X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

On car fuel injector cleaning

I finally bought one of them , but wondering if these things actually work more often than not, or might pose to be more of a fire risk than a money maker?
    It also is capable of intake cleaning with correct adapter. In my opinion, I think after an intake cleaning service I would likely need to change the oil and filter and spark plugs and might run risk of compromising the Cats or O2 sensors, so I'm not a big fan of doing those services.
    I think I will first leak check this Taiwan Knockoff outside the garage with a pint of gasoline inside it first. Nothing says with a pint of gasoline in it and a portable air tank with an air hose , you wouldn't be able to start and drive a no start car with a bad fuel pump into your stall, instead of pushing it
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Witsend; 08-12-2017, 08:02 PM.
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

WOW!!!! You bought one of those?!?!?!?! Welcome to 1990!

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

WOW!!!! You bought one of those?!?!?!?! Welcome to 1990!
      Yeah, and I wonder if BG still has those multi colored disks in the bottom of the flush chemical cans you can fish out and save for a beer money? Strange None of the Auto Parts stores in my area even sell non aerosol cans of fuel injector cleaner. One supplier just ordered me 6 bottles of Ultra Cleen.
      Looks like I would have to do some injector balance testing before and after cleaning procedure on a few cars to see if it actually makes any measurable difference or not. A friend of mine wants me to do a brake fluid flush, and perform the throttle body and fuel injector cleaning service for him on his 49K 2008 Dodge Ram because it was recommended service when he had it in for a oil and filter change at dealership. I was surprised they missed what was needed, like the OE copper plugs where .043 gaps were worn over .060, the air filter filthy, and time for the worn rear brake pad replacement.

Comment

• Tech_A
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
        I finally bought one of them , but wondering if these things actually work more often than not, or might pose to be more of a fire risk than a money maker?
        It also is capable of intake cleaning with correct adapter. In my opinion, I think after an intake cleaning service I would likely need to change the oil and filter and spark plugs and might run risk of compromising the Cats or O2 sensors, so I'm not a big fan of doing those services.
        I think I will first leak check this Taiwan Knockoff outside the garage with a pint of gasoline inside it first. Nothing says with a pint of gasoline in it and a portable air tank with an air hose , you wouldn't be able to start and drive a no start car with a bad fuel pump into your stall, instead of pushing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7lv9oMjv_0
        Definitely did that a few times with a larger tank. Maybe one day you can rig it for plugged urea injectors.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Definitely did that a few times with a larger tank. Maybe one day you can rig it for plugged urea injectors.
          You never know it might actually work awesome to loosen and dissolve the soot build up in the DPF but possibly risking a huge backfire in the exhaust system and be replacing a muffler on a truck for free.
          Now I don't have the necessary quick connect adapters included with it and need to find most common ones that work .I was hoping to get 20% off with a coupon used on the $89.99 Harbor Freight Master Fuel injector test kit , figuring Taiwan Cr@p gonna Fit Taiwan Cr@p better than USA OPP or Snappy but it was a no go trying to connect it's hose to one of the HF quick connects, but worked on a old Ford TBI adapter in my tool box , so either got to order the Westturd brand adapters or find something from Smac ,Matchco, Snappy , or OPP that might fit

Comment

• Matt
            • Dec 2008

I've been using MotorVac brand MV3 (#400-0020) fuel system detergent for a long time now. A few data PIDs I check before and after a carbon clean are: fuel trims, MAF g/s, MAP.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Only If I have an intake off the engine while doing intake gaskets. I might try to clean some runner gunk outof an intake . Electronically controlled Throttle Bodies I never spraying any cleaner into. Just use a shop towel with some cleaner on a rag. Sometimes I go gently with a scraper if its really built up on there. Intake deposits washed down into the cylinders is going to just solidify back into tar and then change to carbon on the piston tops, ring grooves , back of exhaust valves and possibly, foul a plug, stick rings or contaminate crankcase oil. Its hard to say how effective it is at cleaning carbon from the backs of intake valves on direct injected engines.
              Last edited by Witsend; 08-13-2017, 07:47 AM.

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

GM CLEENS. Canadian part number 993026. Been around so long it is still a SIX digit part number.
                The 993026 is an aerosol can but the same cleaner can be had in a liquid under a different part number.
                The GM CLEENS will remove carbon and varnish so well that I stopped wasting time & money on traditional "carb cleaner" decades ago.
                If traditional , or even "new" carbon removal procedures don't work, then try the CLEENS.
                If that doesn't work, physical dissassembly is probably the only way.

For pressurized cleaning of Injectors, very few products actually do anything.
                One that worked YEARS ago was "Wynns" which some old foggies may remember.
                I found that the FORD pressurized cans also worked well and the hook up was similar to what Wynns had. Ford produced a complete kit with a whack of hook ups & adaptors for over 90% of vehicles. Not sure if you can still get the hookup kit but the pressurized cans arte still available. (CX I, CX100, or something close)

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

I was surprised that none of the auto parts stores in my neck of the woods stock injector cleaner ( for on vehicle cleaning kits). D&M autoparts ordered a half dozen containers of cleaner for me. The stuff I got is Called Ultra Cleen that is from Standard Motor Products and supposed to be used with their kit.

I also ordered an OTC518542 7/16"x20 GM/Chrysler flexible adapter off Ebay. I didn't have luck locating the 90 degree elbow adapter 528177 that I would have preferred but must be hard to get .
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

For a 90-degree adaptor that fits the older GM and Chryslers, look into an old fashioned R-12 A/C adaptor with a JIC flare.....

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

For a 90-degree adaptor that fits the older GM and Chryslers, look into an old fashioned R-12 A/C adaptor with a JIC flare.....
                      That's a good idea , but I would have to screw the flex hose GM adapter I just ordered onto it that has the proper male end for attaching the quick connect end of the cleaner tool hose or the fuel pressure gauge hose.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
                        • Apr 2016

bg still has the disc i have had the bg work well on gms.Also look inti ac delci88861803 and motorcraft pm5

Comment

Working...