X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

No Data Communication with Air Bag Module

Working on a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 VIN 1GCEK19T8YE110781

In for work on exhaust manifolds, transmission gear shift indicator not showing correct gear. replaced MLPS at the transmission and repaired one broken circuit wire to SW"B". Then noted Air Bag Light on, (I don't remember it being on prior to scanning it for the transmission problem). Scanned the SIR and retrieved code B0090 and then several U codes for lost com with EBCM and IPC and U1000. Could not read data from the IPC, BCM or SIR computers but could read codes from each of these modules? Seems as if the scanner is causing network errors. Tried a Maxisys and was able to see data and codes from all computers and only the B0090 was current for a defective passenger deactivation switch. Tried Id'ing as a 2002 with the Verus and was able to communicate with the air bag controller, IPC and BCM both codes and data and just the P0090 code in the SIR computer. Verus Edge running 17.4. This glitch cost me some time. was starting to explore network wiring. Note that there are no aftermarket accessories such as car starter or aftermarket radio in this vehicle.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

I think as you update the software to get coverage for newer vehicles , sometimes the coverage for the older vehicles, after being rehashed ,shuffled around and written over twice a year for 16 years plus time gets compromised

Comment

• phill57
      • Oct 2007

Wrong Year

Well as usual my problem was self inflicted. The scanner said the vehicle did not support auto id, (it does really), so I manually entered the VIN characters and id'd the vehicle as a 2003 when in fact it is only a 2000. I guess that is why it worked when I tried 2002. In my defense though the Maxisys was able to auto id the vehicle correctly and I didn't notice it was actually a 2000 with that scanner. Good news is there is nothing wrong with my scanner.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by phill57
        Well as usual my problem was self inflicted. The scanner said the vehicle did not support auto id, (it does really), so I manually entered the VIN characters and id'd the vehicle as a 2003 when in fact it is only a 2000. I guess that is why it worked when I tried 2002. In my defense though the Maxisys was able to auto id the vehicle correctly and I didn't notice it was actually a 2000 with that scanner. Good news is there is nothing wrong with my scanner.
        Ah different Network protocols... 99-02 use a 512Kb PCM while the 03-07 classic use a 1 MB PCM.

Had an 01 1500 come in with some lights one the dash. They said the changed the engine to 6.0. at the time I didn't think about it. When I went to ID it, I used the 01 vin to pull the codes. No dice.

I didn't think any thing of it at first but then I noticed the seat pattern and the cluster where different. So ID it as an 03 truck. bingo. I'm in.

Started digging around and found out they swapped the entire frame with drive train from an 03 truck into the 01. They also swapped the entire interior.

I am not sure why it was done by the previous owner. But I told the new owner With out any paper work or documentation I can only assume the worst and I don't want any part of it.

Comment

• GypsyR
          • Jul 2017

I would love to make fun of you for complaining about how it won't communicate when the whole time is was because you entered the wrong year. But I can't. Because....well....

Comment

• phill57
            • Oct 2007

I deserve it.

Go ahead make fun, not like its my first mistake nor likely my last.

Comment

Working...