2012 is Here what would you like to see from your snap on scan tool???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnapOnKid
    • Jan 2011

We don't all get to work on the same cars, so what has been missing or broken lately???

Be sides the stuff mentioned in my other thread,

I feel the refresh rate on the data streem for the Older toyota's is way to slow.

4 seconds!!!

You can go from 0-40 in that time under normal conditions and miss alot of valuble info...

Comment

• ephratah service center
      • Oct 2007

Stop removing items from componet test. The IAC test has been removed a long time ago from the scan tool. You used to be able to use the scanner to step up the RPM's but it has been removed from the test.
      I just purchased a Ultra and the save data option takes to long to save my old Solus was much faster than this. I dont know how everyone can say this scanner is so much faster than the old solus. It takes all most as long to ID the vehicle as the old solus you still have to select the vehicle make model and year and engine the only thing that is faster is not having to use the keys.
      In the amount of time it takes to save a movie there is information being missed. What is being missed during the movie save could very well be the money shot you are looking to capture.
      Why any one would make a scanner that saves as a bit map is beyond me this option makes the files large what was wrong with JPG like the older Solus had?
      My old Solus I could print directly from the scanner not so with the Ultra another option Snap on decided we did not need.
      So far I dont see any improvements worth the $ over my old beat up Solus.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ephratah service center
        Stop removing items from componet test. The IAC test has been removed a long time ago from the scan tool. You used to be able to use the scanner to step up the RPM's but it has been removed from the test.
        I just purchased a Ultra and the save data option takes to long to save my old Solus was much faster than this. I dont know how everyone can say this scanner is so much faster than the old solus. It takes all most as long to ID the vehicle as the old solus you still have to select the vehicle make model and year and engine the only thing that is faster is not having to use the keys.
        In the amount of time it takes to save a movie there is information being missed. What is being missed during the movie save could very well be the money shot you are looking to capture.
        Why any one would make a scanner that saves as a bit map is beyond me this option makes the files large what was wrong with JPG like the older Solus had?
        My old Solus I could print directly from the scanner not so with the Ultra another option Snap on decided we did not need.
        So far I dont see any improvements worth the $ over my old beat up Solus.
        Which car or car lines are you refering to for the IAC test???

The information about the way a movie is saved is very helpful. If it is not working as efficent as it used to, they need to know. That is why they gave us this forum.

There maybe 1000's of registered users but How many of them actually participate in an active fashion on this forum. I know it's been debated by snap on that very few people complain Vs. the 1000's of registered users and the 1000's of sold units. But some of the users can barely use the scan tool properly let alone the bi-directional testing. How can we expect them to participate if they don't know any better. Some of them don't even know There is a help line to call let alone a Web based forum to participate on.
        The other isssue is that some of them do log on and complain 1 time and if no one waves the magic wand to solve all there problems they never log back in.

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

You know what is absolutely hilarious???

The screen shot bitmaps are larger files than the movies..... 751KB vs 451KB.

And the movies take OVER 90 SECONDS to save to the "external" microSD card..... W.T.F-????

If anyone at SnapOn cares to look back, I told them there was an issue with saving to external CF-cards or USB sticks FOUR YEARS ago-!!
          At least with the Solus-Pro, you can save to internal which takes about 3 seconds, then transfer the files to the CF-card or USB-stick and carry that to your computer for permanent data storage. (seems to me a CF-card or USb-stick is a little lighter to carry than a scanner....LOL)

With the Ultra, you can't select jpg for screen shots and you have to cable connect your machine to your computer.

So, tell me again.....how is it FASTER????

Comment

• Wheel
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
            Which car or car lines are you refering to for the IAC test???

The information about the way a movie is saved is very helpful. If it is not working as efficent as it used to, they need to know. That is why they gave us this forum.

There maybe 1000's of registered users but How many of them actually participate in an active fashion on this forum. I know it's been debated by snap on that very few people complain Vs. the 1000's of registered users and the 1000's of sold units. But some of the users can barely use the scan tool properly let alone the bi-directional testing. How can we expect them to participate if they don't know any better. Some of them don't even know There is a help line to call let alone a Web based forum to participate on.
            The other isssue is that some of them do log on and complain 1 time and if no one waves the magic wand to solve all there problems they never log back in.
            I think you nailed it. I'd also bet that at least 75% of the scanners sold - all platforms included - only see use as a code reader. Any takers???
            In addition we each push the tools to the limit in our own way - therefore one of us may see a problem someone else may never see.
            You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• SnapOnKid
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Wheel
              I think you nailed it. I'd also bet that at least 75% of the scanners sold - all platforms included - only see use as a code reader. Any takers???
              In addition we each push the tools to the limit in our own way - therefore one of us may see a problem someone else may never see.
              I have actually gone to other customers for my snappy dealer and looked over some of the scanner issues he has come across. And I am in now way an expert... It baffels me not just in the fact that there in buissnes but that there able to even use it properly. Some times it's something simple like some one messed with the WIFI settings. Other times there is a patch update that fixes an issue. Other times the people are just not smart enough.

