Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akicestorm
    • May 2009

passthrough pro 3 vs 4

hi all so im totally new to this. I just got a ptp3 for what i think was a good deal at 200 bucks. i was wondering the limitations of it vs the 4. is this thing only good till a certain year of vehicles. or is it hit or miss depending on the mfg? most vehicles i see are 2016 and older with most of those being on t he older side. should i keep this or try to make a few mucks on it and get a pvp4?
  • ToltecasChavez
    • Apr 2011

From what someone mentioned, the Passthru 3 is double channel while the Passthru IV has 4 channels. Some newer models require 3 channels or more to communicate with certain modules. Someone asked a question here about that, but not sure if it's true at the end. I haven't programmed any newer models above 2017. I use my cardaq plus 2 and haven't had any problems yet. That is equivalent to the passthru pro 3. The new Cardaq Plus 3 is the same as the Passthrupro IV.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
      • Apr 2016

For 200 bucks if it works you'll make your money back quickly.Keep it.It wont work on super new stuff like chrysler with mega can and like i beleive 2020 some gms.Steep learning curve good luck no get you a laptop set up and partitioned if you gonna do multiple makes you'll be required to have windows ten very shortly home version dont work you need pro and specific acrobat reader versions.Also need to use internet explorer and take off alot of security and set the computer to know the oe sites are safe.Oh yeah keys and certain modules on newer stuff require LSID.https://www.nastf.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1 http://www.drewtech.com/technician/index.html

Comment

• akicestorm
        • May 2009

thank you guys. this is all great information for me i appreciate it. have new laptop otw. has win 10 home. but i got a 10 pro i can install. stayed with intell for proc as i was worried if AMD could cause issues. i also figured i can set it up for dual boot to win 7 if needed. will use IE if i gotta but will avoid it if i can lol. need to get battery maint. any recommendations? also looks like i got a lotta reading to do lol.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
          • Apr 2011

If you have never programmed a car, keeping a dual boot of windows 7 is great. Even though most OEM have said they'll be switching to windows 10 soon. Some already require it along with newer Intel Cores i5 or i7. Follow nastf.org for the latest news on OEM software and tools. Also the cardaq toolbox has a news section, very informative. And learn by trial and error. Good Luck!

Comment

• akicestorm
            • May 2009

yeah i went with an i7, 16gb ram. figured that outa do. one thing i have noticed with this PTP3 i got. is the data cable to the car looks just like the one on my verus. its red and same PN#. however in all the online pics i see for the PTP the cable has yellow and blue ends. is this an issue i need to deal with or are the cables the same?

Comment

• akicestorm
              • May 2009

Never mind on the cable. I had my SO dealer call SO and the guy said the cable is not the same as the scanner D4 cable. He also referred me directly to Drewtech for the cable as they do not offer a replacement from SO. I got one otw from Drewtech. 85.00 not bad. Shipping tho... well Im used to it from everyone else too as im in Alaska. But 60.00 to ship it sucks.

Comment

• tech25
                • Oct 2017

as far as a battery charger for programming, its very important, make sure the battery is good, and i try to fully charge if its a long program session, like BMW or something.

only use newer computer controlled battery chargers. to do it correctly you can get a dsr power supply meant for flashing, like this one.

Automotive diagnostic equipment sales and support for professional automotive technicians, schools, instructors, and trainers. Services include custom manufacturing and product development.

but damn, they are expensive... so this is the one i use.

it has worked great. just charge the battery before, because with some of the newer cars, just key on they will consume 40 amps

also, make sure when you flash a car. the windows are rolled down, all loads are off, like lights, and ac blower, and if possibly have it on a lift.

trust me, if there is a crash. you dont want to be locked out, or have the car stuck in the middle of the shop..

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                  • Apr 2011

Hey, that West Marine charger looks nice. Do you know how long it will last on average when doing programming? Thanks!

Comment

• tech25
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by ToltecasChavez
                    Hey, that West Marine charger looks nice. Do you know how long it will last on average when doing programming? Thanks!
                    I really like it,

not really sure what your asking, but its fully automatic, just like the other one but not as much power, 70 amps, vs 40 amps. but it will last as long as you need for programming.

it tells you how much amps are going into to battery while charging. so when the battery is 100 % charged, it says ful, and turns off.

now when you turn the key on, and turn the charger on, it adjust the amps to keep the voltage around 14 volts. and will stay on as long as you need.

make any sense??

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                      • Apr 2011

Yes. Thank you for the very detailed answer. I will def be buying one soon enough.

Comment

• akicestorm
                        • May 2009

okay so, i'm making progress. got the new data cable for the PTP3, laptop arrived and i've gotten as far as getting the tool box software installed, going to a/c delco tds site, I decided to start with buying one vehicle programming access. I got the software installed. Had a problem with it reading the vin. Ended up having wrong driver installed. Got that fixed and now the GM software sees the vin when connected to a vehicle. I have not proceeded any further as I simply have not had the time. But i have a question about the tech2 win and GDS software access. The 3 days access is that on a 72 hr timer as soon as i get it? or is it on a timer as far as usage of the software?

Comment

• jm43130
                          • Apr 2008

The software is on a 3 day as soon as you buy it.. The programming is good for 2 years on a specific vin , only for as many module there are associated with that vin. That is, older vehicle might only have 2 module that can be programmed, but newer vehicles could have 20 or more modules. It doesn't matter which modules you program, but that the number of times you use subscription for that vin. You can flash pcm 20 times if needed.

Comment

• akicestorm
                            • May 2009

thank you very much.

Comment

• greasybob
                              • May 2008

About that 3 day GDS access. Nothing to see here .
                              Last edited by greasybob; 02-01-2020, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Working...