Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

No More GM RPO Stickers

In case you were looking for a RPO sticker on a 2018 or newer GM, they don't have them any more. Instead they're using a QR code in the drivers side B pillar. https://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=7888
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

You would think that black speckled square of gibberish will get all screwed up and become illegible after a few years. I'm thinking the info now can be pulled right from the Body Computer and be displayed on a GM scantool without having to resort to a Smart Phone App that might auto pay GM $25 from your Chase account just to be able to DeGibberize it.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Any QR reading app will work I think. I needed the RPO for an 18 Silverado suspension for an alignment and found this info after futile search for the label. I don't have a cell phone much less a smart phone so I had to have someone else read it for me. Maybe a new scanner app is in order. I've never seen the RPOs in the body control module. I have GDS 2 so maybe I'll look some time with that.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

Good info! Thanks for the link.

I personally haven't seen anything that new yet my self. We will probally need to find something to download on the scan tool.

We are Going to need that for certain repairs and ordering replacement parts.

Comment

• BRIAN617
          • Dec 2016

If you have a subscription to CompNine you get get all the RPOs from the VIN, However they may not have that info for that year model yet. But for the older stuff that has a missing or unreadable RPO this works great.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Witsend
            You would think that black speckled square of gibberish will get all screwed up and become illegible after a few years. I'm thinking the info now can be pulled right from the Body Computer and be displayed on a GM scantool without having to resort to a Smart Phone App that might auto pay GM $25 from your Chase account just to be able to DeGibberize it.

I definitely would agree with Witsend about the stick on label getting “ damaged “ and / or torn.
            Here in the UK where I currently am, I have come across the labels they stick onto B pillars and similar, getting caught and torn or scraped which does make them utterly unreadable

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
              In case you were looking for a RPO sticker on a 2018 or newer GM, they don't have them any more. Instead they're using a QR code in the drivers side B pillar. https://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=7888
              The RPO label isn't on a customers' 2015 Impala either.

Too bad. The Regular Production Option labels helped everyone make sure they got the CORRECT parts for the vehicle the first time.

Progress Huh.....

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Look under the spare tire cover?

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Look under the spare tire cover?
                  Nope...
                  On this particular customers vehicle I called one of the few good dealers, and they confirmed that the RPO labels are no longer being put onto the vehicles.

They would be in the glove box, on the glove box cover, in the centre armrest console at the bottom or on the lid. They would be on the trunk lid, on the spare tire cover (either top or bottom) and on one of the trunk side panels.

There are times large corporations make decisions that ultimately work negatively, this move is one of them.

One manufacturer parts department (Ford) insisted that I had to find the number on the sticker tag on an EGR valve (that probably cooked off 80,000 miles ago) before they could get us the correct EGR valve. The parts guy was a very good experienced person and the listings were many for that model vehicle, and the wrong one could have caused problems.
                  We got lucky but an RPO label would have identified the correct part right away had that manufacturer had them.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                    • Apr 2011

That's 100 times better than stickers. Most cars still have them, but now that it's digital, it'll be super easy. Thanks for the info greasybob

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

That's 100 times better than stickers. Most cars still have them, but now that it's digital, it'll be super easy. Thanks for the info greasybob
                      Not really, when GM is being a Pr@ck and putting stickers too far back in a tight spot that makes it very very difficult to get a Smart phone with a reader App in between the B-pillar and front of the rear door and focus a camera properly to read the Gibberish that's meant to F@ck the aftermarket and it actually screws their own poor Parts guys that have to deal with way more of their time getting wasted with nuisance phone calls requesting option codes.
                      I also cant seem to find out how to get temperature to display in Fahrenheit on a 2018 Chevy Trax. Guess I'll see what I can Access with my Maxi Cyst and report back later.

Well, went to scan the 2018 Trax with a Maxi Cyst and it read and auto ID'ed the VIN just fine but after Id , but before continuing , it prompts you to select the correct 3 digit engine code for the 1.4L. I call and get from dealer. I paint it on the VECI label where it belongs. The Maxi Cyst then prompted me to select the correct 3 digit radio code that I had to call a dealer again and enter code IOR before doing an Auto Scan which scanned 14 modules . If you do GMs with a Maxi Cyst , even old ones ,you know you do have to select engine and RPO codes and be able to access the RPO codes some how if you have 2 or 3 choices for same engine sizet . I am not sure if it really matters for just doing an AutoScan if you were to just guess and enter wrong RPO code , but live data, active tests, special functions, and coding without having errors, that is dependent the correct RPO code for the prompts. Not sure if Snap On requires such selection prompts to be made for GMs , but if it doesn't require selection of specific RPO codes ( IF THE SNAP ON SCANNER HAS AS MUCH FUNCTIONALITY WITHOUT FINDING OUT THE CORRECT RPO CODE ) then that's a good thing to not have to deal with that Bullsh@t.

