X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

12.4.1 Bug (VW Engine data missing)

2005 VW Jetta VIN 3VWSF71K95M614160.

Went to Engine management screen only to find the DATA selection MISSING!!! Thanks for giving us all the other stuff, but what about the MAIN thing? I can only hope this is a bug, and not another "deletion" of features.
    Attached Files
    S. Breland
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sbreland73
    2005 VW Jetta VIN 3VWSF71K95M614160.

Went to Engine management screen only to find the DATA selection MISSING!!! Thanks for giving us all the other stuff, but what about the MAIN thing? I can only hope this is a bug, and not another "deletion" of features.
    Problems just like this is why I would like to see past versions of the software be able to co - exist on the same scan tool. Have a problem like this? no problem - just switch to last year's software! I think this would be do -able and wouldn't be that hard.
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• sbreland73
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Wheel
      Problems just like this is why I would like to see past versions of the software be able to co - exist on the same scan tool. Have a problem like this? no problem - just switch to last year's software! I think this would be do -able and wouldn't be that hard.
      Wheeler, I have been doing a work a round to that since day 1. I have an external harddrive that I keep all my C: drive images on. I can go to any version back to 8.4 when I bought my Gen 1. My main reason was to see "If it was in there before........." Acronis TIH has been a real big help, as I can go from one image to another in about 10-15 minutes.
      S. Breland

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

Wheeler, I have been doing a work a round to that since day 1. I have an external harddrive that I keep all my C: drive images on. I can go to any version back to 8.4 when I bought my Gen 1. My main reason was to see "If it was in there before........." Acronis TIH has been a real big help, as I can go from one image to another in about 10-15 minutes.
        That is a good idea, and checking to see what was is a really good idea.

Don't you have to change the boot drive to use that - and if so, how did you get around the stupid bios password? It would be nice to be able to use another drive to boot from to fix bootup and other problems without having to either disassemble the Verus or re-image and have to reload everything else.
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• sbreland73
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Wheel
          That is a good idea, and checking to see what was is a really good idea.

Don't you have to change the boot drive to use that - and if so, how did you get around the stupid bios password? It would be nice to be able to use another drive to boot from to fix bootup and other problems without having to either disassemble the Verus or re-image and have to reload everything else.
          On the Gen 1 Verus at first I had Acronis installed, so it would reboot after an image backup or restore task had been issued. After the warranty was up and I installed an Intel SSD, I used boot manager from Acronis to have the F11 option at start up (this of course wipes out the Paragon system restore feature Snappy put in). This would let me boot into Acronis, and perform backup or restore operations from there. As I have stated in another thread, the Verus Pro allows for booting from various sources, so this operation is easier now.
          Last edited by sbreland73; 10-15-2015, 09:08 PM.
          S. Breland

Comment

• protraxrptr17
            • Aug 2010

Happened to me too. Couldnt believe there was no data list. 05 Jetta 2.5
            I sent the customer to the dealer. Pretty sure it was a transmission problem that I didnt want to mess with anyway.

Comment

• Jay G.
              Administrator
              • Dec 2006

It would be helpful if you could provide the engine code for this vehicle and the ECU ID #.

Comment

• sbreland73
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Jay G.
                It would be helpful if you could provide the engine code for this vehicle and the ECU ID #.
                OK Jay, will do. The transmission is out at the moment, but as soon as it gets stuffed back in, I'll get that for you. Just so I don't have any confusion, remind me where I might retrieve the engine code again?

Thanks,
                Stacey
                S. Breland

Comment

• Orevin
                  • Aug 2010

... Just so I don't have any confusion, remind me where I might retrieve the engine code again?
                  On older VW, it's usually on a sticker on the timing belt cover:

V6 or VR6 engine might have the sticker on the plastic elbow on the throttle body.

Newer vehicles will have the code stamped on an "ear" on the cylinder head:

Pretty much all of them have it on the data sticker somewhere in the trunk:

datasticker.gif
                  -Kai-
                  Chicago, IL

Comment

• sbreland73
                    • Jan 2009

Thanks Kai, I appreciate how you go above and beyond!
                    S. Breland

Comment

• TurboJim
                      • Jan 2007

I wound up buying a VCDS because the VW software has gotten so horrible. Data seems to be spotty. I had an 09 Q5, no data, no functional tests. I guess I could have tried expert mode, but why should I have to. Few others in the recent past have had similar issue. The guys at Ross Tech appreciate the business SO send their way :-)
                      Jim Testa
                      Senior Technician
                      JD Automotive & Truck Inc
                      Dover, NJ

Comment

• phill57
                        • Oct 2007

Engine Data missing on VW

This missing engine data selection has been that way since 11.4. The answer I got from Tech support back then was to use expert mode, (which I am not). The data pids are available in Expert mode but you must request memory block addresses and there are only going to be 4 displayed at a time. Using Expert mode does give you quite a bit more capabilities but there is no guidance and no description of what the pid is you are viewing. I am not sure if the Troubleshooter works in Expert mode either since I haven't tried since updating to 12.4.

It could certainly be better though.

Comment

• Wheel
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by phill57
                          This missing engine data selection has been that way since 11.4. The answer I got from Tech support back then was to use expert mode, (which I am not). The data pids are available in Expert mode but you must request memory block addresses and there are only going to be 4 displayed at a time. Using Expert mode does give you quite a bit more capabilities but there is no guidance and no description of what the pid is you are viewing. I am not sure if the Troubleshooter works in Expert mode either since I haven't tried since updating to 12.4.

The main point is that a helpful feature many have come to like that was once there has been taken away ... again. Is this a trend? If so, Snap On
                          is in trouble. Customer confidence is at stake here.

Comment

• sbreland73
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by phill57
                            T I am not sure if the Troubleshooter works in Expert mode either since I haven't tried since updating to 12.4.

Hey Phill, no such Troubleshooter for Euro.
                            S. Breland

Comment

Working...