Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

Body off Chassis??

Customer has a failed duramax head gasket in a 2005 GMC 3500. I've never replaced head gasket on duramax. I know a lot of people recommend pulling body off chassis, but I don't have that option right now. Is it possible to replaced passenger side head gasket with body still on chassis?
    I'm just wondering if I should just send this guy to another shop? Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated. Thanks.
  • diesel71
    • Feb 2008

Its doable, you can loosen the cab bolts and jack just that side up alittel to get your clearance. I prefer to do them cab on.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

12 year old truck, It also depends on how rusted the bolts are that hold the cab to the body and how rust ravaged the bottom sides of the truck cab already is , and whether or not it can even be raised up on one side or not.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

There is a few You Tube videos out there of it being done with the cab on.

Keep track of everything...

Comment

• Matt
          • Dec 2008

Thank you everyone. Time is not urgent on this project, at least customer says that now. I think I'm going to give it a try.

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

Just some info here. The left and right head gaskets are different and they come in 3 different thicknesses based on how high the pistons protrude the deck the old gaskets should be marked.

Comment

• Johndave
              • Sep 2017

Great info so far. Thank you guys!

Comment

• Matt
                • Dec 2008

Wow. I know this thread is old and boring but I wanted to let everyone know that I finally got this rig back in the wind. The machine shop did a pressure test on the original head and confirmed a crack in the #1 injector bore. I installed a reman head. I did not lift body off chassis. I just removed the hood and right inner fender to grant access. I also left the turbo on. If you leave the turbo on you will need to remove and install the head with the intake manifold attached to the head. Thank you everyone for your help. I never would have attempted without your blessing.

Comment

Working...