Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baddodge
    • Jan 2019

What scanner will work?

I got a 2001 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins engine. I need to change the PCM (not the ECM) Which scanner is capable of changing the Vin and the milage. And what software does it have to have? TIA Eric
  • Baddodge
    • Jan 2019

Any help???

Comment

• bestdamgarage
      • Apr 2016

Autel 908 might it.DRB 3 will for sure.J-BOX good luck.

Comment

• Glide
        • Jan 2015

What he said.Plus you will also need secret PIN from Chrysler.

Edit: You didn't say if you are using new or used PCM,not sure if you can change mileage in used ECM.
        Last edited by Steve6911; 01-21-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Glide
          What he said.Plus you will also need secret PIN from Chrysler.

A 2001 May or May not have SKIM, if he still has the factory keys an easy way to tell is if the head of the key is Gray it has SKIM, if it is Black it does not.

Comment

• BRIAN617
            • Dec 2016

If its a used PCM you will not be able to change the VIN or disable security if so equipped.

If it is a used PCM without security enabled it will work, but have the wrong VIN.

If it is a new PCM most of the Snap On scanners can write a new VIN only.

As far as I know, there are no Sentury (SKIM) keys on that year model truck.

The only people I have found that can change VINs and disable security are the ECM rebuilders and some aftermarket tuning suites. The dealer (our dealer) cannot remove/change either one.

I have done quite a few of these style PCM swaps.

Sometimes you will have ABS VIN mismatch DTCs in the ABS module.

Comment

• Baddodge
              • Jan 2019

It's used one. It is before you had to buy a new one and only one use of it. It is a exact match to part number.
              Last edited by Baddodge; 01-21-2019, 01:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to add last line

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

If it is something that can be done with a scan tool , the scan tool needs to at least stil be able to communicate with the bad ECU to pull out the necessary information first. Here is a you tube video of how every day Smucks can do it without a J-box or a paid sub.I'm sure some relearns and adaptations might be in order besides

Comment

• Glide
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by BRIAN617

Yup,more often than not.

Comment

• Baddodge
                    • Jan 2019

Is this abs happen with that old of a truck. It's a regular key no micro chips in key. It's black head key

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Is this abs happen with that old of a truck. It's a regular key no micro chips in key. It's black head key
                      Today 04:50 PM
                      I wouldn't just judge by the color of the plastic of supplied key. Some times it might be a Valet key.Do an Autoscan and look for anti theft , SKIM /SKREEM Look for a theft lamp on cluster, take the cover off around the key cylinder to be sure it is not equipped , make sure the Used PCM you got is not off a vehicle that is equipped SKIM/ SKREEM if the recipient vehicle isn't.
                      Maybe just before the donor PCM is installed , besides the SKIM module being unplugged, maybe the ABS module should also be disconnected until the Scan tool Force Writes the VIN and the other transferred coding to the PCM , and after turning off key , plug them back in.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
                        • Apr 2016

Originally posted by BRIAN617
                        If its a used PCM you will not be able to change the VIN or disable security if so equipped.

If it is a used PCM without security enabled it will work, but have the wrong VIN.

If it is a new PCM most of the Snap On scanners can write a new VIN only.

As far as I know, there are no Sentury (SKIM) keys on that year model truck.

The only people I have found that can change VINs and disable security are the ECM rebuilders and some aftermarket tuning suites. The dealer (our dealer) cannot remove/change either one.

I have done quite a few of these style PCM swaps.

BS the DRB3 will change the vin and mileage i have done it.Snap on pass through pro 3 will allow a vin change with the tool box and no subscription.

Comment

• Steve6911
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bestdamgarage
                          BS the DRB3 will change the vin and mileage i have done it.Snap on pass through pro 3 will allow a vin change with the tool box and no subscription.
                          The Pass-Thru-Pro 2 can do it also with the Toolbox, or its supposed to. Its been a long time since I did a used PCM. The last time I did one it was still hit or miss, here is a post where it didn't work but there are instruction screens posted.

Comment

• BRIAN617
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by bestdamgarage
                            My dealer has never been able to change VIN or eliminate security with factory tool.

Are you able to change it on the JTEC and NGC both?

Comment

• Glide
                              • Jan 2015

I have changed VINs,but not mileage with Solus Ultra.With DRB III and secret pin(if it has skim) I have installed several used ECM/PCM on Dodge trucks,but sometimes even after setting pinion factor the ABS light stays on with various mismatch codes.

Comment

Working...