Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orevin
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Joe Rappa

Orevin, great pic of a broken filler neck. May I steal that for my EVAP class?

Joe

No problem Joe,

As long as I can use your pdf/pps files to fix cars at work

-Kai-
    -Kai-
    Chicago, IL

Comment

• SnapOnKid
      • Jan 2011

I want to thank both of you!!! The car came back as I knew it would. I will put a full report together with pictures so you can see what the issue is with the pilot were. Unfortunately we didn't replace the part we repaired it but hopefully the picks I got will give you an idea of the issue.

Joe your right coffee cans are not good for Evap repairs. Maybe if your a cowboy you can cook your stew in it but not for these real complicated repairs.

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

I Love my Redline coffecan, with flow meter, it has never steered me wrong. If I had a bottomless wallet, sure I would get the Snappy one.
        S. Breland

Comment

• USpMD
          • Oct 2010

I agree, my redline works very well also, very small and portable, dont need the extra buttons and extra thousand dollars tied up to fix evap leaks
          "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• SnapOnKid
            • Jan 2011

Sorry I did not get more pictures. But at least I have these.

***WARNING DISCLAIMER*** I DO NOT recomend repairing a part like this do to liabilty concerns. Any indivdual doing so, will be doing so at his/her/it's own risk...

Fill neck is plastic with a metal cap that is crimped on with 4 tabs. There are 2 o-rings inside that are supposed to seal the metal to the plastic.
            1 sits inside a grove on the plastic portion of the neck just above were it is crimmped to the plastic, The other o-ring sits inside the metal cap and seals it to the plastic.

This was not easy to find. I had to keep smokeing it over and over untill eventually it stared to smoke up through the filler neck. The OEM gas cap has a lip that hangs over when it seals makeing it difficult to diagnose the actual leak. I Proceded to use a new stant replacement gas cap that does not have the overhanging lip. That is when I realized it was coming from the crimped tab area. I then opened up the neck area, pulled the neck out and started to CSI this thing. I was un-able to get a good picture on my cell phone of the area were liquid apears to have been seeping past the seal. We put it up side down, Sealed with the new stant replacement cap, then poured water in it and it started driping right out around the crimped area. I then proceeded to dissasemble the part to find out why it was leaking.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by SnapOnKid; 07-18-2011, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Working...