Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • autojoe
    • Oct 2012

p0442 p0455

working on a dodge caravan 2002 2.4l engine.........checked if vent valve held vacuum based on a tsb.......it held vacuum.next I smoke tested from purge solenoid blocking the throttle body opening and only place smoke came out was the egr pressure transducer.I don't work on many chrsyler evap.......my question when I ran evap service bay test it came back with a large leak code.I ran smoke through system from purge solenoid and only place smoke came out was egr transducer..........would the leak detection pump prevent smoke from getting through rest of system?what is proper way to smoke test this design system?also read ldp diaphragm leaks.how would I test for this?thanks in advance.joe
    Last edited by autojoe; 08-28-2016, 03:30 PM.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Connect your smoke machine to the EVAP side of the purge line, not the vacuum side of the purge line.
    Turn the smoke machine on.
    Smoke will come out the EVAP Vent
    Pinch the hose to stop the leak at the vent, or whatever other way to want to plug the leak.
    Now that the system is sealed, go look for the real leak.

Note: The test above only checks for leaks, and doesn't check the LDP. The vast majority of problems with this vintage of Dodge vehicle is leaky lines and NOT LDPs.

If you don't find a leak, and want to test the LDP,
    Connect your smoke machine and turn it on.
    Start the vehicle.
    Most Dodge vehicles will cycle the LDP once when started. If your vehicle does this, you'll see that the smoke has stopped coming from the vent filter and the system is now sealed.
    If your vehicle doesn't do this, use your scanner to command the Leak Test. The LDP will cycle, and as long as your smoke machine is putting pressure to it, the system will seal. As soon as it does, shut the vehicle off, and the system will stay sealed.
    Go look for your leak.

If you have a Snap-on EVAP Tester, you can call the Tech Support line for it and they can walk you through this test if you're having trouble with it.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• autojoe
      • Oct 2012

Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

If I recall, there is a short stubby section of hose about 2" long kinda hidden near AC accumulator where the tubes join together that tends to split in the middle.

Comment

• autojoe
          • Oct 2012

Thanks for reply..... I replaced that about 2 years ago when had a evap code. It was under air box.

Comment

Working...