Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Eddie
    My vote is in and as I said, I vote for a new cable - no keys. If possible it would be great! PLEASE keep adding your input! Sometimes us indy's don't know what we are missing until a dealer tech shows us his toys!

Steve

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

I bet the Smart Key is patented. If Snap-on wants to use it, they would have to buy the rights to it...if OTC was willing to part with it. If OTC is having trouble with the Smart Keys, then SO would only be buying the idea, and would still have to develop it too.
      This is only speculation on my part.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
        Eddie
        My vote is in and as I said, I vote for a new cable - no keys. If possible it would be great! PLEASE keep adding your input! Sometimes us indy's don't know what we are missing until a dealer tech shows us his toys!

Steve
        YES. A new "intelligent connection" that recognizes the communication protocol of the vehicle you're hooked into would be nice, but.... NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF ACCURACY & RELIABILITY.
        With a machine that has the ability to recognize the comm-protocol comes an easier ability to communicate with things such as the older GM ABS units that currently require a personality key change. The newer stuff (probably CAN & newer) don't seem to need it.
        It would probably solve the PITA of Chrysler automatic identification or the machine telling us to use the K-25 key and on the next screen telling us to use the K-13 key.
        With the newer stuff all communicating on the same bus, I don't understand why ANY modules are not recognized, and thus access to ALL modules. Sometimes a code or failure in another module puts the one we're working on into an FMEM mode, but we're not aware of it because our machine doesn't tell us that the module with the failure even exists.
        That then falls under my 3rd criteria, COMPLETE.

RELIABLE
        ACCURATE
        COMPLETE

The engineering dept at SO needs to know what the advertising dept has promised and then the manufacturing dept needs to produce and deliver what was originally promised. We've already paid for it.
        Yes Eddie, the technology is there, everywhere you look, TV's, radios, computers, even refrigerators can be programmed to function according to programming
        Yes Steve, us indy's are RELYING ON OUR TOOL SUPPLIERS to PROPERLY keep us abreast of what's out there, for the very reason that dealer techs are (or should be) ahead of the rest of us, at least on their carlines.

Comment

• eddiesverus
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
          I bet the Smart Key is patented. If Snap-on wants to use it, they would have to buy the rights to it...if OTC was willing to part with it. If OTC is having trouble with the Smart Keys, then SO would only be buying the idea, and would still have to develop it too.
          This is only speculation on my part.

Joe
          So you your trying to say that OTC has smarter technicians designing these tools and that S/O doesn't? I always thought that Snap On was on top? Well if Snap On can't come up with a better cable and not need to buy the patent as you think, then I guess I will have to just stick with OTC. I don't have anything against SnapOn or OTC, I proudly own Both versions, and I Use my Verus for deeper diagnostics testing, and when I need to quickly Identify DTC's on a vehicles I wiil use My Mac Mentor(OTC) and get a get a quick report of all on each system DTC's. I also use My OTC to quickly check all OBD2 monitor status and DTC's for I/M inspections. Both these tools are good and valuable to me and I use them a lot, If one tools gives me something I don't agree or makes sense to me I'll pull out the other one to compare, you'll be surprised to find many pids read incorrectly or are missing., My point is Why do I need to use two different tools when one should be able to do it all? Like I said earlier in this forum, I understand that no one is perfect but if your charging more for your product people expect to get better features not less and Adding a Smarter cable is nothing to ask if the competitions has it for less? Same is true for our shop customers, If my hr rate is higher than the shop across the street I'd better offer better service to my customer or my customer may go away, you get the point? Sorry if I'm persistent about this, but I really like my SnapOn tool and Improving It is my only goal here so please give me some support. thank you.
          Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• MasterWrench
            • Oct 2006

You're dreaming if you think one aftermarket scanner is going to "do it all". "IF" they do away with the personality keys, I am hoping that there is not a process of "oops" with whatever they replace them with. My MODIS works fine the way it is, hopefully that kind of change wouldn't take or need a couple of updates to get it all working like it does now....
            MasterWrench

Comment

• Steve6911
              • Feb 2007

Eddie, you need to relax a little! Joe said it was only speculation on his part. Joe has also been one of the biggest contributors to this site and is always looking to help make S.O. tools better! NOTHING happens overnight and big corporations will NEVER tell you what they have hiding in the wings. As I stated they may be working on that or something better right now. From what I hear some pretty cool new tests and functions are on the way and that is mostly due to this forum. Also MOST of the people on this site are here because they want to tell Snap-on their wants and needs or need some help with their S.O. tools and I’m sure you have their support.

