• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binsulayiem
    • Jan 2015

HELP (sos) solus sd corruption

Hello everyone ,
    I'M new in here , Mohammed from Oman
    I got a solus scanner used from eBay , it was very good until I connected it to my pc by shopstream then an error showed in the screen . I guess a virus infected the sd card and deleted the softwares ,
    What is my options to retrieve the software ?
    I checked the sd card and was emty exept 1 file user data !
    How can I fix this problem?
  • binsulayiem
    • Jan 2015

I need a solution please

Comment

• chaskuss
      • Dec 2009

Questions

Originally posted by binsulayiem
      Hello everyone ,
      I got a solus scanner used from eBay , it was very good until I connected it to my pc by shopstream then an error showed in the screen . I guess a virus infected the sd card and deleted the softwares ,
      I checked the sd card and was empty, except 1 file user data !
      Mohammed,
      How did you connect your Solus Ultra to your PC? Or did you simply insert the MicroSD card into a card reader on your PC? I don't own a Solus Ultra, however most Snap On diagnostic tools have a separate partition [usually a hidden partition] that contains an image file to restore the original software. This is similar to the way that computer PC manufacturers store an image file of all the operating system & all original software, as an image file, onto a hidden partition.
      When you checked to see what files were still on the microSD card, did you have your computer's folder attributes set to show hidden files, folders and partitions?
      What was the error message that you got?
      Charlie

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Hello everyone ,
        I checked the sd card and was emty exept 1 file user data !
        Hi Muhammed , no matter what Solus platform and software version it has, I would think you first need to try and get any suspect virus, malware, or program removed from that PC, CF card, and Solus. Keep PC antivirus protection current, and make it a habit to update it first thing before you go on, and do regular virus scans , don't click on non trusted sites with freebie downloads.
        If you can't get Solus to boot far enough to get into Utilities to select Recovery, I would think you would have to call Tech support for guidance, and if you are able to recover anything from a hidden partition, it would be the original software version that came with the card or with the Solus when it was new.
        This is exactly what I feared and one reason, I didn't update and got rid of my original Solus I bought used , because of the inability to create a spare backup CF card! I was able to upgrade card size and keep original card as spare for another make of scanner with no problem.
        Last edited by Witsend; 01-10-2015, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

I doubt the card was erased. It may be corrupted if it won't boot though. There is a way to reload the software on it but I forget the exact sequence of button pushing to make it happen. Call Tech Support and they can walk you through it. If not, you are going to have to get a replacement SD card. That can happen one of 2 ways.
          Provide Tech Support with proof of your current update and they can send a new card.
          Buy a new software update.

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

• binsulayiem
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by chaskusit by
            Mohammed,
            How did you connecsearched Solus Ultra to your PC? Or did you simply insert the MicroSD card into a card reader on your PC? I don't own a Solus Ultra, however most Snap On diagnostic tools have a separate partition [usually a hidden partition] that contains an image file to restore the original software. This is similar to the way that computer PC manufacturers store an image file of all the operating system & all original software, as an image file, onto a hidden partition.
            When you checked to see what files were still on the microSD card, did you have your computer's folder attributes set to show hidden files, folders and partitions?
            What was the error message that you got?
            Charlie
            Thanks charlie ..
            I did connect It by shopstream program , i checked and searched for hidden files , unfortunately there is not except 2 files (userdata and scanner ) thise are empty files
            I think the virus erased everything

Comment

• binsulayiem
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Witsend
              Hi Muhammed , no matter what Solus platform and software version it has, I would think you first need to try and get any suspect virus, malware, or program removed from that PC, CF card, and Solus. Keep PC antivirus protection current, and make it a habit to update it first thing before you go on, and do regular virus scans , don't click on non trusted sites with freebie downloads.
              If you can't get Solus to boot far enough to get into Utilities to select Recovery, I would think you would have to call Tech support for guidance, and if you are able to recover anything from a hidden partition, it would be the original software version that came with the card or with the Solus when it was new.
              This is exactly what I feared and one reason, I didn't update and got rid of my original Solus I bought used , because of the inability to create a spare backup CF card! I was able to upgrade card size and keep original card as spare for another make of scanner with no problem.
              Thank you for your help brother..
              Iconnected the sd to a fresh windows , Antivirus updated and checked for viruses but not infected but still I cant recover the software , I did format the sd by the tool itself when it was not accessible ! May be this what deleted the softwares
              I can access to utilities and use the recovery option but without success!
              The program can't boot to the main interface !

Comment

• binsulayiem
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                I doubt the card waagain sed. It may be corrupted if it won't boot though. There is a way to reload the software on it but I forget the exact sequence of button pushing to make it happen. Call Tech Support and they can walk you through it. If not, you are going to have to get a replacement SD card. That can happen one of 2 ways.
                Provide Tech Support with proof of your current update and they can send a new card.
                Buy a new software update.

Joe
                This is what I think
                please help me find a way to reload it again .
                Replacement sd how much would be ?

