Heritage Vantage features not in newer tools

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

I have to congratulate SO on finally bringing something back to us. I've been on this forum over a year, and continually hear many techs asking to bring back old features that have been deleted or thought to be useless. Now, we get something back, if only on the two top models, this is a step in the right direction! Keep asking for things guys, and it might just show up when you least expect it
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by phill57
      Appears it was not included with my 14.2 updated on my heritage Verus. Not sure why it would be excluded..
      There is no excuse for it.
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
        I have to congratulate SO on finally bringing something back to us. I've been on this forum over a year, and continually hear many techs asking to bring back old features that have been deleted or thought to be useless. Now, we get something back, if only on the two top models, this is a step in the right direction! Keep asking for things guys, and it might just show up when you least expect it
        14.2 is the first update since the 10.4 mistake to return something.
        Let's encourage them to pursue THIS trend rather than the other.
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• sbreland73
          • Jan 2009

Originally Posted by phill57
          Quote:
          Appears it was not included with my 14.2 updated on my heritage Verus. Not sure why it would be excluded..

Originally posted by Wheel
          There is no excuse for it.
          Actually, there is. The hardware was not designed for it (Modis, the first two versions of Verii, and I am guessing the Vantage Pro). So despite everyone BEGGING for graphing ohms to return, it was more than a matter of writing some code to make it work. My understanding is that the Verus Pro scope hardware was designed to do it, just the software had to be written. Which came latter than the initial release. I can certainly understand a person's frustration over this.
          S. Breland

Comment

• Wheel
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sbreland73
            Originally Posted by phill57
            Quote:

Actually, there is. The hardware was not designed for it (Modis, the first two versions of Verii, and I am guessing the Vantage Pro). So despite everyone BEGGING for graphing ohms to return, it was more than a matter of writing some code to make it work. My understanding is that the Verus Pro scope hardware was designed to do it, just the software had to be written. Which came latter than the initial release. I can certainly understand a person's frustration over this.
            Vantage Pro has it. As far as the scopes on the old verus and Modis, they aren't really any different than the Verus Pro's, except for the ability to remove it and use it with a usb cable - a nice feature I may add.
            Also, the fact remains that these have the ability to obtain ohms readings, and if they can be obtained, software can be written to graph them.

People see this for what it is - a "push" to get them to upgrade.
            People resent being pushed, and I feel this will backfire on Snap On.

Future purchasers of Snap On diagnostic tools will (or should be) watching how well Snap On takes care of present tool owners and how well they support these tools, because their expensive newer tools will be in the same boat someday. How easy Snap On makes it to continue using and upgrading an older tool for as long as possible would definitely influence my decision on buying anything newer.

Comment

• phill57
              • Oct 2007

Graphing Ohms

I agree with Wheel.

I don't see how Snap-On can say the hardware does not support it. The original vantage did from day one. Then the Vantage Pro was released and initially could not which was fixed with a purchased update. The second generation Modis did not either and It was later added. Now the generation 1 Verus has never been able to and I have had mine since 2009. I was somewhat disappointed to see that feature missing but frankly I give up asking. I called Tech support yesterday and the rep was in agreement that it shouldn't be different but called me back after he updated his model 323 Verus and said that there was a "Hardware limitation that prevented that feature from being available". Personally I think Wheel is right, this is a way to encourage us to buy new hardware. I just wish that Snap-On would sell us just the software package and the scan/scope modules and let us put the software on the computer we feel meets our needs. All of their hardware is outdated or definitely below current pc specs when it is sold. Even the Verus Pro doesn't meet some manufacturer's specs for hardware for J2534 programming and diagnostics.

Comment

• Wheel
                • Jul 2007

The fact they are offering these things at least on SOME equipment is an improvement. There are still many original Vantage abilities that have never been offered since. RPM graphing in many cases is extremely useful for diagnostics in many cases, especially in transmission diagnosis when used with the pressure transducers.
                The Vantage used to also have a very long timebase setting of 16 hours per screen - handy for pesky draws and the like. The only sad thing here is the only tool to have this feature also didn't have the battery life to really support it. newer tools you could plug in and take advantage of this if it were available.

The original Vantage was really an amazing tool to be able to do so much with so little. The newer tools have so much more potential and yet still lack so many features that this too has that still continue to work so well.

When they say they can't do something that has already been done, one has to wonder how they could ever do it in the first place.

Comment

Working...