Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

What I want -ROUND 2

As per Joe Rappa and Roy (EBI webmaster), let start this discussion up again.
    Post your wants and needs for any Snapon diagnostic platform and lets see if see can get some changes!

Better mode 6, definitions and a better display mean a lot. Better Euro coverage (IE Volvo, Rover etc) Euro Troubleshooter. GM purge and Seal tests. 2007 GM coverage is good but tests like that mean more. 2007 vehicles are mostly still under warranty. Fix the ignition scope movie issues on ShopStream Connect. Theses would be some updates that would be great for me.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve6911; 10-17-2007, 04:49 AM.
  • MasterWrench
    • Oct 2006

I'd say I agree with those. Looking at the old thread I had started those seem to be the most common as far as software. Evap on every OBD II vehicle not just GM though.
    MasterWrench

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Hi Steve and MasterWrench,
      Thanks for kick-starting this thread again. At the risk of beating a dead horse, could you please add why you'd want the purge and seal test? It's not obvious to everyone.

And... I'll add one.

Programming power door lock modules on GM vehicles.
      They are a high failure rate part and have to be reprogrammed after replacement. It's not like a Reflash, and should be able to be accomplished with a non-OEM scanner.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Nick
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Joe Rappa

Programming power door lock modules on GM vehicles.
        They are a high failure rate part and have to be reprogrammed after replacement. It's not like a Reflash, and should be able to be accomplished with a non-OEM scanner.

Joe

Can you give an example of a GM model with the power door lock module you are refering to?

Thx!
        Mechanic-Instructor-Mobile Trouble Shooter

Autotechdiagnostics.com

Comment

• MasterWrench
          • Oct 2006

Purge and seal tests to verify evap operation and repairs. I recently did an evap repair on a vehicle that I could run the evap monitor with my MODIS, but I do not remember what it was at the moment...
          MasterWrench

Comment

• Steve6911
            • Feb 2007

What a Purge and seal test does is it seals the vent solenoid then opens the purge solenoid. You watch the fuel tank pressure sensor voltage change. Then stop the purge and watch the vacuum decay. If the decay is fast you have a leak. In my shop most GM Evap problems have been Bad Fuel tank pressure sensors or bad or loose gas caps. This test finds them fast. Bad FTP sensor mostly have no voltage change, bad or loose gas caps have fast decay. No FTP sensor voltage change or fast decay can be caused by other things but these are the most common ones I have found (with GM).

Steve

Comment

• Joe Rappa
              Snap-on DSD
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Nick
              Can you give an example of a GM model with the power door lock module you are refering to?

Thx!
              Sure, Look up an '03 Silverado. It's actually the passenger power window switch, but it's the door lock module too.
              Joe
              Henry Ford

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911

Better mode 6, definitions
                Steve
                How's this? 1st one is on a 99 LHS, second one is on an '07 F250.
                Version 7.4 Software.
                Joe
                Attached Files
                Henry Ford

Comment

• MasterWrench
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Steve6911
                  What a Purge and seal test does is it seals the vent solenoid then opens the purge solenoid. You watch the fuel tank pressure sensor voltage change. Then stop the purge and watch the vacuum decay. If the decay is fast you have a leak. In my shop most GM Evap problems have been Bad Fuel tank pressure sensors or bad or loose gas caps. This test finds them fast. Bad FTP sensor mostly have no voltage change, bad or loose gas caps have fast decay. No FTP sensor voltage change or fast decay can be caused by other things but these are the most common ones I have found (with GM).

Steve
                  On most you can close the vent and use smoke machine to pressurize tank and vacuum pump to suck it down. All while watching the ftp sensor. Can't close the vent and open purge with scanner at the same time. Some you can one or the other but not both...
                  MasterWrench

Comment

• MasterWrench
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                    How's this? 1st one is on a 99 LHS, second one is on an '07 F250.
                    Version 7.4 Software.
                    Joe
                    Is that only in global obdII or is it also in the "generic functions" selection under each vehicle??

Just got 7.4 today and haven't had much time to play with it yet.
                    MasterWrench

Comment

• Steve6911
                      • Feb 2007

Masterwrench

That is how I was doing it before purchasing a different scan tool. With the purge and seal test it is done in 5 minutes sitting in the car without getting your hands dirty. That time includes PC boot up! As I said you can have other issues and need the smoke machine and yes I have the big $$$$ Snap-on evap smoke machine and love it. Snap-on does not have this "Dual bi-directional" function but other scan tools do.

Steve

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                        Snap-on DSD
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by MasterWrench
                        Is that only in global obdII or is it also in the "generic functions" selection under each vehicle??

Just got 7.4 today and haven't had much time to play with it yet.
                        Hi MW,
                        I believe it is only listed in Global.
                        Joe
                        Last edited by Joe Rappa; 10-18-2007, 06:47 AM. Reason: because I can't spell...
                        Henry Ford

Comment

• DougMontgomery
                          • Jul 2007

How about the Ford bi-directional?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                            Snap-on DSD
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by DougMontgomery
                            How about the Ford bi-directional?
                            Hi Doug,
                            I think you should start a new thread....and details, details, details.
                            List some specific tests, and why you want them.

A new thread will give everyone an opportunity to comment, add stuff, etc. and help keep it organized.

My 2 cents.

Joe
                            Henry Ford

Comment

• DougMontgomery
                              • Jul 2007

Joe,

Unfortunately I don;t own a Modis/Solus...so I can not give specific details. but to the best of my knowledge there are almost no engine bi-directional testing in the SO products.

I will depend on the better users here...most seemed to have additional tools to compare too.

You've said in the past "tell us why you want it"..I say that is pretty petty. Different techs will use different testing for diag/repair. If a test is available from the manufacture..why NOT include it in a scantool...especially one priced > $7000. Why wait for a tech..who will ONLY know a test is missing..when his buddy with AutoEnginuity or a Genysis or IDS shows them how he fixed that issue using this function???

Comment

Working...