I was wondering
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Witsend; 09-19-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• juniur
                        • Oct 2016

ive never had to deal with the RPO codes i do remember having to give the ford dealer the calibration code to get correct parts.

Comment

• Crusty
                          • Dec 2007

Not really, when GM is being a Pr@ck and putting stickers too far back in a tight spot that makes it very very difficult to get a Smart phone with a reader App in between the B-pillar and front of the rear door and focus a camera properly to read the Gibberish that's meant to F@ck the aftermarket and it actually screws their own poor Parts guys that have to deal with way more of their time getting wasted with nuisance phone calls requesting option codes.
                          I also cant seem to find out how to get temperature to display in Fahrenheit on a 2018 Chevy Trax. Guess I'll see what I can Access with my Maxi Cyst and report back later.

Well, went to scan the 2018 Trax with a Maxi Cyst and it read and auto ID'ed the VIN just fine but after Id , but before continuing , it prompts you to select the correct 3 digit engine code for the 1.4L. I call and get from dealer. I paint it on the VECI label where it belongs. The Maxi Cyst then prompted me to select the correct 3 digit radio code that I had to call a dealer again and enter code IOR before doing an Auto Scan which scanned 14 modules . If you do GMs with a Maxi Cyst , even old ones ,you know you do have to select engine and RPO codes and be able to access the RPO codes some how if you have 2 or 3 choices for same engine sizet . I am not sure if it really matters for just doing an AutoScan if you were to just guess and enter wrong RPO code , but live data, active tests, special functions, and coding without having errors, that is dependent the correct RPO code for the prompts. Not sure if Snap On requires such selection prompts to be made for GMs , but if it doesn't require selection of specific RPO codes ( IF THE SNAP ON SCANNER HAS AS MUCH FUNCTIONALITY WITHOUT FINDING OUT THE CORRECT RPO CODE ) then that's a good thing to not have to deal with that Bullsh@t.

I was wondering
                          Unless they've changed, what I believe are legal requirements for vehicle VIN/Serial numbers, the 4th digit is the carline (trucks the 5th), then the engine is the 8th digit, and the year is the 10th digit.
                          If a scanner can read the VIN, then it SHOULD be able to find the 8th digit, (they seem to be pretty good at finding the year), but sometimes it can't seem to recognize the engine digit.
                          As for the radio, IDGAF, unless there are issues that are related to the radio. If other things don't look right, just select another radio option code.
                          There are some websites that will decode a VIN, but it's still another wasted step.
                          The RPO code stickers must cost all of 1/4 of a penny.......BIG gain for the company to eliminate those, waste peoples time, wrong parts ordered, etc.
                          As for the dealer parts systems that want the VIN entered to search for parts, they're not always correct either.
                          I ALWAYS have the VIN ready for any parts person, and I can't count the number of times I've had to tell them to take the VIN out of their computer to find the right parts, dealers AND aftermarket.
                          Everybody "thinks" technology has all the answers....(sigh)

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

Unless they've changed, what I believe are legal requirements for vehicle VIN/Serial numbers, the 4th digit is the carline (trucks the 5th), then the engine is the 8th digit, and the year is the 10th digit.
                            If a scanner can read the VIN, then it SHOULD be able to find the 8th digit, (they seem to be pretty good at finding the year), but sometimes it can't seem to recognize the engine digit.
                            As for the radio, IDGAF, unless there are issues that are related to the radio. If other things don't look right, just select another radio option code.
                            There are some websites that will decode a VIN, but it's still another wasted step.
                            The RPO code stickers must cost all of 1/4 of a penny.......BIG gain for the company to eliminate those, waste peoples time, wrong parts ordered, etc.
                            As for the dealer parts systems that want the VIN entered to search for parts, they're not always correct either.
                            I ALWAYS have the VIN ready for any parts person, and I can't count the number of times I've had to tell them to take the VIN out of their computer to find the right parts, dealers AND aftermarket.
                            Everybody "thinks" technology has all the answers....(sigh)
                            I get frustrated that even though I have auto ID of the VIN that saves time not having to do an actual VIN digit entry and not dealing with personality keys on an Autel MaxiSys, I often have a choice to make of 2 to 4 different engine codes with different KW rated power for the same particular liter size engine, then it asks if car has Radar Cruise, Laser Cruise. (No, but there's a Tom Cruise movie in the F@c!ing DVD player.) WTF, shouldn't the car manufacturers be required to have option information just be pulled and displayed by the scan tool on Auto ID? On a complete system scan does Snap On Scanners require these selections. Seems like something that shouldn't require making a selection until you go into Bi directional testing, special functions, or coding.PITA

Comment

• juniur
                              • Oct 2016

reminds me of the times ive worked on the old IH trucks, unless you had a "build sheet" you had no way of knowing what was on that particular truck

Comment

Working...