Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nova2037
    • Nov 2008

Suggestions

I have been working on a 98 4.3 S10 for days and about to burn it. The problem is it acts like not getting enough fuel on take off. It will smother and belch in the intake. Worse when cold, but runs great wot and idle. I have replace plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel pump, filter and pressure regulator. I can't see anything on scanner, such as tps, coolant temp, or any other sensor problem. Hope this is enough info for a suggestion from someone. Thanks in advance.
  • MasterWrench
    • Oct 2006

Have you set the distributor using the scanner?

Have you checked for an intake leak?
    MasterWrench

Comment

• nova2037
      • Nov 2008

Yes I checked timing, it's -3 degrees. I replace upper intake gaskets when I replaced regulator.

Comment

• MasterWrench
        • Oct 2006

What are the oxygen sensors reading?
        MasterWrench

Comment

• GM guy
          • Dec 2006

4.3l

What is fuel pressure? Have you tried posting question on askateck.com ?

Comment

• nova2037
            • Nov 2008

O2 sensor readings appear normal. Fuel pressure is 55 at idle and 60 when engine is brake torqued to 1500 to 2000 rpm where the smothering shows up. I thought askatech was a subscription service.

Comment

• GM guy
              • Dec 2006

You get free askateck if your a current bundle purchaser or have shopkey or ondemand.

Comment

• GM guy
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by nova2037
                O2 sensor readings appear normal. Fuel pressure is 55 at idle and 60 when engine is brake torqued to 1500 to 2000 rpm where the smothering shows up.
                55 psi is cutting it close. poppets need 55-61 psi to open.

Comment

• Wheel
                  • Jul 2007

I have been working on a 98 4.3 S10 for days and about to burn it. The problem is it acts like not getting enough fuel on take off. It will smother and belch in the intake. Worse when cold, but runs great wot and idle. I have replace plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel pump, filter and pressure regulator. I can't see anything on scanner, such as tps, coolant temp, or any other sensor problem. Hope this is enough info for a suggestion from someone. Thanks in advance.
                  The first suggestion I would make would be to post some of that scan data, particularly in graph form if possible. We need to see long and short fuel trims, o2, load pids, maf and/or map, tps and/or throttle % for starters.
                  What may appear normal to you may really stand out to some of the veterans on this site. I like to look at data KOEO, idle, part throttle, cruise, full throttle, and under any circumstance the problem occurs, and compare these not only to each other, but to past experience.
                  This will help divide and conquer your problem, giving you a clue where to look.
                  You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
                    • Jul 2007

O2 sensor readings appear normal. Fuel pressure is 55 at idle and 60 when engine is brake torqued to 1500 to 2000 rpm where the smothering shows up. I thought askatech was a subscription service.
                    About the the o2 - please define normal for us in this case.

fuel pump:
                    55 psi is not enough. 54 psi is a no start on a cold day - usually.
                    Your pump may be new, but remember - new stands for Never Ever Worked. Much if not all of your problem I would say lies here with not enough pressure.
                    Find out why the low pressure. Is the pump getting enough voltage and amperage - how was the connector at the tank?( common issue ) compare voltage (+ and -) at the pump connector ( measure it loaded with something such as a headlight at least ) with battery voltage. If the difference is any more than about .3 to .5 volts, then I think you could have a problem.
                    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• nova2037
                      • Nov 2008

I thank you all for the reply's. I believe the fuel pump is most likely problem as customer supplied it, of unknown origin. I will replace it with a good brand.

Comment

Working...