old and will say that using it in sunlight isn't easy especially if your looking at the scope screens.

Do like it though and find it fairly simple to use but its a shame you can't have some live data on screen whilst scoping away.

Such things as AFM02 sensor readings through scantool compared to actual reading on scope.

thanks
                  lee
                  That is one of several reasons i went with a Solus-Pro and a Vantage Pro.

Comment

Working...