X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Don't ever under estimate a one hour job in the Midwest

2004 Honda Accord with code for open RF speed sensor , half hour diagnosis and a half hour to R&R, no problem pulling the code, and no problem to pull the wheel for a visual inspection. Nothing looks broken, well looks like I have to access the sensor connector buried behind the steel tubing for Ohm testing. Laying diagonally across the motor with some card board beneath , get the connector fastener popped out of the fender apron area , so I can get harness outside of the steel tubing to get my hands to disconnect . I disconnected but cant work on my beer belly in Contortionist mode to pin check a speed sensor, so I figure I'll just undo the speed harness grommet and pull the F'n connector out into the wheel well to Ohm check sensor, but it has another harness anchor point 4" away behind the strut spring , so I can't pull the connector through the harness grommet hole, like WTF! So I can't even fit a extra long needle nose pliers through the front spring coil , so I'm getting kinda pissed , so I take a long punch and knock the fastener through the hole and then I can ohm test the sensor which tested open and bad
    In anticipation of replacing the wheel speed sensor I soaked rust penetrant on the knuckle around the speed sensor beforehand , so I get the bolt out but the speed sensor wont budge , gently twisting or prying upwards. I try a little harder but it cracked off in there, and I try drilling a pilot hole and using a sheet metal screw , no luck . Drilling deeper and another attempt with the sheet metal screw with some torch heat on the surrounding area on the knuckle, still no luck. I drill even deeper after digging out what i could with picks and a mini screw driver , and the sensor tip drops out inside a trapped area between the outer axle joint and the wheel bearing. Arrrggg! Now I'm in a panic , to Get it out! Get it out! now committed to separate the axle joint from the knuckle which I had to do . I reamed the hole with a 3/8" drill and a rotary file and cleaned all metal shavings from the inner wheel bearing dust seal area.
    Last edited by Witsend; 08-10-2014, 03:28 PM.
Working...