Deciphered Mode 6 Data

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dennis W
    • Aug 2007

I will have to include my input for Mode $6 data translations. This would make diagnostics so much simpler many times. So many vehicles have obvious misfires, but no code. So much for OBDII being foolproof!

With Mode $6 translated this misfire can be found quickly. Of course if you have the best memory you may already know the Mode 6 definitions.

Comment

• ker442
      • Sep 2007

I bought the new 10ft lead set, and really like them. So I would have to say that 10ft is a good length.

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Cable lengths

Hi Joshua. With standard plug ends, can we piggy-back another lead to extend the cables or would we lose the shielding? Ya if you put 35 feet of cable on, you'll have some degredation of the signal and the more connections you have are each a potential problem, but sometimes 3 feet is OK but one sensor is way over on the other side of the car or underneath.

Comment

• KarlStolz
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MasterWrench
          LOL...You don't know me very well. I m a neat freak when it comes to my tools and toolbox. Very organized and CLEAN. My leads are coiled and stored so they do not get tangled.

I still have the leads that came with my MODIS but they are now collecting dust.

I also meant ALL of the leads. The inductive pick-up and the cord for the scanner so you can easily stand in front of or beside the vehicle while having the scanner hooked up under the dash to the data link connector. I have two OE cords hooked together to make the length so I can look at data while under the hood without having to worry about unplugging or getting the cord caught in something while the engine is running. The cords for the DIS adapter so you can easily sit in the car and view waveforms while power braking(loading).
          Yeah, same here. My shop is cleaner than my house...well, I do pick up my empty beer cans in the house ....

Comment

• KM@PROAUTOTECH
            • Oct 2007

just same thoughts

Well, always mode $6, and yes I see more definitions with the update, would be nice if they were all correct, and they were all there. What I comment on the most with software mistakes in all scantools, however would be nice to see the same software problem from one update to the next corrected. Last, more bi-directional tests that are available and either not being implemented due to the cost or lack of realizing the importance to techs.

Comment

• EASY JEASY
              • Dec 2007

trouble shooting

a good feature for the after market tech would be injector balance test capability's General motors tech 2 offers the ability to cycle injectors on and off
              this would be a great advantage in trouble shooting partially clogged injectors

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

Hi EJ,
                Thanks for the post. Injector balance(KOER) and injector pulse tests (KOEO) are in there for most OBDII GM vehicles now. It is only present in the later software releases. Make sure you check the Funcional Tests menu on your scanner if you haven't looked in a while. If you know of a specific model that the Tech II does and 7.4 software does not, please post it here, and I bet it can be added.
                Later,
                Joe
                "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                Henry Ford

Comment

• fffast
                  • Feb 2008

I agree, integrate/translate the code definitions.

Comment

• aurora
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by big4x42u
                    Volvo is pretty weak on all scan tools I have used. I think of it more of a challenge when one of these beauties roll in to the shop.The other Diag tech does not like working on anything that is of euro descent,So I have had a huge learning curve over the last 3 years and now enjoy working on them alot. Added coverage would be a godsend....
                    there only 2 scanners that will get you the info you want on Volvo, Autodiagnos and the VADIS, these are factory level snanners, one is a hand held the other is laptop driven.

the Vadis wich is th older vesion wich Volvo no longer uses is a wonderfull tool, you can access everything in the car and has many Bi-directonial control.

The Matco Determinator does ok on the newer Volvos but is very lacking on the older ones, mainly ABS. they are coming out with a new Euro update but dont have much hope for Volvo.

I havent invested in the Modis Euro yet wich I mainly work on, but those Ihave talked to like it.

Comment

• salvaje07
                      • Jan 2008

Except for the KV leads, I hardly use the cables that came with my Modis, and I have a piggyback ground lead that I use with them. You can never have enough leads! Volvo coverage would be nice, don't see a lot of Volvos, but have several regulars with them. Mode 6 data info is getting better, but not there yet. You can get all the free Mode 6 info from GM, Ford,Honda and a few others via the web, but others want you to pay. BUMMER. But were all going to have to learn it just like every other change they have made in this industry. Our next challenge is going to be BUS systems. More bi-directional controls are going to be a must on the scanners. Every time I drag out my Mastertech I will include it my reports to Snap-On.

Comment

• chopperdocz
                        • Apr 2008

Ten footers are perfect for most apps. The set I obtained from aes was great. Also, lose those rotten alligator clips that come with the modis. Stay with the bed of nails type with the angled tip.
                        semper fi....'nuff said

Comment

• mopar
                          • Jan 2008

Yes you can labscope the primary side of the coil now with modis or VP. Use the voltage scale and back probe the coil driver circuit.

Comment

Working...