Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jadidaskv
    • Nov 2017

Solus pro shutting off

So i jus got a solus pro which i thought seemed like a great scan tool that i was going to be able to update in the future. I was reading last night and someone said since the solus and other models were out for x amount of years before snap on stopped allowing them to update, than the pro would have at least a couple-few more years left. Now im reading that they had just recently stopped updating them or will be very soon with the 17.2 being the last. Someone said 16.2(or 4) was the last but someone else said he had 17.2 on his. Im pretty bummed out because i got this scannner thinking id have at least a year or two to save up for the final update since mine is only 14.4. Any idea if 17.2 is the last and when the pro will no longer be able to update or if its already stopped?

Ok my real issue. Hooked up to an 07 accord and trying to diag a p0498 code. I went into functions to run an evap system test, but when it tells me to start the engine, the solus pro turns off when i turn the key to start the engine. I hooked it up to the cig lighter/12v port, still doing it so i can't run this test, or apparently any test that ill have to start the engine after its already connected. I dont see why it would do this if so many tests would have to have the engine started to run them. Not very happy about this. Eventhough i only paid $300, i feel i wasted my money since not only am i most likely $#!+ outa luck with updates, but i cant do anything that has to have the engine started after its already been plugged in
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

What's probably happening is two things. First the Solus-Pro battery may be weak or run down. Second the vehicle battery may be low and the combination of the two, then cranking (which lowers the voltage even more) and the scan tool gets an unstable voltage supply.
    For only 300 smakers you only need to figure out how to keep the power to the scan tool stable and you have a good platform. They cost thousands when new.

Comment

• Jadidaskv
      • Nov 2017

Hmmm....interesting. I didnt think there was a chargeable battery. I thought it just worked when it got power from the obd2 port or the cig lighter port. Can the battery be charged? If so how since it didnt come with a cord to plug into a house outlet? Or does it need to be replaced?

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

The Solus-Pro has a removable battery under the right side rubber hand grip.
        It charges in a separate charge station that came with the equipment originally.
        Download the users manual. Look around this site and you'll find it.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Hmmm....interesting. I didnt think there was a chargeable battery. I thought it just worked when it got power from the obd2 port or the cig lighter port. Can the battery be charged? If so how since it didnt come with a cord to plug into a house outlet? Or does it need to be replaced?
          Does it have a small circular cigar lighter/ ac/ adapter charge port adapter Maybe you can plug that into an auxiliary external battery jumper or piggy back a 12v lith ion battery to back of the Scanner like I did with a DS 708. I generally had the battery disconnected when using it on most vehicles because I didn't want something to fizz inside the scanner if the car's battery was run low or especially during cranking the motor over. Supplemented the car with a good charger or boost pack when battery voltage drops enough to turn the scan tool off

Tips, tricks, questions and suggestions... If you want to talk codes, data, functional tests and troubleshooter, this is the place!
          Last edited by Witsend; 11-12-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• Jadidaskv
            • Nov 2017

Ya before i bought the scanner i seen a video showing a removable battery, but then when i met up with the person selling it, he didnt know it had a removable battery n when we took off the right cover, it looked dif than the video i seen so i thought it may have been a dif scanner in the video. After reading the first post, i found the battery.

It didn't come with an external charger or an ac/dc plug, only the cigar lighter one.

Comment

• Jadidaskv
              • Nov 2017

I just talked to snap on about updating the scanner, they said 17.2 was the last update for solus pro, and they just released 17.4 last month.

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

14.4 isn't too bad. You only spent $300 and hopefully has all the old style OBD I connectors to cover yourself for OBDI cars. Oh well Snappy don't want to sell the Final Legacy updates for all the old platforms they discontinued and now you can't even share all the old OBD1 connectors from the old platforms on the new platforms without having to purchase a $400 + OBD adapter kit to work on an OBD1 car once in a blue moon. Think its making a lot of sense budget challenged folk like you that would have spent $999.95 on a Snappy update get all p@ssed off and just use the money to buy a brand new competitor's offering with a one year warranty and updates from the Orient for the same kind of money and if you get p@ssed off and get the h@ll out of the trade and just drive a truck for a living you don't have thousands left to pay off on it
                Last edited by Witsend; 11-26-2017, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• GypsyR
                  • Jul 2017

OooooK. Just an FYI, you can buy an ODBII to I adapter EAA0355L93A for like $35 that will allow you to connect your old OBI cables and adapters from earlier scanners on even the newest scanners. I'm using some old MT2500 adapters even with a Verus Edge because of that adapter. There's a version that's like $20 more that is a cable type but I didn't buy that one and don't have a part number handy.

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

OooooK. Just an FYI, you can buy an ODBII to I adapter EAA0355L93A for like $35 that will allow you to connect your old OBI cables and adapters from earlier scanners on even the newest scanners. I'm using some old MT2500 adapters even with a Verus Edge because of that adapter. There's a version that's like $20 more that is a cable type but I didn't buy that one and don't have a part number handy.
                    That's some good information to know. $35 for a Snappy adapter is palatable, but having to drop $400 plus for a new proprietary design OBD1 adapter kit, for something used once in a blue moon on antique plated cars be a deal breaker for some.

Comment

• GypsyR
                      • Jul 2017

OK, I have not seen the $400 thing. The $35 one works with the cable from our old Solus (for one) and allows our Zeus, Verdict, and Verus Edge all to communicate with OBDI cars using any of the older legacy Snap On OBDI connectors and adapters we have. So I don't get what you would spend $400 on. Or what we would at any rate.
                      One reason I pointed out the $35 adapter is that it's commonly called a DA-5 but it doesn't show up in the online catalog at all and a search for DA-5 returns nothing. You have to use the actual part number. Like they'd rather you not know about it or something.

