Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Missing Data Parameters 03 Dodge Ram 1500 Instrument Cluster

Well here is another issue with missing data parameters.

I'm working on a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Horn issue. VIN 1D7HU18N33J579180. and Verus Pro with 17.2 software. Horn does not work and it has to for a safety check. Scanned the Front Control Module and no codes related to the horn. The horn switch on this vehicle is an input to the Instrument Cluster (CCN) and the request to have the horn blow is a message sent across the PCI bus to the FCM which grounds an integral relay in the TIPM. (yes I know they are problematic). The Bi-directional control of the horn yields no result and the 20 amp fuse in the TIPM is good.

Now to check the actual horn switch you must view data in the instrument cluster, CCN as there could be a problem with the clockspring too. Unfortunately the Snap-On software does not list the status of the horn switch so there is no simple way to confirm the instrument cluster is getting the proper switch input. Before performing testing at the lower end of the column or instrument cluster I decided to try another brand of scan tool. I fired up my Maxisys 908 and it had the status of the horn button in the data list to the CCN. Knowing the input is being seen by the Instrument cluster when I press the horn button I can now focus on the TIPM. I also noted there are several other important data parameters missing that are available on the Maxisys 908. These include the status of the brake switch, all four door switches, park brake switch and driver seat belt switch. Diagnosis of these circuits would definitely benefit from these data parameters as well. I will post a video on youtube shortly and update with a link here.

I tried to ID the Dodge as a 2004 but the data list was the same.

Here is the Youtube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIKlzFOw5kM
    Last edited by phill57; 10-04-2017, 06:07 PM. Reason: added Youtube Link
Working...