Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockp2
    • Nov 2016

Problem with download

Brand new to this forum. I'm trying to download the Shopstream program but I keep getting the message on my browser that the program is known to be unsafe and it won't let me download. I'm on a Windows 10 machine and am using Google Chrome as my browser. I have tried following the links I have sen here for the Windows 10 download but they basically take me back to the same download link, so I assume I've already been trying to download using the correct link. Is there a work around or can anyone shed any light on how they got past this issue? Thanks very much.
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

It's just not "authorised", or, "sanctioned", by Microjunk. Probably because SnapOn didn't pay the extortion Microjunk wants to "approve" it.

Comment

• rockp2
      • Nov 2016

Thanks, but it's the browser preventing the download. Could be a whole other issue with Windows when trying to install it. But first I need to download. If anyone could tell me how the got past this, I'd appreciate it very much.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Yeah, I probably wouldn't want to run SSC on any OS newer than a windows 7 OS (or what the Verus Edge uses) and definitely not risk running it on a PC that you may still be running any older version automotive PC based repair program off CDs or DVDs without paying for a current subscription for it now that everything is internet based.) Now a days , not only Big Brother is watching , I think any program you install , especially free programs come at a risk of the creators of it knowing some of your business and potential of seeing a nag bar pop ups and eventually getting a window security update that render old repair system software program unusable. Some thing to consider.
        Last edited by Witsend; 11-13-2016, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by rockp2
          Thanks, but it's the browser preventing the download. Could be a whole other issue with Windows when trying to install it. But first I need to download. If anyone could tell me how the got past this, I'd appreciate it very much.
          I've got it running on several computers and laptops. Win-XP and Win-7. I'm pretty sure some people have it running on Win-10.
          Just because XP isn't "supported" anymore, doesn't mean it can't FUNCTION.
          So it isn't getting anymore "updates"....so what....I don't hook those up to the internet. I use them as computers, not Farcebook port holes.
          In fact I have a couple of very old DOS programs still running with multi-boot setups so those very good reliable programs, designed to run on a computer, still do what they're capable of (which is much more than "internet based" junk for those applications)
          You should be able to override the browser manually. Download it to a USB stick, or just to a folder on the desktop. Then you can take it and put it on an older XP or Win-7 machine and install it and use the program just fine.
          It's a great program and I havn't had any problems that have caused anything to go wrong. Sometimes it won't read the movies of newer tool versions but that usually gets fixed in a sensible length of time.
          It will run just fine without being connected to the 'net.
          SSC was the deciding factor for me going with SnapOn years ago. Because I've saved files manually from customers vehicles for many years, I always have "known good" and "known bad" recordings that I can refer to anytime as long as the computer boots up (without the bloody internet-!!!)

Comment

• rockp2
            • Nov 2016

Thanks for your responses and my apologies for not responding sooner. Since I first tried to download the program unsuccessfuly I haven't tried again, yet. Just to be clear I'm not trying to pirate anything. Just tried to download SSC to install on my computer using the Snap On website (I am new to scopes and purchased a Vantage Pro). The problem was the browser wouldn't let me download because it said it was known to be "unsafe". I'm used to getting the warning messages that allow me to ignore the warning and continue a download, but this one was the first it flat out wouldn't download.

Thanks for the suuggestion of putting it on an older-not-connected-to-the-internet machine. I have one in my garage that holds my Autoengenuity program, so I'll put it on there. Just need to be able to download it I'll try different browsers and see if there is some security setting I can temporarly disable to download the program.

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Here is a copy from another website for a procedure that should work.
              I'm glad this fellow posted a relatively simple method for getting around this issue....here it is.....
              ---------------------------

Below is a method from Snap-on Diagnostics to get past the
              alerts in Google Chrome.

If you are attempting to download ShopStream Connect via
              Google Chrome and it is being blocked, follow these steps to
              complete the download.

1. One the red Google block screen click on DETAILS (lower
              left)
              2. Click on VISIT THIS SITE (mid last sentence)
              3. The download will begin

----------------------------------------

Hope this works for you. I have some computers that haven't seen an internet connection for years....and guess what..(LMAO)...they work just fine... Very often update patch, upon update patch, upon update patch, actually creates problems and conflicts.

Comment

• rockp2
                • Nov 2016

Well, continued to try using the trick listed, but Chrome would download and then dump the file claiming there were none safety issues with the program. So I switched to Microsoft Edge and it downloaded and installed no problem. Thanks for the responses fellas. Really appreciate it.

Comment

• jimbo4822
                  • Mar 2014

I am having a problem with this today. I was using Shopstream and it popped up and said there was an update yesterday. I tried to download the update and before it even starts a download says there is a problem with the internet connection and dumps the update. This is on two separate computers one on wifi one hard wired to the network. Still not working this morning. Possible issue on Snap On server?

Comment

Working...