X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ihaveascanner
    • May 2016

EEMS300 Will Not Turn On

Hey Guys,

I have a EEMS300 that will not turn on. When I press the power button, it beeps three times and nothing else happens. I have the power LED light and it will not turn on past those beeps.

Any help?

Thanks!
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

There are a few youtube videos about repairing the power connections on those. Do a search there and you may find an answer.
    Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• Ihaveascanner
      • May 2016

Any help?

I cannot find any videos.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

I think member Chaskiss could be considered the resident Modis expert. I wouldn't have any reservations about pulling the battery ,the cards and taking it apart, inspecting ,connections, solder joints ,fan ,and cleaning everything out.
        Just got tired of my MT2500 randomly shutting off , so took it all apart. Cleaned connections for cable and cartridges. So far so good staying on and can read the F'ed up LCD screen better too.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Ihaveascanner
          • May 2016

Okay.

I sent him a PM. Maybe he will respond.

Comment

• chaskuss
            • Dec 2009

Hi guys,
            I responded via PM first. Haven't checked the forum in a couple of weeks. Having now read this thread, I realize that you have the Modis Elite. Do you have the early or late style Modis Elite?

Below is the contents of the PM thread.

Originally posted by Ihaveascanner
            Hey man,

I was searching around a ton on YouTube for some Modis help.

A member on here recommended you that you were the expert. I have a modis that will not turn on, it just beeps three times when the power button is pressed. It does not turn on after that.

I already cleaned all the cards and cables but no help.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
            Those beeps are part of what is called a POST [power on, self test] code. All PC type computers have that feature as part of the BIOS [basic input, output system] It's a self test that the machine does before Windows starts. I need more info regarding your machine. What version of the Modis do you have? There are two types, the Modis Elite and the Modis Ultra. The Elite is the earlier model and it is further divided into early and late models. Early is 2005 and earlier and the late is 2006 & newer. This refers to the production date of the machine. FYI, all Modis' run on a version of Microsoft Windows. Do you know which Windows version your machine uses? I need to know this info so that I can determine what that 3 beep fault code means.

Charlie

PS POST codes vary by BIOS manufacturer. To learn more, see

Computer beep codes and other POST issues. Page includes AMI, Award, Dell, IBM, and Phoenix BIOS beep code help and information.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by chaskuss
              FYI, all Modis' run on a version of Microsoft Windows

Charlie
              Not exactly.

The MODIS Ultra uses a SMX operating system.

Comment

• Ihaveascanner
                • May 2016

Hi guys,
                I responded via PM first. Haven't checked the forum in a couple of weeks. Having now read this thread, I realize that you have the Modis Elite. Do you have the early or late style Modis Elite?

Below is the contents of the PM thread.

Those beeps are part of what is called a POST [power on, self test] code. All PC type computers have that feature as part of the BIOS [basic input, output system] It's a self test that the machine does before Windows starts. I need more info regarding your machine. What version of the Modis do you have? There are two types, the Modis Elite and the Modis Ultra. The Elite is the earlier model and it is further divided into early and late models. Early is 2005 and earlier and the late is 2006 & newer. This refers to the production date of the machine. FYI, all Modis' run on a version of Microsoft Windows. Do you know which Windows version your machine uses? I need to know this info so that I can determine what that 3 beep fault code means.

Charlie

PS POST codes vary by BIOS manufacturer. To learn more, see

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Hi,

I was cleaning up the garage and found that I still have this scanner. So I took some pictures of it and here is the some information from the Motis. There is a number on the outside it says EEMS300F12 Modis Elite. LSPI + SCPI. There’s a sticker on the back that has a copyright logo with the year 2004 on it. I am not sure if any of this is helpful but make a movie we can see what’s up with the scanner I can get it working again.

Comment

• chaskuss
                  • Dec 2009

Glad you found your Modis. Your search technique sucks! I very quickly found a number of videos on how to repair a Modis. See

Please take some photos of Your Modis and post them with your reply, so I know what model we are dealing with. Earlier in this thread, another lister attached several photos of his MT2500. Just do the same.

Charlie

Comment

• Ihaveascanner
                    • May 2016

Glad you found your Modis. Your search technique sucks! I very quickly found a number of videos on how to repair a Modis. See

Please take some photos of Your Modis and post them with your reply, so I know what model we are dealing with. Earlier in this thread, another lister attached several photos of his MT2500. Just do the same.

Charlie

I would rather ask someone like you as another member said you were the Modis expert before I start opening it and mess something up. Here are the photos. I will open it up and try cleaning it out. Based on the beeps it makes, it could be a MB or keyboard failure. Now if it is a MB failure, I am sure it has to be a part and not the whole MB.

Comment

• chaskuss
                      • Dec 2009

Now we are getting somewhere

Great! You have the later [2006 & later] Modis Elite. What, if anything, happens when you press the power button? Have you tried charging the battery? Have you tried powering it up with the battery charger plugged into the Modis?

Comment

• Ihaveascanner
                        • May 2016

Great! You have the later [2006 & later] Modis Elite. What, if anything, happens when you press the power button? Have you tried charging the battery? Have you tried powering it up with the battery charger plugged into the Modis?

When I try powering it up, all it does is three beeps. Nothing else happens. I tried leaving the battery and charger plugged in and power it up, still does the same thing. When I unplug the charger from the port and try powering it off the OBD2 port, same beeps.

Comment

• chaskuss
                          • Dec 2009

Three beeps could also mean a memory issue, if it has an Award brand BIOS. Your Modis could also be working but have a bad screen. Another member found that the inverter on the main board was bad. He managed to fix it. See

Sometimes the back light in the screen goes bad. There is a tiny fluorescent bulb in the screen that can fail, just like on a laptop computer. When this happens you can tell by shining a strong flashlight onto the screen at an angle. That will allow you to see what is on the screen, faintly. Replacement screens are available from China, for between $100 to $200. I know that another member posted that info here a few years ago.

Another member had your same issue, but never posted back to say what happened.

Comment

Working...