Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Will Snap-on add Volvo coverage??????

I got back from vacation yesterday and found a package on my tool box, the Euro update for the shops OTC. I had ordered it just before I left. When my boss came in he was grinning from ear to ear and I knew what was next! ?Your big fancy Modis can?t do Volvo can it?! Well now thanks to OTC we can!? I checked the coverage on the enclosed info as I installed the update on the shops scanner and on paper it?s not bad, haven?t had the opportunity to use it yet. Coming soon AE will have Volvo coverage as well as several other tools costing less then the Solus or Modis platforms. I know SO talks to Volvo as several techs from the local dealer come to trainings with ?blue? V-pros that are Volvo O.E. diagnostic tools. It kind of embarrassing not being able to do any more on Volvo then Global OBDII when small $$$ tools like AE will be able to. Is Snap-on planning to include it any time in the near future? Volvo is a regular production car not an exotic, shouldn?t it be there? Sorry to rant guess I can?t stand seeing my boss so happy at my wallets expense.

Steve
  • Christopher
    • May 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
    Coming soon AE will have Volvo coverage as well as several other tools costing less then the Solus or Modis platforms. It kind of embarrassing not being able to do any more on Volvo then Global OBDII when small $$$ tools like AE will be able to.
    Steve

Why not just buy a scan tool that is designed for Volvo.

There are several on the market that deal with Volvo already.

I have one that has Volvo software, that is aftermarket. The only thing I can't do right now is software updates, but that is coming shortly.

Do you really think AE will provide full coverage, it might be better then basic, but we will see.

Comment

• Steve6911
      • Feb 2007

Why should I buy another scanner? I paid big $$$ for the one I already have, The Modis. I feel it is still the best all around tool out there but SO is starting to lose ground to the others, see some of the other threads like the one on Ford Bi-directional controls. As I stated Volvo is a regular production car so why not have it. And yes I do feel in time AE will be very good in Volvo and all other makes it supports.

Steve

Comment

• John
        • Jun 2007

Check out Launch.
        I love Snap On tools !!!!

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

ONCE AGAIN- I don't want to buy another scanner. I am asking SO if they are considering adding Volvo to their coverage. I have used the launch, don't like it, I have access to a Baum, it's ok. Now the shops OTC does Volvo but I would like my Modis to do it. My point was MANY other cheaper scanners are already or soon to be having it, will SO? If not I ready know which tool I will purchase but this will cut down on my Modis updates for a while.

Steve

Comment

• Christopher
            • May 2007

Well last time I talked to SO , I was told NO. Maybe something has changed since then, but haven't heard anythng different yet.

Comment

• DougMontgomery
              • Jul 2007

Redundency is always best. have a backup..and a backup to your backup.

When asked about the Modis, my thoughts are this.

For $7,000+ I can get

Solus
              Picoscope 3423 4-channel
              Legacy Vantage
              Launch
              VAG-COM (ross-tech - VW/Audi)
              AutoEnginuity

And have VERY good coverage
              Last edited by DougMontgomery; 08-02-2007, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• No-Start
                • Oct 2006

Oh gawd, here we go again. I must hear this argument 4 or 5 times a year.

Let's do some math.

Solus = $3000 (guesstimate)
                Pico 3423 = $2200 (www.aeswave.com)
                Launch = $3000 (not the color one)
                Vantage = $500 (used as it's not available new)
                AE ProLine = $1000 (there are more optional add-ons)
                Vag-Com = $350 (probably the most bang for the buck)

Do I need to add it up?

Then you still have to add on a laptop and all it's accessories. I won't buy anything but a dual-core with a large harddrive, so I would guess that is a minimum $1000.

7000 PLUS all right!

No-Start.