One customer could not comunicate for the transmission on a car Via the OBD 2 But he failed to read the instructions that said it required a different cable and connector for the manufacture specific stuff. Then he started saying that he didn't have it. So I made him pull out the original box from were ever he had it sitting... It was right there inside. I already knew it was part of the kit he had purchased and that He had all the optional adapters. so we got it out and tried again but there was an issue so i tried to get the patch but he had a Wifi issue. Then they he said the battery would not charge. I asked him to show me How he was trying to charge it. He was using the cigarette lighter adapter for the OBD1 port... I had to explain how the verus is 17 volts and would not charge from the 12 volt. He thought I was full of it because the old brick worked that way. So I showed him the tag on the back were is specifies 17 volts... he was like oh...

I hooked into the hot spot on my phone and got the internet going. he must have been messing with the settings because it would not connect so I changed the setting to the same as my unit. Then I downloaded the patch for him and got him all set up and running again. He was so amazed that it was all so simple. He thought there was something wrong with the tool. Turns out his Shop WIFI was junk and he just needed the latest patch. When I was done the dealer called me later and said the guy has never been happier and was so thankfull i was able to get it fixed right for him.

Comment

• sbreland73
                • Jan 2009

[QUOTE=SnapOnKid;28673]Other times the people are just not smart enough. /QUOTE]

See my signature.

I have already said this a few times, but todays hi-tech stuff, be it cars, computers, or even your microwave, you gotta have a bit of smarts.
                S. Breland

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

[QUOTE=sbreland73;28676]
                  Originally posted by SnapOnKid
                  Other times the people are just not smart enough. /QUOTE]

See my signature.

I have already said this a few times, but todays hi-tech stuff, be it cars, computers, or even your microwave, you gotta have a bit of smarts.
                  LOL R-T-F-S and R-T-F-M come to mind.....

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Wheel
                    No way I'm taking that bet, it's probably more like 85% or more......

Ya, we all push the envelope, but I only expect it to do what was originally advertised and promised. When it doesn't is when I get peeved. The scan tools are nothing more than a method of gathering information. The more information the better.
                    Ya can't fix what ya can't find.....(as in MISSING PIDS-!!! )

Comment

• Oct 2007

I know of at least 2 other shops that have no clue how to record a movie. They drive and watch the screen while they drive and hope to be able to view the correct PID and see a glitch. I would rather drive and pay attention to the road and review the data at my desk while sipping a cup of coffee and be able to review the data frame by frame if I need to.
                      Im with you CRUSTY more info is what I want give us what we pay for as advertised.

Comment

• Wheel
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
                        No way I'm taking that bet, it's probably more like 85% or more.....

Well... I WAS trying to be nice.

Don't reckon I'll make any easy money off of you on this one. I'll look for suckers to rip off elsewhere.

Ya, we all push the envelope, but I only expect it to do what was originally advertised and promised. When it doesn't is when I get peeved. The scan tools are nothing more than a method of gathering information. The more information the better.
                        Ya can't fix what ya can't find.....(as in MISSING PIDS-!!! )
                        What is advertised should be the least we expect.
                        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• sbreland73
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Crusty

LOL R-T-F-S and R-T-F-M come to mind.....

"Manual? What manual, it didna come with any manual! Oh, it's on the device itself? Whatsa PDF?"
                          S. Breland

Comment

• Oct 2007

A PDF is a portable document file Acrobat Reader is used to open and save the PDF files. It is a free download.

Comment

• sbreland73
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by ephratah service center
                              A PDF is a portable document file Acrobat Reader is used to open and save the PDF files. It is a free download.
                              Thanks, but I knew that, it was just quote from "Billy Bob" the generic guy that does not know how to use the equipment he has. I was refering to SnapOnKid's post above.
                              S. Breland

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                                • Jan 2011

You guys are always a hoot!!! At least from this side... I am sure there are some that aren't as pleased to hear it. I guess this thread went to hell in hand basket.

On a serious Note, Has any one else noticed the Toyota refersh rate on older Toyota's???

Comment

Working...