Comment

• Jadidaskv
                        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Witsend
                        14.4 isn't too bad. You only spent $300 and hopefully has all the old style OBD I connectors to cover yourself for OBDI cars. Oh well Snappy don't want to sell the Final Legacy updates for all the old platforms they discontinued and now you can't even share all the old OBD1 connectors from the old platforms on the new platforms without having to purchase a $400 + OBD adapter kit to work on an OBD1 car once in a blue moon. Think its making a lot of sense budget challenged folk like you that would have spent $999.95 on a Snappy update get all p@ssed off and just use the money to buy a brand new competitor's offering with a one year warranty and updates from the Orient for the same kind of money and if you get p@ssed off and get the h@ll out of the trade and just drive a truck for a living you don't have thousands left to pay off on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YapERdfa3VI
                        Ya it's absolutely ridiculous that they stop allowing updates. I get it they want to make more money by selling ppl new scanners to stay up to date, but not everyone can afford $4000 for a new scanner, theyll just go get a scanner some where else. They'd still make money selling the updates instead of losing customers that will get a scanner else where. Especially since i missed the last update by less than a month, thats jus bulls#!+. Like if they're going to stop allowing updates for a scanner, at least give ppl a little time to get the update, like 6months or so after the new version comes out since they are constantly updating/putting out new versions, at least allow 6months or so after the new version comes out ao ppl that have a scanner that cant get the new update on their older scanner to have some time to get the last version their scanner allows. That doesnt seem unreasonable at all. Since the solus pro has the cf card, why can't we just get a cf card that has 17.2?

Comment

• Jadidaskv
                          • Nov 2017

Not everyone that has snap on tools and scanners has a snap on truck that comes to them every week so they dont know when their diag tools will all the sudden be obsolete. Not everyone that has snap on tools has an account to make payments on $4000 scan tool. Ya you can do the update subscription, but again, not everyone has that or knows about it. The ppl that dont have it, pay quite a bit more for their updates, so it would be a good idea for them to allow 6 months to get the last update when a new one comes out that their scanner cant use, there's just that much more time that make that much more money since they'll be paying more for the last update than the new on their scanner wont take since they arent getting the discounted price having the subscription. Thats like $300+ more for each update for them, and a happy customer that will probably get a newer scanner when they can afford it instead of going somewhere else. Missing the last update by a month or two will just make ppl not want to get a snap on scanner when it comes time to buy a new scan tool.

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

OK, I have not seen the $400 thing. The $35 one works with the cable from our old Solus (for one) and allows our Zeus, Verdict, and Verus Edge all to communicate with OBDI cars using any of the older legacy Snap On OBDI connectors and adapters we have. So I don't get what you would spend $400 on. Or what we would at any rate.
                            One reason I pointed out the $35 adapter is that it's commonly called a DA-5 but it doesn't show up in the online catalog at all and a search for DA-5 returns nothing. You have to use the actual part number. Like they'd rather you not know about it or something.
                            On the latest Edge Line up ,Just hope all the old style OBD I and Euro Connectors of the older scanners will work with the adapter. Not sure the OBDI master adapter kit includes the Euro adapters and green personality keys if still needed. Something to consider If you trade in an old tool with all your old adapters your going to have to source OBD I adapters somewhere, and I can't say with certainty using ones from a Port Freight 08 kit in a pinch with an adapter might be risky business if the scanner side of the pin out might be different on some.

Not everyone that has snap on tools and scanners has a snap on truck that comes to them every week so they dont know when their diag tools will all the sudden be obsolete. Not everyone that has snap on tools has an account to make payments on $4000 scan tool. Ya you can do the update subscription, but again, not everyone has that or knows about it. The ppl that dont have it, pay quite a bit more for their updates, so it would be a good idea for them to allow 6 months to get the last update when a new one comes out that their scanner cant use, there's just that much more time that make that much more money since they'll be paying more for the last update than the new on their scanner wont take since they arent getting the discounted price having the subscription. Thats like $300+ more for each update for them, and a happy customer that will probably get a newer scanner when they can afford it instead of going somewhere else. Missing the last update by a month or two will just make ppl not want to get a snap on scanner when it comes time to buy a new scan tool.
                            I think the Final Updates Of all of Snap On's discontinued Platforms should be made available for at least a decade and be called a Legacy updates and at the time of purchase you are have a 90 day satisfaction warranty that the old discontinued scan tool still works fine with it or you can get a $1000 trade in credit on top of any promotion price on a new platform plus the next update is free. That is how I think it should be to keep from losing people to competition.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Witsend; 11-16-2017, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• GypsyR
                              • Jul 2017

Umm, OK.
                              You quoted what I said but apparently didn't read it.
                              I said: "The $35 one works with the cable from our old Solus (for one) and allows our Zeus, Verdict, and Verus Edge all to communicate with OBDI cars using any of the older legacy Snap On OBDI connectors and adapters we have"
                              Then you said:"On the latest Edge Line up ,Just hope all the old style OBD I and Euro Connectors of the older scanners will work with the adapter"

We HAVE the latest Edge lineup and ARE USING the old OBDI adapters, some so old they came with an MT2500. No hope to it.

I see the $400 Kit you're talking about. I've upgraded platforms a couple of times and still have ALL my adapters. A scenario where you toss your adapters in with an upgrade deal and then have to buy them all over again after you realize you just threw away out your entire OBDI capability doesn't make any sense to me.

Comment

Working...