X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Air Travel with a Verus Edge or MaxiSys

Putting the VCI or Jbox in the check in luggage , and take the Tablet scanner as a carry on would present a problem going through security with TSA since it is not technically just a typical laptop or tablet people normally try to bring on the plane with them? I am visiting family , and odds are I'll be looking at something on someone's car, and since these things can search internet, watch you tube , email etc , I might like to have it along instead of wife's Kindle Fire or my laptop. Anybody familiar with taking your Tablet scanner in your carry on? Did it present a problem for you to get past TSA? Can the X-ray ,scanner machines corrupt the SD card/ hard drive if it is turned off ?
  • Tech_A
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
    Putting the VCI or Jbox in the check in luggage , and take the Tablet scanner as a carry on would present a problem going through security with TSA since it is not technically just a typical laptop or tablet people normally try to bring on the plane with them? I am visiting family , and odds are I'll be looking at something on someone's car, and since these things can search internet, watch you tube , email etc , I might like to have it along instead of wife's Kindle Fire or my laptop. Anybody familiar with taking your Tablet scanner in your carry on? Did it present a problem for you to get past TSA? Can the X-ray ,scanner machines corrupt the SD card/ hard drive if it is turned off ?
    The primary concern is the battery, nothing powered by a lipo battery in the belly of the plane.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

The primary concern is the battery, nothing powered by a lipo battery in the belly of the plane.
      The plan is the Tablet scanner part be carry on and The VCI J box part that has the cable and but no internal battery would go in the suit case. I'm just worried that the programmer and the DLC cable in my carry on with the tablet would be flagged as a unknown security risk. Like to keep it all together , but who knows? I would hate to find out they won't let me board the plane with it .I'm going to separate the cable from the wireless VCI and put in my check in luggage (because cable might be seen as a risk onboard) I figure bring the VCI and scanner together in my carry on with some packing list about the scanner and just see what happens.
      Last edited by Witsend; 08-31-2017, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

The plan is the Tablet scanner part be carry on and The VCI J box part that has the cable and but no internal battery would go in the suit case. I'm just worried that the programmer and the DLC cable in my carry on with the tablet would be flagged as a unknown security risk. Like to keep it all together , but who knows? I would hate to find out they won't let me board the plane with it .

Comment

• Tech_A
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
          The plan is the Tablet scanner part be carry on and The VCI J box part that has the cable and but no internal battery would go in the suit case. I'm just worried that the programmer and the DLC cable in my carry on with the tablet would be flagged as a unknown security risk. Like to keep it all together , but who knows? I would hate to find out they won't let me board the plane with it .
          yeah that would be quite upsetting and a hassle. During my last trip i only had my laptop on me with all its various cables. Departing my location was standard search procedure, but departing my destination was not; shoes were left on, laptops in bags, very lax etc..

I would assume your sd should be ok cause people pass phones through x-ray with external sd's and or larger portable drives (which look more suspicious).

If you want to take a more pre cautious method you can mail your stuff their priority mail.

Too bad you cant just jump Pin A to Pin B at the diagnostic connector anymore.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

I fly most every week of the year with my scanners. It is OK to check them or take them on as a carry-on. No problem.
            If you carry them on, it will most likely be swabbed for explosives. Most uncommon electronics are scrutinized, as they should be. Just pull them out of your bag and put them on the belt in a separate container and you'll be fine. They'll probably ask you what it is, and maybe even have you turn it on.
            If you check them, it's only SPARE lithium ion batteries that are a problem. Ones installed in the scanners or other electronics are fine.

Joe
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Thanks Joe, It survived trip going through the image scanners ok I think .Scanned an 07 Cadi DTS and Maxi Cyst spit out a Powertrain code for a Body related Climate Controlled seat module. Think it's just a normal par for course glitch and nothing to do with damage from the Xray scan.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...