X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Because
    • Jul 2010

Like or Dislike Solus Ultra?

Hi All:

I am at a crossroads regarding my tool investment dollars. My Modis will need updated soon. I can either update it or apply the money towards a new fully up-to-date Solus Ultra. I originally bought the Modis because of the larger screen. I have a Vantage Pro, so I can live without the scope features in a scanner. I would definitely lose the larger size in favor of a smaller scanner.

I'm wondering what the real world has to say about the Ultra? Is it junk or is it better than the Solus Pro / Modis scanning platform. Any issues with its operation? Any first generation bugs that are unacceptable and that Snap-On has not addressed or has ignored?

Thanks for any insight.
  • CrazyFreak
    • Sep 2011

I have the Solus Ultra, I love it. There are no personality key so you dont need to figure which one you need, fast boot up, light weight, much better screen than the modis. As for bugs there is only one I know of, the home. Button is non-functional. Other than that I haven't found any other. I just wish it have the option to view/delete the saved picture/data easier.

As for the scanner function, they are all the same.

Comment

• Chevytruckman1234
      • Mar 2008

I too just got one we also have a verus with keys. The quickness of the ultra is the reason I grab it most now.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

I've been using mine for about 2 weeks now. I'm still undecided if I like using the touch screen or buttons better for navigation. It's probably going to be the buttons....

I like that it's fast and keyless.
        I like the graphs on a Verus better, but on the Solus Ultra I really like that you can easily turn all the PIDS into graph form, and then scroll through them.
        On a Verus/Verdict you have to turn every PID into a graph individually, then you can scroll through them. Because I am ALWAYS graphing data, this is a time saver for me.

That's my 2 cents.

Joe
        Last edited by Joe Rappa; 12-17-2011, 07:59 PM.
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

Bob

I have a Ultra, Modis and Verus, for speed nothing can beat the Ultra. The no keys is great, the Home button will be operational very soon and it is the most stable of all the platforms. Being you have the V-pro you still have the CTM and scope so your are not losing much on that end. It is light weight and the screen is very good. However I think I am with Joe on the navigation, I like the buttons over the touch screen.

Steve

Comment

• Bob's Garage
            • Nov 2007

Solus Ultra

I was impressed with the Ultra right away. Fast. It was amazing to be up and running in less than 15 seconds from off. I have watched it evolve, all the things I reported are fixed in newer versions, so the team is always updating and making Ultra better and better, the home button should be ready in the next release.

It has a different operating system than Windows so it is less glitchy than the Windows CE platforms, which are not really bad either.

If there is a problem such as a lock up or you realized you ID'd the vehicle wrong, no problem, you can restart it and be back up and running in 15-20 seconds.

ID'ing vehicles is fast also, so you can go from off to a code check or data in 30 seconds.

I like it and it is the "first grab" in my shop for a quick look.

You can get one for a great deal if you make the right deals with trade-ins etc...

Good Luck, Bob

Comment

• Because
              • Jul 2010

Thanks to all for the insight. I appreciate the positive, upbeat comments. I am interested in the Ultra. During preliminary discussions about this tool, my dealer told me he could arrange to remove my European SW from my Modis and transfer it to the new Ultra. He had done it in the past for a nominal fee from Snap-On. Cool! Based on that service and the comments posted here, I placed the purchase order. When my dealer called Snap-On to arrange the Euro transfer, they said NO. No way, no how.

Huge bummer. That was the deal breaker. I won't be buying this tool.

Comment

• 4seasons69
                • Dec 2011

I haven't had mine very long but like it a lot. try and get your rep to cut you a deal and throw the euro in the deal for free

Comment

• eric-h
                  • Jan 2009

love it, its much faster then the SOLUS pro

Comment

• Skip
                    Super Moderator
                    • Apr 2008

I can see it not being transferable. The Ultra doesn't even run on windows.

Comment

Working...