Verus trade in value?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

The small bluetooth dongle is supposed to beep noisily if left connected to a car that gets too far away from the Zeus. Ours doesn't beep, Snap On is looking into why and they will likely just replace it. It works fine other than not beeping.

The bluetooth range on on it is very surprising. We've had it to the end of the parking lot and still connected to the Zeus inside the building. About 30 yards. That's about three times as far as the Zeus will maintain a wifi connection. Same as our Verus and Verdict though. Perhaps time for us to look into a wifi repeater for the shop.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

The small bluetooth dongle is supposed to beep noisily if left connected to a car that gets too far away from the Zeus. Ours doesn't beep, Snap On is looking into why and they will likely just replace it. It works fine other than not beeping.

The bluetooth range on on it is very surprising. We've had it to the end of the parking lot and still connected to the Zeus inside the building. About 30 yards. That's about three times as far as the Zeus will maintain a wifi connection. Same as our Verus and Verdict though. Perhaps time for us to look into a wifi repeater for the shop.
      I think the Zuess Tablet itself will beep if you exit diagnostics and the dongle is not removed from the DLC within a certain time frame or if you go out of the blue tooth range.

Comment

• GypsyR
        • Jul 2017

According to the Zeus user's manual the DLC fob is what is supposed to beep. Beeps upon being plugged into a DLC, when vehicle communication has ended, constant beep when being driven out of range, etc.

By the way, the Zeus manual has been posted here in PDF form:

Comment

• wagzilla
          • Oct 2014

dongle

the dongle cost $1600 to replace and a bunch of paper work to prove it's yours

James

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
            So you get a wireless scanner and you have to tie a string to it ? I kind of like the big bulky thing that you trip over exiting the vehicle.
            Wish there was a big GREEN THUMB for your post....

Comment

• GypsyR
              • Jul 2017

New dongle beeps when connected. VERY quietly. It's hard to hear in the shop.
              We got them out of range to where the bluetooth connection was lost but no beeps. Maybe there's a time delay but we got tired of fooling with it.

$1600 boggles the mind. Especially if you're like me and paid less than $20 for an ELM 327 type bluetooth dongle for your phone and/or laptop.

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Holy S---, I would try and see if a Blue Tooth Dongle of a Chinaman Maxi Cyst MS906BT could be paired to one. Other than the shell cosmetics It appears to be almost identical Dongle with the same kinda LED light. If it works you can order a brand new Hole filler BlueTooth Chinaman scanner with the dongle :rolleyes
                Last edited by Witsend; 10-05-2017, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Cavalier3400z
                  • Dec 2015

Originally posted by GypsyR
                  New dongle beeps when connected. VERY quietly. It's hard to hear in the shop.
                  We got them out of range to where the bluetooth connection was lost but no beeps. Maybe there's a time delay but we got tired of fooling with it.

$1600 boggles the mind. Especially if you're like me and paid less than $20 for an ELM 327 type bluetooth dongle for your phone and/or laptop.
                  I called snapon about this a week ago because I left mine in a customers car for a few hours and did not realize it and had to have them come back to the shop to get it back. Snapon told me that it beeps one time after being disconnected or out of range for 10 mins while connected to the vehicle. They said after that it beeps once ever 2.5 mins after that. This is unacceptable and it is the same beep as the connection beep. It should be sooner than 10 mins and more frequent then 2.5mins. No one will find it at that rate not to mention how quiet it is. I am only in my 20s and I can imagine older people cannot even hear it. If my customer can drive around for hours and not know it is there, this needs to be fixed or I am going to add a remove before flight tag. HAHA

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

No one will find it at that rate not to mention how quiet it is. I am only in my 20s and I can imagine older people cannot even hear it. If my customer can drive around for hours and not know it is there, this needs to be fixed or I am going to add a remove before flight tag. HAHA
                    If I was in my 20s I would be using a Sh@t scanner with a cable and paying off a Hayabusa instead, and making myself deaf at rock concerts.

Comment

• Tech_A
                      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
                      If I was in my 20s I would be using a Sh@t scanner with a cable and paying off a Hayabusa instead, and making myself deaf at rock concerts.
                      I ponied up for a little ducati monster and financed a solus pro (CE).

A remove before flight flag is not a bad idea, but I've left a 4 cell mag flashlight and smog remotes in customer cars so many times. Fortunately we had our business card taped to the back of the remote.

Id probably double stick tape a leash to the dongle and attach it to my wrist. "patent pending"

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Id probably double stick tape a leash to the dongle and attach it to my wrist. "patent pending"
                        You probably be better off in the long run just to sacrifice the sweet convenience of that little illumination light feature of the dongle and just keep the dongle plugged into a cheap 5 foot OBD cable extender at all times to prevent wear and tear and possible bent dongle pin, and put a quick release suction cup attachment on the dongle and stick it to the center of the windshield in plain view and maybe even increase it's Blue Tooth Range. You"ll probably be able to buy a 5 foot LED illuminated OBD cable extension from China in a few months before you can even get your patent pending leash idea off the ground.

Comment

• MerschATX
                          • Nov 2017

Keep in mind also that the software which is the big difference in the two is additional cost to the unit. Without it it is pretty much just a newer Verus according to the rep. I didn't jump to the zeus for that reason. An additional 4k was not in the budget. I do have a good rep though and as long as you are trading up he gives you the entire purchase price of your current diag tool as trade in.

Comment

Working...