Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Member General Discussion Forum > General Discussions > What Do You Want In Your Snap-on Diagnostic Tools
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Snap-on Diagnostics Ethos Plus
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 07-05-2016, 02:57 PM

Wheel Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasybob View Post
I think that horse has decomposed.

Yes, but is the stench the dead horse or the corporate bean counters? all those beans are being used somewhere that they are hiding.

Interesting concept though. Instead of ten different platforms (scanners). One scanner with different (optional) viewing formats.
I and others gave them lots of good reasons why the option to view LIVE
data in Shopstream's format is an advantage, but no one ranking high enough in the Snap On corporate hierarchy cares what their customers think or want. I am just thankful that they left Shopstream pretty much alone
other than genuinely improving it by slowly ironing out the bugs in a system that truly worked rather than giving it a total facelift that nobody asked for.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:45 PM

greasybob Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Great new idea !!!! You know when you auto ID a vehicle with your scanner ? How about a pop up screen that says " A Previous Entry Of This Vehicle Has Been Found, Would You Like to Continue With This Or Start A New One ? It would have to do a VIN search but with todays scanners that shouldn't take more than a few nano seconds.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:24 PM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

If you plan to see how recently it last came in and what for, other than that, I don't want more **** being saved then necessary. Port Freight 08 remembers old vins that can save you a little extra time typing on older cars on initial entry, Just wish the F'N thing would remember the same VIN I entered minutes before when I go to save things and I have to type in the VIN again along with a file name. ex Turd 1 Turd 2 or Turd3
Old 09-23-2016, 04:34 PM

greasybob Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

It would be an easy way to check vehicle history. before you begin work. Check saved data, past codes, date last worked on and miles if entered.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:34 AM

Trindaddy Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Default Actuator test 2004 Tacoma 3.4 Auto 4wd

Had to break out 8+ yr old Launch x431 to have ability to actuate Canister pressure control VSV (bypass) valve! Has evap (purge) and CCV VSV but no bypass on my 16.2 loaded Modis Ultra. Done in minutes after toiling over how to completely test bypass valve and ECM control of it. Thought it wasn't offered by OEM but there it is on the old Launch..disappointing.

Vin: 5TEHN72N94Z402580
Old 06-12-2017, 06:14 PM

The setup procedure for GM Body Control modules. The older Impalas. G6, Malibu's and such where it wasn't an SPS programming, just enter the VIN, maybe the mileage and check the correct RPO's. It's been 10 years or so since these were new but they made millions of them so they'll be around for a while and BCM failures are common.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:00 PM

I've mentioned it before, the thing that is needed now more than ever is the ability to save the data when performing functional tests. Some of these tests and resets can take as long as an hour to perform. It's not practical to remain at the scanner during the duration of these tests, such as diesel regenerations but if the test fails or interrupted by an out of spec parameter it would be nice to be able to go back over the data to see what tripped the trigger. I include a data shot below of a DEF fluid quality test I was performing on a 12 duramax, which can take some time to complete, You can see the PIDS I graphed and why you might want to look at history of the test if it fails, or just to see the cause and effects as various devices are activated during the test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171027-2123-1.jpg (144.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-28-2017, 03:48 AM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Bob, you just hit on my constant request for the machines to NOT DUMP THE SAVED DATA BUFFER WHEN THE SCANNER RECIEVES NO COMM.
The ECM is either finished, or not happy with something, completes and shuts down..... we get a "NO COMM" message.
We turn the ignition on again (or whatever we have to do to re-establish communications) and all the data that WAS available is wiped clean.
Now we HAVE TO waste time, sitting there watching the screen, doing the same test AGAIN, for possibly an hour, HOPING to catch, or save a movie that captures the event that the ECM wasn't happy with.

A classic example is the Key-Off evap natural vacuum self testing. We have no warning, nor any way of knowing when, nor why, the self test either completes or aborts.

Simple solution.... DON'T DUMP THE BUFFER until we acknowledge that we want to clear the data and start all over AGAIN.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:17 PM

SnapOnKid Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

I would like the ability to update my tool list on this Web site...