Steve

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
                Eddie, you need to relax a little! Joe said it was only speculation on his part. Joe has also been one of the biggest contributors to this site and is always looking to help make S.O. tools better! NOTHING happens overnight and big corporations will NEVER tell you what they have hiding in the wings. As I stated they may be working on that or something better right now. From what I hear some pretty cool new tests and functions are on the way and that is mostly due to this forum. Also MOST of the people on this site are here because they want to tell Snap-on their wants and needs or need some help with their S.O. tools and I’m sure you have their support.

Steve

Hi Steve,
                Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Eddie,

From this part of your post:
                "So you your trying to say that OTC has smarter technicians designing these tools and that S/O doesn't? I always thought that Snap On was on top? Well if Snap On can't come up with a better cable and not need to buy the patent as you think, then I guess I will have to just stick with OTC. "
                It sounds as if my answer aggravated you. It was certainly not my intention, and I'm not quite sure how you got all of that out of my post. I was simply proposing a possible answer to your question as to why SO doesn't have a Smart Cable. I stated that it was only a guess.

I don't know you well enough to offer you any advice, so you are welcome to take this with a grain of salt: This Forum is pretty mellow compared to most online forums. There are very few conversations here where people are slamming each other. Nobody is attacking you. You asked a question, some fellow members offered replies and opinions. From your posts it appears you are overreacting to their replies.

I'm glad you started this thread. There has been some pretty cool dialogue as a result.
                Crusty pretty much summed up the way most members feel.
                "YES. A new "intelligent connection" that recognizes the communication protocol of the vehicle you're hooked into would be nice, but.... NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF ACCURACY & RELIABILITY.
                With a machine that has the ability to recognize the comm-protocol comes an easier ability to communicate with things such as the older GM ABS units that currently require a personality key change. The newer stuff (probably CAN & newer) don't seem to need it.
                It would probably solve the PITA of Chrysler automatic identification or the machine telling us to use the K-25 key and on the next screen telling us to use the K-13 key."

To restate it, A smart cable of some sort would be nice, but not if it sacrificed reliability, or development of better software coverage.

To summarize the intention of this post, Thanks for posting. It has resulted in a neat thread. Please don't be so defensive. Forums are for talking.

Joe
                "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                Henry Ford

Comment

• eddiesverus
                  • Dec 2008

Sorry

Sorry if I got defensive that way Joe. It's just that when I start to read negative things about SnapOn or any other tool Company such as OTC I get this way. like I said, I love both these versions of tools and both have many great feartures and not. I just wish I could have all these fetures on both tools or at least just one that offers it all. I know I'm asking for a mirical but miricals do happen and we just have to have faith? Sorry Joe and Steve once again, and Steve thanks again for you support, I see that the Poll is working and I hope I see many more votes for a new cable, but not a smart one but a brilliant cable.

Comment

• fffast
                    • Feb 2008

More Bi-direct., more specifications on board

I agree with proautotech 110% and hope that snap on does too!!
                    Also, if you use or have used the OTC smart cable, you know what a bulky, in-the-way, aggrevating, convenience it is.
                    There is one more thing I feel the need to mention at this time. I think the Modis should at the least, include, firing orders, polarities, tune-up specs, fluid capacities and type/viscosities in the software.

Comment

• eddiesverus
                      • Dec 2008

Final Massage to this topic

This week I had a chance to try the New MacTool Navigator (Pegisys) I liked that OTC always has new Ideas and features and that have been added to this new tool. But I could say that new Ideas come with a price and reliability as others have stated on this forum. I'm not going to talk about it much for many reasons, but I feel its a good tool and has many good new tech features and bugs as well. My point is that SnapOn has also come out with good Ideas and incorporated them into the new Verus which its self has many bugs and issues as well. But you see that's how these new tools get improved. I bought the Verus over the Navigator just because of windows compatibility and freedom of multitasking, though I do consider trading in my Mac Mentor for the Navigator just to have them both. Being able to quickly Identify all DTC's and system statuses is very important to me and not having to fiddle with any keys as well. I hope SnapOn gets this message and starts building a new keyless system cable or whatever, and yes OTC's smart cable looks ugly and bulky but have you seen the Tech2 Candi Module? its worse? but it works and gets the job done and that's what matters not looks? Like I said, I support all Tool company's that give me what I want, and unfortunately I wished I could only stick to one, and I hope that it will be Snap On.

Comment

Working...