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

I did format the sd by the tool itself when it was not accessible ! May be this what deleted the softwares
                  I believe if you select Format , you formatted the card and erased it's contents , even though they may have already been corrupted.
                  You could try recovery software to restore the card's contents, if not enough data recovered to work , it might be enough information restored to identify the card contents for tech support to decide whether or not to send you a replacement card. But before you do anything , see what information you can view in Utilities about the Tool or card properties, version level , serial #s, etc and write it all down or take photos of the screen My original Solus had 2 card slots. Some units might have a second card slot , one for software and another for saved files. Maybe you could try recovery software. I was able to recover pictures using Recuva Recovery software.

Recover and un-delete files with Recuva, the award-winning file recovery tool by the makers of CCleaner. Download the latest version today.
                  Last edited by Witsend; 01-12-2015, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• binsulayiem
                    • Jan 2015

I believe if you select Format , you formatted the card and erased it's contents , even though they may have already been corrupted.
                    You could try recovery software to restore the card's contents, if not enough data recovered to work , it might be enough information restored to identify the card contents for tech support to decide whether or not to send you a replacement card. But before you do anything , see what information you can view in Utilities about the Tool or card properties, version level , serial #s, etc and write it all down or take photos of the screen My original Solus had 2 card slots. Some units might have a second card slot , one for software and another for saved files. Maybe you could try recovery software. I was able to recover pictures using Recuva Recovery software.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva
                    Yes I tried recuva software , It recovered to many files including intilising license file but that was poor recovering especially for the license file , most of files was excellent recovered !
                    But the tool still can't boot from the card .
                    my tool doesn't have 2 slots .only 1

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

I would try contacting tech support and see what can be done . here is a link to some contacts , hope you can get it working.

Comment

• Skip
                        Super Moderator
                        • Apr 2008

If you formatted the sd card, the program is gone.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Format Card Warning

If you formatted the sd card, the program is gone.
                          Doesn't the Format card option selection in Utilities have any sort of explicit warning to user like "Are you sure? all data will be lost! with a yes or no before proceeding?

Is it even remotely possible for a second hand owner of a used Solus Ultra in the mid eastern country without jumping through a chain of endless hoops with a lone rep in the region ,to ship the suspect card by DSL with the Unit's model and serial number to Snap On Skunk Works , Area 51 street etc, etc ..and just get a working replacement SD card at the device's original software level at minimal cost and hassle without further pissing folk off , reading this.
                          Again why the MT2500 with interchangeable cartridges and or a scanner make that allows you to make a back up SD card makes sense to me.

Comment

• chaskuss
                            • Dec 2009

Doesn't the Format card option selection in Utilities have any sort of explicit warning to user like "Are you sure? all data will be lost! with a yes or no before proceeding?

Is it even remotely possible for a second hand owner of a used Solus Ultra in the mid eastern country without jumping through a chain of endless hoops with a lone rep in the region ,to ship the suspect card by DSL with the Unit's model and serial number to Snap On Skunk Works , Area 51 street etc, etc ..and just get a working replacement SD card at the device's original software level at minimal cost and hassle without further pissing folk off , reading this.
                            Again why the MT2500 with interchangeable cartridges and or a scanner make that allows you to make a back up SD card makes sense to me.
                            He can buy a brand new 512 Mb CompactFlash card with 14.4 software bundle on it, direct from Snap On, if the worst comes to the worst. Unfortunately, that won't be at "minimal cost". Then he can put the old CF card in the top CF slot and use it for storing data.
                            I'm wondering if he installed his software CF card in the top slot, instead of in the left side slot. If he did that, the Modis may well have erased all the software data files.
                            Charlie

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

Hi Chaskuss ,I would think with trouble shooter and all 14.4 has got to take up more room than only 512mb . My DS708 without any troubleshooter didn't have much room left on it's 4GB card before I upgraded to a 16GB 30mb per sec card and kept the 4GB one as a back up ,then again upgraded to a 16GB 40 mb per second card and kept the older 16 GB 30mb per sec card for back up. In all fairness ,Maybe the DS's 4 GBs of data really is just 256 MB of useful material , but large size because redundant in multiple languages and markets, but jammed on the same card? LOL
                              Mohammed says it's an SD card and device has just one slot, so I don't believe he has the original Solus that had 2 CF slots and used a physically larger card than the later style SD card.
                              Mohammed is posting in The Solus Ultra Forum but he did not make it clear what Solus platform he actually has and what software level card he had in it that got corrupted, before being formatted , then recovered partially, but still unusable to use as is.
                              Can't see why , even with a 2nd hand Snap On scanner you would have to be forced to update to 14.4 , or waste the time of a reluctant rep on a truck 300 miles away on the other side of a desert , or waste a service support's time on a phone. Just post a access to a PDF with instructions for a DIY device recovery and if unsuccessful Just ship any corrupted software card with a specific address with $50 for a brand new class 10 replacement card with reloaded software original for your serial number global shipping to any place in the world and Snap On should make good on the original software the tool originally came with in an expedient way. Who the hell wants to pay a grand for a new update to find out they still need to send a device out for repairs ROFLMAO .I would have been Livid if I updated my old Solus and my device still was glitchy or froze graphing 4 pids. It's worth a $50 gamble to try a fresh new card with original software to see how it goes with $50 discount offer for latest update if all goes well .
                              Last edited by Witsend; 01-13-2015, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Working...