Comment

• DougMontgomery
                  • Jul 2007

No-Start,

Didn't mean to get you started...but it is a few thousand more than a Modis...what 10-20% more. However, the Pico complete kit..comes with High-amp and low amp probe, and leads, is a 12 bit vertical resolution scope. The Launch has all the adapters and MORE Euro coverage than the Modis...so you could drop the Launch...keeping just the Solus (same coverage as Modis for scan-tool)and now be pretty close to the price of a Modis.

Yes, I did not add the cost of a laptop...however, you could also use a desktop. I went to Best Buy/Circuit City and Dell's websites. You can get a Core Duo laptop for about $900. You can get a QUAD core desktop for $1000.

PLUS....something Snap-On does not offer (as far as I know)...you can buy a accidental protection policy that will REPLACE you laptop for FREE for up to 4 years if anything should happen...plus they will send you a new battery every year for free. This policy is about $500. Can you get a new Modis for free if you break the screen after year 1?

If a guy is going to spend $7000 or so dollars....he's not going to flinch over another 500-1000. Especially when he's getting multiple tools and better coverage. if the mahority of a shops work is domestic (GM, Ford, Chy)..I'd recommend a Ford IDS ($2500), Gm Tech 2 ($3300) and a used MT2500 (500-1000).

My suggestion is based off doing drivability diag's for over 15 years, teaching for 8 years...having a degree in electronics and not a fan of having all my tools in one piece of equipment. I've been there..done that and have the tee-shirt

Thanks

Comment

• Steve6911
                    • Feb 2007

We're starting to get off track here The question still remains unanswered by anyone from SO! Are they even considering adding Volvo to their platform, only answers have been from techs. Oh and that reminds me I still did not get an answer about the S44 key from another thread. But maybe I should include that in the " what's important to a tech that uses this site" forum. Just to keep on track
                    Steve

Comment

• Joshua Covington
                      • Aug 2006

Let me try to answer this question for you guys...

Q: Is Snap-on planning to include it any time in the near future?
                      A: I do not believe we will be offering VOLVO Scanner coverage anytime in the near future.

Which tools you guys have based on the vehicle ages/makes/models/etc you are seeing in your individual situations will all vary, and some more than others. Our business is simple... We do an amazing amount of research to make sure that the stuff everybody around here works so hard on, is stuff that a majority of technicians and shop owners would find extremely useful in helping them to be more productive/profitable.

We are always researching and re-researching so maybe VOLVO scanner coverage will be available some day, but in the near future, the majority of technicians will be very excited about the other really cool stuff that's on the horizon.

--Josh
                      Snap-on Diagnostics
                      Program Manager

Comment

• Steve6911
                        • Feb 2007

Hi Josh
                        Thanks for the answer, honest and fast answers are key to getting the network going and keeping it strong. Guess I?m in the minority with the need for a Volvo scanner. Really wish I didn?t need it as I HATE Volvo?s!!! My S.O. dealer was in today and I showed him your post, he was a little upset. because now updates 7.4 and 8.2 will not be purchased so I can budget for a new tool.

Steve

Comment

• Christopher
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
                          Hi Josh
                          Really wish I didn?t need it as I HATE Volvo?s!!!
                          Tell you what, you just send those Volvo's to me. Problem solved, I love working on Volvo.

Comment

• MasterWrench
                            • Oct 2006

In the shop I work at we get a couple of those hunks of metal (Volvo)a week and I NEED something to communicate with them a little better than global obdII does.

At the moment I was the unfortunate one to draw the short straw to pull the engine out of an S80-t6 with no data available, not even torque specs. Get to put it all together and back into the car tomorrow....maybe I'll call in sick

....We work on anything from Ferrari to Lambo's to Motor Homes......anything....
                            MasterWrench

Comment

• Steve6911
                              • Feb 2007

Chris,you love Volvo's ??? Guess your into punishment ! What scan tool are you using on them?

Masterwrench, If you need some info email me Steve6911@aol.com
                              I'll get you what I can from Alldata and fax it to you if you want.

Steve

Comment

Working...